**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #5,011 of 22,116
Quote:

Between the 4s, 400s and 500s I own, the 400s are clearly the least neutral of the 3. It is a dark sounding headphones with sparkly treble.

In term of sound signature, I would say:
- HE-400: dark with sparkly treble and recessed upper mids. Maybe not as thick sounding as the 500s but definitely closer to the 500s than the 4s.
- HE-500: warm with mids emphasis. Lush and thick mids, smooth treble and slight bass emphasis (less so than the 400s but not by a great margin). Bass is similar to that of the 400s, maybe a bit more bloomy.
- HE-4: neutral/bright with recessed mids. Airy sounding, energetic treble and sub-bass ('U-shaped" signature), natural mids (yet somewhat recessed). Tighest bass of the 3 but less prominent overall.

From the 3, the 4s are best described as neutral IMO.

I never listened to the HD-600 but from what I could read here and there, their sound signature is closer to the 4's than the 400's.

Yeah Clem, I would say you nailed it. 

However, I would call the mids of the 4s accurate / natural as you said, and not recessed.  They're just not as forward, lush or warm as the 500s but more like what ever the track calls for type of thing. 

The 400s has more emphasis on bass when compared to the 500s.  The 400s extends lower and could be more accurate at times. 

IMO..

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #5,012 of 22,116
I was going to audition He-500, but I don't want to get roped into liking it.

Plus he-400 is still amazing to me, especially now that I fixed my amp and am trying velours again (I appreciate having one set of cans, two different sigs)

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #5,013 of 22,116
My leatherette band is shipping from Orlando FL (to south FL) so I'm thinking I should have it tomorrow.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #5,014 of 22,116
Quote:
I Normally have issues with music like Nickleback, Papa roach, Paramore (Before the HE-400 they were some of my favorite).
I lean much more to Music like David guetta type of music. (I am also starting to enjoy clasical music faaaaar more with those cans)
Fortunatelly HE-400 Is a monster when it comes to gaming (my main hobby).

The reasons i dont like them so much for rock is becuse i get the strange feeling like some songs have the sound distant away from me. I read already somewhere that this might be due to lack of amp, but it sounds weird, since other songs do not suffer from this issue.

Ive been using CDs so its hard to say its the recordings fault.

I wont be able to really test them for a while since untill i get some free time from work, my free time is consumed by gaming :D.

I hope i will be able to compare them to some otehr cans, like the HE-500 or the HD600/700 after the 25th of January (especially since its when the store i visit will get their shipment of Shiit Lyr).

Ill be taking my Papa Roach CD just to test it on their setup and see if its the recording or not :D.

Its something we all have to get used to when we "hear" the details (at last :D)
Every song sounds different sometimes even on the same album and of course different artists, genres, etc.
I am still getting used to my HifiMAN as well, but I think each song sounds just natural and correct :D
Ever feel like missing a bit of bass, a bit of guitar? Well it was intended that way.

Oh, and they are just awesome for gaming :D I dig my HE-6 very much, but HifiMAN are all great and neutral and with that airy sound so I am generalizing the "ortho goodness" :)

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #5,017 of 22,116
Quote:
Gaming is amazing with these. I'm loving it.

So far I'd say the best sounding music on the HE-400 is Amon Tobin. It sounds like it was made for these headphones. That and some of the more recent Bonobo stuff(his earlier stuff is great but not as high quality).

I've recently discovered Bonobo, good stuff!

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5,018 of 22,116
The he-400 are the gift that keeps on giving.

I've definitely come to like them more over time.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #5,019 of 22,116
Hey guys
So I'm dying to get a pair of these.  So I convinced myself to stop shopping and finally start saving up for a pair.  Really excited 
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I'm now just considering the amp for these babies.  I have three options right now.  I want to use these for both at home and portable use (by portable I mean moving around the house).  So I could get;

1.  Fiio E17:  would give me the option to use it both on the go and on my laptop. Plus it's a amp+dac in one.  The main reason I'm considering the E17 is because it also portable.  I currently own the fiio E11 which I use with my ipod.  I'm not sure if it would do well with the HE-400's.  If so I could just use that as my portable amp...

2.  Schiit Magni:  May get the Modi with it as well in the future, but based on my budget I that wouldn't happen any time soon.  I know I wouldn't be able to use it portable (would be nice to know if my E11 would drive the HE-400's well)

3.  Fiio E10:  Based off the review it sounds like it would a good/cheaper option.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is both an amp and a dac correct?  If so, would it do better or on par with the E17 for the He-400's?

Would appreciate any opinions on which of the three would do best.  I have an ipod touch and ipod classic, my music is all 320 mp3 (if it helps to know that).

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #5,020 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys
So I'm dying to get a pair of these.  So I convinced myself to stop shopping and finally start saving up for a pair.  Really excited 
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I'm now just considering the amp for these babies.  I have three options right now.  I want to use these for both at home and portable use (by portable I mean moving around the house).  So I could get;

1.  Fiio E17:  would give me the option to use it both on the go and on my laptop. Plus it's a amp+dac in one.  The main reason I'm considering the E17 is because it also portable.  I currently own the fiio E11 which I use with my ipod.  I'm not sure if it would do well with the HE-400's.  If so I could just use that as my portable amp...

2.  Schiit Magni:  May get the Modi with it as well in the future, but based on my budget I that wouldn't happen any time soon.  I know I wouldn't be able to use it portable (would be nice to know if my E11 would drive the HE-400's well)

3.  Fiio E10:  Based off the review it sounds like it would a good/cheaper option.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is both an amp and a dac correct?  If so, would it do better or on par with the E17 for the He-400's?

Would appreciate any opinions on which of the three would do best.  I have an ipod touch and ipod classic, my music is all 320 mp3 (if it helps to know that).

I don't recall FiiO E10 having a battery, so it needs to be plugged in at all times (aka not portable). If you want portable listening then out of those 3 options, E17 is the only real way to go.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #5,021 of 22,116
If you need a portable solution, I think that the e17 is a worthy contender. It really drives the he400 well. I have read good things about the small schitt stack but have not heard it myself. But if I could benefit from a portable, I'd have no problems choosing the e17. You might also look at the e07k. It's a hair off from the the e17 at $60 cheaper. 

I bought mine from sonic electronix via ebay. They have an option to "make an offer." I offered $80, list is $89, and it was accepted instantly with free shipping. I'm listening to it now and it's quite good. 

I bought two and have one for sale btw...
size]

gL!!

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5,022 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't recall FiiO E10 having a battery, so it needs to be plugged in at all times (aka not portable). If you want portable listening then out of those 3 options, E17 is the only real way to go.

Yea I know.  That's why I wanted to know if the E11 would drive the He-400 well, that way I could just focus on either the Magni, E10 or E17 for my pc.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #5,023 of 22,116
Just bought the little Schiit stack. I wouldn't be adverse to sharing the love to those wanting to try it out (trusted members) with their HE-400, especially since I have two other amps that drive it well in the mean time (Little Dot MKIII and Fiio E17).

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #5,025 of 22,116
Quote:
Just bought the little Schiit stack. I wouldn't be adverse to sharing the love to those wanting to try it out (trusted members) with their HE-400, especially since I have two other amps that drive it well in the mean time (Little Dot MKIII and Fiio E17).

I wouldn't have enough money to get both the Magni and Modi.  So the E17 would drive them well?  Also is the E10 an amp+dac?  Again if anyone knows if the E11 would drive the He-400's well I would like to know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back