**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #5,026 of 22,116
If I didn't have O2 and ODAC and got them both used for same price, I would have tried the M&M stack.

People in /r/headphones seem to like it enough with HE-400.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #5,028 of 22,116
I'm scared to buy amps and stuff used. I know Matt suggested a gently used Schiit Lyr but with things like that, I'd be too afraid of needing service from Schiit and being screwed if something happens.

This is especially true on "gently used" amps, given that there could be some problems that occur on extended listening that the first owner never got a chance to evaluate. Just scares me.

Yet I buy used headphones all the time ...

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #5,029 of 22,116
Yea, I'm going to be using the HE-400's with music, gaming and maybe even some movies.  Definately want a sense of immersion. I'm pretty sure the E10 has a bass boost function as well.  And the E17 has that and treble boost correct?

I guess it comes down to whether or not I want just an amp (magni) or an amp+dac (E17 or E10)  The E10 is an amp+dac correct?  I remember some one saying it was just a dac.  If it isn't an amp+dac then I guess I'm getting the E17.

Quote:
Welcome to headfi btw!!

Thanks! Happy to be here!

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #5,030 of 22,116
^^ I take the opposite approach. I'd much rather have a used amp than a used hp. The lyr is built like a tank. As long as the is not damage in shipping you most likely be good to go. Some sellers will offer to let you ship back to them so that they can handle the warranty for you if it's non transferable. 

All used stuff is more of a gamble though. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #5,031 of 22,116
Running the he400 from the e07k/ipod/lod now. It has a very nice sound. As good as the lyr? 
size]
 No way, but darn good for $80. Just tried the same setup on the hd650 and maddogs. Still dang good for the money!! 

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #5,033 of 22,116
I hear you, but...for me, the lyr is $450 plus $15 to ship. I got my lyr for $325 shipped and it's mint. That's $140 for music and such. I might get bit in the arse some day, but I'm willing to take that chance for now. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #5,034 of 22,116

Not a big dub stepper, but this is really fun out of these cans :)

I wish I started this hobby with a Fiio instead of my udac2.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #5,036 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys
So I'm dying to get a pair of these.  So I convinced myself to stop shopping and finally start saving up for a pair.  Really excited 
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I'm now just considering the amp for these babies.  I have three options right now.  I want to use these for both at home and portable use (by portable I mean moving around the house).  So I could get;

1.  Fiio E17:  would give me the option to use it both on the go and on my laptop. Plus it's a amp+dac in one.  The main reason I'm considering the E17 is because it also portable.  I currently own the fiio E11 which I use with my ipod.  I'm not sure if it would do well with the HE-400's.  If so I could just use that as my portable amp...

2.  Schiit Magni:  May get the Modi with it as well in the future, but based on my budget I that wouldn't happen any time soon.  I know I wouldn't be able to use it portable (would be nice to know if my E11 would drive the HE-400's well)

3.  Fiio E10:  Based off the review it sounds like it would a good/cheaper option.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is both an amp and a dac correct?  If so, would it do better or on par with the E17 for the He-400's?

Would appreciate any opinions on which of the three would do best.  I have an ipod touch and ipod classic, my music is all 320 mp3 (if it helps to know that).

Quote:
I wouldn't have enough money to get both the Magni and Modi.  So the E17 would drive them well?  Also is the E10 an amp+dac?  Again if anyone knows if the E11 would drive the He-400's well I would like to know :)

Quote:
Yea, I'm going to be using the HE-400's with music, gaming and maybe even some movies.  Definately want a sense of immersion. I'm pretty sure the E10 has a bass boost function as well.  And the E17 has that and treble boost correct?

I guess it comes down to whether or not I want just an amp (magni) or an amp+dac (E17 or E10)  The E10 is an amp+dac correct?  I remember some one saying it was just a dac.  If it isn't an amp+dac then I guess I'm getting the E17.

Thanks! Happy to be here!

After seeing the same question regarding the E10 amp / DAC appear three times, please allow me to answer your questions:

• Yes, the FiiO E10 is a DAC / Amp combination.  It uses the USB input and is not an amp designed for portable use as it does not contain or run off of batteries.

• I've heard that the E10 has a lack of filters, and therefore, is subject to a fair bit of noise when using it with your computer.  After hearing this from a few sources, it was a deal killer for me.  However, if one were to come to me at a good price, I'd be very interested in putting it through its paces.

• The bass boost on the E10 is a one-step bass boost.  Either you have it on, or off.  There are not different levels of boost that can be selected like other amps.  Also, from the reviews, the E10 with the single-level of bass boost resulted in some pretty muddy sound - again, according to the reviews.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #5,037 of 22,116
I have never heard Amon Tobin before until I ran across him mentioned on this thread. Very different and I'm diggin' on the he400's. The bass hits nicely!! 
size]

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #5,038 of 22,116
Between the 4s, 400s and 500s I own, the 400s are clearly the least neutral of the 3. It is a dark sounding headphones with sparkly treble.

In term of sound signature, I would say:
- HE-400: dark with sparkly treble and recessed upper mids. Maybe not as thick sounding as the 500s but definitely closer to the 500s than the 4s.
- HE-500: warm with mids emphasis. Lush and thick mids, smooth treble and slight bass emphasis (less so than the 400s but not by a great margin). Bass is similar to that of the 400s, maybe a bit more bloomy.
- HE-4: neutral/bright with recessed mids. Airy sounding, energetic treble and sub-bass ('U-shaped" signature), natural mids (yet somewhat recessed). Tighest bass of the 3 but less prominent overall.

From the 3, the 4s are best described as neutral IMO.

I never listened to the HD-600 but from what I could read here and there, their sound signature is closer to the 4's than the 400's.

Enlightening.. thanks for those succinct comparisons.  The plethora of descriptions about the HE-400's "dark but bright" characterizations have been a little tough to wrap my head around.. it's clearly something I'll have to hear myself to fully grasp.  I was a little worried about the somewhat significant, wide 'dip' between the HE-400's 2-8K range (seen on HeadRoom's graphs), but it doesn't seem to be a problem for most owners as these seems to have enough sparkle to provide a sense of openness.  I'm looking forward to comparing them to the HD600.  Not expecting similar signatures.. but there seems to be more HE-400/HD650 than HE-400/HD600 comparisons.  The HD600 isn't entirely neutral through the bass & treble regions (which I quite like, actually).. but the mids are mesmerizingly transparent.

HE-4 is interesting to me.. almost like the HE-6's little brother, perhaps?

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #5,039 of 22,116
Quote:

Enlightening.. thanks for those succinct comparisons.  The plethora of descriptions about the HE-400's "dark but bright" characterizations have been a little tough to wrap my head around.. it's clearly something I'll have to hear myself to fully grasp.  I was a little worried about the somewhat significant, wide 'dip' between the HE-400's 2-8K range (seen on HeadRoom's graphs), but it doesn't seem to be a problem for most owners as these seems to have enough sparkle to provide a sense of openness.  I'm looking forward to comparing them to the HD600.  Not expecting similar signatures.. but there seems to be more HE-400/HD650 than HE-400/HD600 comparisons.  The HD600 isn't entirely neutral through the bass & treble regions (which I quite like, actually).. but the mids are mesmerizingly transparent.

HE-4 is interesting to me.. almost like the HE-6's little brother, perhaps?

Nah they are really different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back