**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #6,526 of 22,116
Quote:
popcorn.gif

What's that for?  You just sittin' on the sidelines waiting to see if I'm going to stir the coals up a bit more in the forum tonight?  
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #6,527 of 22,116
Quote:
Just listened to Tom Waits: Blue Valentine on the he400. It's a little jazzy, a little bluesy, a lotta good!!

Recorded in 1987.  A "young" Tom Waits can be seen playing keyboard in this video along with ... dum, dum, dum ... "Roy Orbison performs "Oh, Pretty Woman" as the finale of the Black & White Night Concert. Backed by Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, James Burton, Glen D. Hardin, Tom Waits,KD Lang, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, JD Souther, T Bone Burnett, Steven Soles, and Jennifer Warnes. Recorded September 30, 1987."

This --->  

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #6,529 of 22,116
Quote:

What's that for?  You just sittin' on the sidelines waiting to see if I'm going to stir the coals up a bit more in the forum tonight?  
biggrin.gif

Maybe 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #6,530 of 22,116
Just received my HE400. I have never heard anything like this headphone. I don't even know how to describe it. It is neither positive or negative I have just never heard anything like it. It's like two speakers strapped to your ears. The soundstage is great. I am trying really hard not to come off all new toy excited.

Going to probably do some ABing with the Annie. Which isn't fair as I am not it's biggest fan.

Just a quickie. Where's the bass on the Annie and the life in the music?

Ok back to the HE400 it is just so welcoming and fun and tight damn is it tight on my head, but still more comfortable then the Annie IMO.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #6,531 of 22,116
Quote:
Just received my HE400. I have never heard anything like this headphone. I don't even know how to describe it. It is neither positive or negative I have just never heard anything like it. It's like two speakers strapped to your ears. The soundstage is great. I am trying really hard not to come off all new toy excited.

Going to probably do some ABing with the Annie. Which isn't fair as I am not it's biggest fan.

Ok back to the HE400 it is just so welcoming and fun and tight damn is it tight on my head, but still more comfortable then the Annie IMO.

Uh Oh.  I think I know where this might head.

On the other hand, congratulations on the HE-400.  Please ensure you have some really solid time with the headphones.  Listen to hours of your favorite music, and go across genres if there happens to be other types of music that you enjoy.  Or, try some other genres just to see if your perspective of the headphones remain the same, as well as possibly opening yourself up to some new music.

Enjoy!

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #6,532 of 22,116
Lol, yes, well compare the mids and highs, and you'll wonder where the vocals are on the HE400, and why the treble is so emphasized.

They're very different. The HE400 is bass and treble heavy, while the Annie is very neutral to slightly warm.

This is why you should never compare two headphones with wildly different frequency curves, knowing that the sound signatures will be too different to compare legitimately.

I love both, for two very different reasons.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #6,535 of 22,116
Quote:
It has nothing to do with improvements. All I'm saying is that the ONLY way I'll EVER consider a leather pad (on ANY headphone), is with a velour top, like the Orpheus. I highly doubt the pads themselves are anywhere near worth the price the Orpheus itself. Anyone who stitches and knows their materials should be able to retrofit a velour 'skin' on the top portion of any leather pads.

Thing is, no one has, as of yet.

I wouldn't expect a magical improvement or anything of the like. In the case of the D7000, I would hope the stock pad's sound remains the exact same, despite the contact area being velour. I certainly had zero desire to fix anything off the D7000 which is why I stuck to the stock pads, instead of going with J$ or Lawton pads which were known to CHANGE their sound. I wanted NO changes. The D7000 is basically perfect for my tastes, and don't need any added or taken away. So if anyone came up with velour tops for the stock D7000 pads that didn't change the sound, I'd be selling all my headphone gear just to get another pair of D7000s.

If the J$ pads add just a small amount of bass to the HE-400 (which would undoubtedly be due to the bigger distance from the driver compared to the other pads), then I'd wanna try them as long as it had a velour top. I wouldn't expect miraculous changes or anything else otherwise, with the exception of the warmer tone the leather would provide over the velours. The HE-400 is already warm enough.

OK, If I were to take a pair of J$ Beyerdynamic pads and professionally separate the pads enough to remove the leather layer that would rest on your skin around your ears, what would the pair of pads be worth?  This is an honest question, so I do expect a somewhat honest answer in return.  After all, the combination of velour and real leather would be a very "custom" modification.  Yet, all kinds of people pay lots of money for custom items that can make their lives better in some way.  Thoughts?

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #6,536 of 22,116
Quote:

I found it odd that you got impressed by HE-400's soundstage after hearing to Annie.

Not that HE-400's is not good, it is indeed. It's just that everyone say the K70x's have one of the largest soundstages under $1000.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #6,537 of 22,116
I have listened to some dubstep, netsky, Weezer, Sarah Barerillas, Colbie Calliat, Phoenix, Kesha, 30secs to Mars, etc.I have enjoyed them all greatly. Just flipping through some of my favorite songs. If anyone has suggestions to make me dislike what I am hearing I am all ears. :)
I said the soundstage was great not better.
The DT990 and CAL with HM5 pads are my favorite headphones up to this point so my views will be very different from an AKG fan I admit this freely.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #6,538 of 22,116
Nothing wrong with the preference. You clearly prefer a 'fun' sound signature. I do too. All the headphones you like are bass and treble heavy, including the HE400. The Annie is very, very balanced, so it caters different things. I do prefer the HE400 for music as I do prefer a fun signature, but overall, I feel the Annie is technically more proficient and better suited for more genres of music. It's not specialized. It's just a great all rounder.

If I was to own just one, it'd be the Annie. But since I own the HE400, and I prefer the bigger bass it has for EDM (which is my fave genre of music), that is what I reach for, for that particular need. Otherwise, the everything other than bass is all Annie.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #6,539 of 22,116
OK, If I were to take a pair of J$ Beyerdynamic pads and professionally separate the pads enough to remove the leather layer that would rest on your skin around your ears, what would the pair of pads be worth?  This is an honest question, so I do expect a somewhat honest answer in return.  After all, the combination of velour and real leather would be a very "custom" modification.  Yet, all kinds of people pay lots of money for custom items that can make their lives better in some way.  Thoughts?

Man, if you did this with J$ Denon pads... I'd probably pay $100 for it (maybe more, not knowing how much the J$ goes for now), assuming I still had the D7000, and it didn't alter the sound...

For the HE-400... don't really have a need for it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #6,540 of 22,116
Quote:
Man, if you did this with J$ Denon pads... I'd probably pay $100 for it, assuming I still had the D7000.

For the HE-400... don't really have a need for it.

The J$ Denon pads are just like the Lawton Audio angle pads, which sell for $99 + shipping.  That's before the mods.  The J$ Denon pads would initially start at a bit lower of a price point.  I currently have 4 pr. of the Denon J$ pads in the box with the Beyer J$ pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back