**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #4,503 of 22,116
Quote:
That shouldn't happen if you put them in right.

Make sure you do a few counter clockwise twists to the cable before you screw them in.

I used a small wrench on mine. Just make sure not to go crazy.

I'm going to try building my own cable like GTRagnarok did earlier in the thread. I'm just waiting on my 2nd connector to arrive from China (accidentally ordered just 1 the first time). I wish high end headphones came with 4-5 foot cables as opposed to 10 foot. I would imagine the majority of customers would prefer a shorter cable.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,504 of 22,116
Quote:

Keep in mind, the bass adjustment on the FiiO E17 is probably in the 100Hz range.  However, if you have your Magna / Modi connected to your computer, you'll have access to a software EQ, which will give you access to many more frequencies to really provide a custom tweak for the sound you're looking for.  Also, don't forget when it comes to using an EQ, it's better to reduce when making adjustments as opposed to heavily bumping up a frequency.  If you slightly reduce the other frequencies, and bump the desired one a bit, the turn-out can be better.  In the olden days, the EQ could rob a lot of power if you bumped the frequency adjustments too high and the theft of the power could mean that your amp could start to clip, and cause distortion for the speakers, which would be bad.

I've been into this since 1975. 

I've been trying to read up on a lot about this lately so I can get the setup working correctly once I get it. I've read that thing about lowering all other frequencies but never did I think of it before reading audiophile type websites. Unfortunately, all I have is a pair of decent computer speakers and beats (it was a gift) so I cant do any EQ'ing until my shipment arrives. Day 2 of waiting feels no closer.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #4,505 of 22,116
Quote:

I've been trying to read up on a lot about this lately so I can get the setup working correctly once I get it. I've read that thing about lowering all other frequencies but never did I think of it before reading audiophile type websites. Unfortunately, all I have is a pair of decent computer speakers and beats (it was a gift) so I cant do any EQ'ing until my shipment arrives. Day 2 of waiting feels no closer.

Actually, there is a pretty good tutorial here on the site, which was started a few years back.  Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4,506 of 22,116
Mine finally came in from Justin today as well. Still haven't put on the velours because Justin had ran out but they are currently in the mail. Running off an E11 right now but I'm waiting for my dac and amp to arrive before I post final impressions. However, with the stock pads and the e11 its pretty great! 

Impressed so far, trying to listen to a bit of everything and it just seems that these cans do everything so effortlessly. Oh, and I love the dark blue colour. For some reason I thought it was a lighter blue because of pictures….damn that flash!! lol

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #4,507 of 22,116
^^ Nice!! And welcome aboard. 
biggrin.gif
 Justin is great to deal with...glad that you're liking them. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #4,508 of 22,116
I'm interested in hearing impressions from people who have tried the E17 and the M&M stack.  I'm using the E17 and I'm pretty satisfied, but I got an M&M stack on the way that'll (hopefully) draw more out of my HE-400's.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #4,510 of 22,116
Looking at some amp options (I believe, maybe erroniously, that the amp is more important than the dac for first upgrades... but anyways, seems that most are combo deals anywho) and saw folks recommending the shiit stack and E17.  Just for paranoid endless researching.... I wondered about the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 or Audioengine D1 options?

BTW - really digging Barenaked Ladies & Marley on these phones.. oh wait... Sinatra too... geeze, SHUFFLE ALL sure get's pretty goofy sometimes.. I'm sure Sabbath is up next..

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4,511 of 22,116
Quote:
Looking at some amp options (I believe, maybe erroniously, that the amp is more important than the dac for first upgrades... but anyways, seems that most are combo deals anywho) and saw folks recommending the shiit stack and E17.  Just for paranoid endless researching.... I wondered about the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 or Audioengine D1 options?

BTW - really digging Barenaked Ladies & Marley on these phones..

I think both the Schiit and E17 have better value, but that's just opinion.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #4,512 of 22,116
I'm just curious as I will be driving my he400s from an E11 till my asgard arrives, what settings (gain/bass) are you using while listening?

Gain I have set to high, high power overall as well, I keep the EQ at 0 as I want to hear the "true" sound of the headphone if you will, I keep the EQ at 0 for listening on anything. High power always but low gain for easier to drive cans and IEMs.

