**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5,791 of 22,116
Quote:
You can't even remove anything from your library without making the files hidden or removing them from the directory they're in.

I haven't seen any screenshots of it where it's set up in the way I want it to be either. But I'm not even going to bother with that when I can't even manage which individual files I want to appear in my library, that's a dealbreaker for me.

Why would you want songs in your library to not be displayed in your library? Isn't that what creating playlists is for? I don't get it.

You can easily arrange music in your windows music section to appear in foobar in all sorts of ways.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #5,792 of 22,116
Quote:
I think Winamp is incredibly simple and minimalistic. I love it...been using it since...well, basiclally for like 10 years.

That's what I have on the bottom right of my desktop screen. That's all I need.

Minimalistic from options, yes, but that's certainly not a minimalistic design :] I have an obscenely large music library and I need more than the mini player.

EDIT: Oh and I am just talking about preference. I won't ever say that one program is better than another (unless you use iTunes, in which case there's something wrong with you :])

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5,793 of 22,116
Quote:
Why would you want songs in your library to not be displayed in your library? Isn't that what creating playlists is for? I don't get it.

I just don't want them in my library period, but still want them in the music folder on my computer.

Sometimes I have them stored as different filetypes for one reason or another, or have files saved in my music directory that I don't want in my regular circulation of music. I don't want to spend time making playlists.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #5,794 of 22,116
Quote:
I just don't want them in my library period, but still want them in the music folder on my computer.

Sometimes I have them stored as different filetypes for one reason or another, or have files saved in my music directory that I don't want in my regular circulation of music. I don't want to spend time making playlists.

You've obviously never spent more then 5 minutes customizing Foobar. You can easily achieve not having certain music files in your regular circulation of music without making a playlist. What difference does it make whether they are visible in the library? Foobar doesn't even play the music directly from the library by default anyway, it moves selected music to a temporary playlist anyway. Whether or not they appear in the library is largely irrelevant.

"I want to store my music in my music library but don't want it to show up in my library, that's a dealbreaker!" lol - that sounds silly to me, but to each their own.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #5,795 of 22,116
Quote:
SIGH!!!!!!!!!

I've got the worst luck... so im listening to music on my he-400s e9+e17 as usual, i go to turn up the volume a bit on a bassy song.. then all of a sudden the left driver loses sound completely sounded like someone just unplugged it........ i switched the wires etc, seemed like the drivers dead? no small no nothing, the connection can't be dead either as it looks fine

have to send them back to the US all the way from australia.. no headphones for over a month i presume....... sigh, i havent even had these for a week

on second thoughts it probably is a connection issue since I've heard the same static "disconnection" sound before in the left driver.. the driver should be fine, nothing DIY solvable though, could anyone suggest how turning the volume up can somehow mess up the connection?

headamp "[size=x-small]The customer is responsible for shipping charges if an item is sent in for service.  Products from other manufacturers have their own warranties."[/size]

[size=x-small]so i probably will lose like $50 and 2 month[size=x-small]s [size=x-small]without [size=x-small]headphones ju[size=x-small]st because the pair i got decides to be faulty, [size=x-small]nice. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

That is EXACTLY how my right driver died but in the HE-6 
eek.gif
. Just turned the music up slightly and it just died (or disconnected inside).
I sent mine to Justin today. It was 40 USD from Europe, but I dont feel like asking him to reimburse that... He shipps them for free with FedEx already, so compared to that, the price I paid for shipping is minicule.
You can also try your luck and ask him if he is willing to exchange the HP (aka he will send you the new pair when you have sent yours) I am still waiting for an answer if he is willing to do that (internationally) but it would be way cool 
rolleyes.gif

I really wish there was some sort of QA control going on... Oh well guess you cant have price performance AND quality all together 
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #5,796 of 22,116
Quote:

That is EXACTLY how my right driver died. Just turned the music up slightly and it just died (or disconnected inside).
I sent mine to Justin today. It was 40 USD from Europe, but I dont feel like asking him to reimburse that... He shipps them for free with FedEx already, so compared to that, the price I paid for shipping is minicule.
You can also try your luck and ask him if he is willing to exchange the HP (aka he will send you the new pair when you have sent yours) I am still waiting for an answer if he is willing to do that (internationally) but it would be way cool 
rolleyes.gif

damn this has me worried, if it happens again i think i'll lose my mind shipping it back again.. why does it happen?? is it my amp?

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5,797 of 22,116
Quote:
You've obviously never spent more then 5 minutes customizing Foobar. You can easily achieve not having certain music files in your regular circulation of music without making a playlist. What difference does it make whether they are visible in the library? Foobar doesn't even play the music directly from the library by default anyway, it moves selected music to a temporary playlist anyway. Whether or not they appear in the library is largely irrelevant.

"I want to store my music in my music library but don't want it to show up in my library, that's a dealbreaker!" lol - that sounds silly to me, but to each their own.

I often shuffle through my whole library, and I don't want certain files showing up in the rotation. Pretty simple.

Most media players have this feature. Foobar doesn't.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #5,798 of 22,116
Quote:

damn this has me worried, if it happens again i think i'll lose my mind shipping it back again.. why does it happen?? is it my amp?

No its not... its the QC in China unfortunately... With Hifiman it is their weakest link. Their ratio of defect produc (or ones that are shoddily made and will malfunction) is reatively high or so it would seem. There are not many ppl here who had their first pair working flawlessly, me included unfortuately :/

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #5,799 of 22,116
Quote:
I often shuffle through my whole library, and I don't want certain files showing up in the rotation. Pretty simple.

Most media players have this feature. Foobar doesn't.

Then move your who library to the current playlist minus the songs you don't want, it takes like 3 seconds. Pretty simple 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #5,800 of 22,116
Before I put the wider piece of foam on my stand I hung them for a few minutes on the small piece and it left a noticeable dent in the headband after just a few minutes. I wouldn't want to hang them like that all the time.

I just double checked and there's no dent... But just in case...

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #5,801 of 22,116
Quote:

Then move your who library to the current playlist minus the songs you don't want, it takes like 3 seconds. Pretty simple 
rolleyes.gif

No, it doesn't take like 3 seconds to filter through all of them.

I really don't know why it's so hard for you to grasp the concept of someone liking a feature that has been implemented in the vast majority of media players. Pretty much every single one that has any sort of library management, just not foobar.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #5,802 of 22,116
Jan 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #5,803 of 22,116
Quote:
No, it doesn't take like 3 seconds to filter through all of them.

I really don't know why it's so hard for you to grasp the concept of someone liking a feature that has been implemented in the vast majority of media players. Pretty much every single one that has any sort of library management, just not foobar.

I just moved 10,000 songs to a playlist and removed a few to make sure you could do it, maybe it took closer to 5 seconds, sorry. If it takes you a long time you simply have your music poorly organized.

Alas this is off track though, so back to the he-400.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #5,804 of 22,116
So I'm reading this thread and a couple of budget options (I can't drop more than 200 and ideally not more than 150) for an AMP/DAC:

Fiio E07K at roughly 90
Fiio E17 at roughly 120
Fiio E07K + Fiio E09K for 200
SchiIt Magni for 100
Schiit Magni + Modi for 200
Schiit Magni + Cheap $50? DAC

What's the best value option here? 

[running the HE-400 exclusively from a laptop with USB-out for a DAC, no other connections (i.e. spdif) needed]

[stationary laptop, no need for portability]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back