**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #5,761 of 22,116
Quote:
Yes, most of the times I experience sibilance on the HE-400 is with pop music and over-processed vocals.  Usually those tend to be bad recordings too.  The spike is still something I rather not have though.

I can understand.  But, if one likes what HifiMAN offers, they can go to the HE-500 to minimize this.  But, the cost "to play" also goes up by about $300.00.  That is why if your headphones use the computer as your source, it is relatively easy to EQ via the various audio players that are within our access.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #5,762 of 22,116
Quote:
I understand EQing to user preference, but to fix a considerable problem I'm not sure.  I have seen a few mention that they have found EQ settings that have improved sibilance, but there does not seem to be a silver bullet for those who are reporting it.  I have no experience with Foobar or other equalization software.  I'm under the assumption that they actually assuming control of the computer's audio properties, so is it correct that I could use with MOG and youtube?

I have personally given up on Foobar as of a few days ago.  I had some contention using it with the Wasapi driver as I was switching DACs in an out.  I've moved over to Winamp, and as a preference, I'm happier, and my issues have gone away.  

I basically drop the 6 KHz frequency down a bit and problems are solved.  I don't feel that the EQ masks anything, it just controls the response, so that frequency is "tamed."  You can control the amount of reduction that you want.  Usually, just a few dB does it.  Plus, when reducing that frequency down, it only eliminated the sibilants for me, but doesn't remove any of the other sound qualities that I enjoy.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #5,763 of 22,116
I know I think I've mentioned this before with you, but the 6khz region is the area where HE-400 is recessed the most.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #5,764 of 22,116
Quote:
I know I think I've mentioned this before with you, but the 6khz region is the area where HE-400 is recessed the most.  
biggrin.gif

I was thinking the same thing, I thought the spike was a little higher up the frequency response.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #5,765 of 22,116
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Actually, not in my case.  That is where the sibilants can be heard.  So, I make my cut at that point and the issue is resolved.  We all hear - and are affected differently.  
size]

Originally Posted by beaver316 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was thinking the same thing, I thought the spike was a little higher up the frequency response.

If I apply the cut at 10 KHz, I can't detect a difference.  6 KHz is the "hot spot" for my ears, and hearing.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #5,767 of 22,116
Sibilants are louder than their non-sibilant counterparts, and most of their acoustic energy occurs at higher frequencies than non-sibilant fricatives.  has the most acoustic strength at around 8,000 Hz, but can reach as high as 10,000 Hz. [ʃ] has the bulk of its acoustic energy at around 4,000 Hz, but can extend up to around 8,000 Hz.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibilant

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #5,768 of 22,116
Quote:

I have personally given up on Foobar as of a few days ago.  I had some contention using it with the Wasapi driver as I was switching DACs in an out.  I've moved over to Winamp, and as a preference, I'm happier, and my issues have gone away.  

I basically drop the 6 KHz frequency down a bit and problems are solved.  I don't feel that the EQ masks anything, it just controls the response, so that frequency is "tamed."  You can control the amount of reduction that you want.  Usually, just a few dB does it.  Plus, when reducing that frequency down, it only eliminated the sibilants for me, but doesn't remove any of the other sound qualities that I enjoy.

I just think Winamp is an ugly, counter-intuitive player. I'm shallow.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5,770 of 22,116
Quote:

It looks nice with the Winampple skin. That's the only nice looking skin I could find for it, most are really bad IMO.

It still has two separate windows though which I hate... at least it's better than the default 4.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #5,771 of 22,116
Quote:
It looks nice with the Winampple skin. That's the only nice looking skin I could find for it, most are really bad IMO.

It still has two separate windows though which I hate... at least it's better than the default 4.

For me, I need to have my media library presented to me nicely. I would have stuck with Windows Media Player with the FLAC plugins if I could get a good WASAPI-like plugin and if WMP was able to handle over a terabyte of music!

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #5,772 of 22,116
Quote:
It's at about 9KHz according to headphones.com and innerfidelity.

Sibilance is around ~4KHz-10KHz

I detected the highest peaks using sinegen on 7.7 khz and 11khz with mine. So sibilance is being caused in one of those two frequencies, for me at least.

9khz is pretty fine. Maybe it differs from ear to ear, or maybe from headhphone to headphone.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #5,773 of 22,116
Quote:

I detected the highest peaks using sinegen on 7.7 khz and 11khz with mine. So sibilance is being caused in one of those two frequencies, for me at least.

9khz is pretty fine. Maybe it differs from ear to ear, or maybe from headhphone to headphone.

Same here, to my ears there seems to be a major dip around 9kHz or so, bracketed by two treble peaks. Could be an artifact of the amp or a ringing peak in disguise though.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #5,774 of 22,116
Quote:
Same here, to my ears there seems to be a major dip around 9kHz or so, bracketed by two treble peaks. Could be an artifact of the amp or a ringing peak in disguise though.

There's a major dip in most people's hearing around 9kHz. It's the quietest frequency below 15kHz aside from the bass. That's probably why so many headphones have a peak right there.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #5,775 of 22,116

I think Winamp is incredibly simple and minimalistic. I love it...been using it since...well, basiclally for like 10 years.

That's what I have on the bottom right of my desktop screen. That's all I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back