It has been a while since I've owned the FiiO E11 amplifier.  However, the stack will provide plenty of power for the HE-400s as well as provide great sound - from a neutral aspect for your headphones.  But, to compare the two, it is apples vs. oranges.  The Magni will not have a bass boost button, but you'll be able to EQ the sound through FooBar, if you desire to customize the sound to your tastes.

I'm not really into EQing, I like to use my gear as is. The only time I've ever used the boost on my Fiio is to show off to ignorant people who think the beats are the best thing since sliced bread. I get the feeling the Magni will definitely outclass the Fiio's sound by a fair bit though. I'll find out soon enough. Just waiting to make sure I have enough money to pay for the rest of my life this paycheck before I spend the money I have waiting for the Magni, should have enough for the stack though.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #4,514 of 22,116
Quote:

BTW - really digging Barenaked Ladies & Marley on these phones.. oh wait... Sinatra too... geeze, SHUFFLE ALL sure get's pretty goofy sometimes.. I'm sure Sabbath is up next..

I've used the D1 and it worked well, but I haven't used the other options you mentioned. The D1 did well in a comparison to my Dacmagic Plus though which should speak in its favor considering the price difference.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #4,515 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey there, another happy HE-400 owner, just got them today.

Out of the box, I was disappointed.  I was like wut, where's the hype.  Why does everything sound so MUDDY?  
Then I realized I was listening to indie rock with the Fiio E17's bass boost turned up 6 steps.  Whoops.
(Question to those using the HE-400/Fiio E17, what gain setting are you using?)

Turned off the bass boost, restarted the song.  Things are sounding pretty good.  In fact, with Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks (my go-to first listen for any new headphone) I definitely was hearing astonishing clarity in Ed Droste's voice like I never heard before.

I tried the velours.  Didn't like them comfort wise, and didn't hear a difference in the sound.  Oh well, with less than an hour on them I didn't think I would be able to anyway.  Put the comfies back on and I'm chillin.

Two hours later, I'm starting to get acclimated to these.  Jigsaws are falling into place, to use a Radiohead reference.  In fact, I put on "Paranoid Android" and I was pleased with how smooth the sound was.  Loving the midrange that virtually everyone has raved about.  

Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness floored me.  (that is a spotify link)   I'm not much of a metal fan or a Dream Theater fan, but that song and the HE-400's got along so nicely, that after 11 minutes went by, it felt closer to 4 or 5 minutes instead.

Definitely satisfied with the $400 I paid for these.  And I'm sure they will open up even more the more I listen to them. 

I have been using them for a bit over a month and i plan to get a better amp/Dac. The Fiio E17 is powerfull enought for those, but wont give you all the detail they can bring.

Let me Put it this way:
When i first listened to them from my Cowon i9 + Fiio E17 in the store before buying them, i had mixed feelings (with 0 treble, 0 bass). Then i plugged them into the shops "high end" equipment (a 2k dollar cd player amped by an nuforce amp, i think it was the Icon HDP), and listened to Tubular bells and knew in about 30 seconds that they were worth it.

Since i did not have the cash and still dont have for that much of an expense, i use the hifiman primarly with gaming on my Laptop fueled by the Fiio E17 from USB, and i can honestly say its better than from the cowon (hell, even youtube sounds better than my FLAC on the cowon+Fiio E17), but worse than my expirience in the shop ( i will be going back there as soon as i stop beeing sick to confirm it, and get myself a better amp, either the E9, or more probably the schitt Valhala).

These headphones scale definitly well, just dont know "how" well as i have nothing to compare them to. Also when i contacted Hifiman directly about this, they told me that Orthodynamics "should" get at least 2 Wats per channel to work to their full potential (i was specificly asking about the HE-500, but also mentioned the HE-400).
My personal guess is that they dont want say it straight, but even the HE-400 with their good efficiency require a good amount of power to wor well.
After all, those damn drivers are bigger than the driver from my logitech Z-320 speakers...

So after all, ill probably gradually move up from the equipment i got now to some better amps, better headphones, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back