**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #4,516 of 22,116
Quote:
Wow... what kind of environment are you living in... 
biggrin.gif
  little green gremlins running up your cables??!!  Get some weights, lift them, and man up bucko - and...

I am not sure that the Threadlocker product is conductive for electrical / sound purposes.  I'd be careful in using it because one could be causing a major issue in using it.

While performing a search, I found this information from the Lock-Tite site:

Quote:

Q9: Do you sell an electrically conductive threadlocker?

A. Loctite® does not sell any electrically conductive threadlockers. There are a handful of silver-filled electrically conductive epoxies, but these were formulated to replace solder connections on a printed circuit board. These products are so highly filled/dense that they probably wouldn't fit between threads.

I'm not implying that such a product doesn't exist.  It just might take a bit of looking to get the correct product for the application.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #4,518 of 22,116
Quote:
Wake up, pull the HE-400 down from the stand, stretch, flip on the tube amp, make coffee, brush teeth, turn on the DAC, toast biscuit, connect cables, get dressed, listen to music.

Mie is a bit diffrent (on saturday that is):
Wake up, take a shower, brush theeth, make a soup and some beef with potatos (yes, for breakfast), turn on laptop, connect laptop to 40 inch tv, connect fiio E17 and Hifiman He-400, Turn on one of my favorite games, .... wake up from the trance by 18.00 ... get food, go back to the trance mode :D.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #4,519 of 22,116
I'm putting out over 10watts to the HE400, and I feel its just slightly better than stuff like the Magni, E9K, E17. Yes, it's better, but they do not scale that much.

This was with a lot of level matching by ear and some android spl meters and non-expectation bias. The HE400 is pretty efficient, and just does not need a lot. People wanna justify the price for the miniscule gain, but all I saw was the HE400 sounding relatively the same with the addition of the amp signature differences.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #4,520 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm putting out over 10watts to the HE400, and I feel its just slightly better than stuff like the Magni, E9K, E17. Yes, it's better, but they do not scale that much.
This was with a lot of level matching by ear and some android spl meters and non-expectation bias. The HE400 is pretty efficient, and just does not need a lot. People wanna justify the price for the miniscule gain, but all I saw was the HE400 sounding relatively the same with the addition of the amp signature differences.

In that case i might need to check my cowon settings in the EQ. Perhaps thats the issue. Or is the E17 Dac much better than the Cowon i9 DAC?

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #4,522 of 22,116
The E17 does well enough alone, and the E9K also sounds great. In reference to the HE400s, of course.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #4,523 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, after a long time trying to decide which dac/amp to get, i went with the E17+E09 combo.

I hope they match the HE-400's well.

It's quite hard to find a bad match for the HE-400, it does well off anything really.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #4,525 of 22,116
I used the E9K for a little while with the ODAC and compared to my SA-31 which is much more amp in power and price. The E9K sounds quite good even next to it.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #4,527 of 22,116
By the way, i have a question regarding the E17.

If i connect the USB and optical input to my PC simultaneously, does it charge while using the optical?

And while docked in E09k, the e09k will feed it, right?

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #4,528 of 22,116
The E17 charges as long as it has the USB charge option turned on. Can't remember if the E9K's USB cable has to be plugged in to charge the E17 (even if you're only using the optical input on the E17.

I wish Fiio would have found a way not to have the Optical cable protruding from the E17 while docked.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #4,529 of 22,116
Quote:
Mie is a bit diffrent (on saturday that is):
Wake up, take a shower, brush theeth, make a soup and some beef with potatos (yes, for breakfast), turn on laptop, connect laptop to 40 inch tv, connect fiio E17 and Hifiman He-400, Turn on one of my favorite games, .... wake up from the trance by 18.00 ... get food, go back to the trance mode :D.

I get up just before 7 each day, get my daughter off to school, have a big bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch (go fiber!!), then I'm on the computer for about an hour usually listening to classical or easy jazz in the morning and of course checking head-fi. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The beauty of the he400 is that it does amp so easily. I wouldn't want to mislead others by saying that it scales well. It does scale, but very modestly. +1 for mad lust

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #4,530 of 22,116
Hi,

I would like to upgrade to the HE-500 (and I will) but for that I have to sell the HE-400 first. (I might sell my D7000 too for the LCD2 one day)
So I made a classified here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/645250/he-400-like-new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back