**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,521 of 22,116
Looking to scoop up a pair of these, what are the chances that I will end up ordering a 3.0 rev. are those still floating around? also did 3.5 get rid of the issues or should I be looking for a 2.0? Head direct's amazon storefront said they have no US stock and I am not waiting for shipping from China haha, any buying tips or information is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2,522 of 22,116
These are all the same now. They went back to r2 and have no plans to change AFAIK. All current stock should be good stock...no worries. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,523 of 22,116
Cool that is reassuring haha, I know many state you cant really trust FR Graphs for the HE-400 and I am all for what sounds good over what looks good on paper, I know this has been touched upon a little in this thread (quite humorously I might add) after skimming through it a little bit, but I am sure we all like to have a look at a graph before we throw down 400$ on a pair of phones.

I have a pair of DT 880's that I am liking but I find on some recordings that are not the best they can be harsh on your ears and slightly hissy, I am really interested in trying a pair of planar magnetics but the FR Graphs have me hesitant about the HE-400 when comparing it to the HE-500, I understand there is a $300 gap but there is just so much upper mid drop off on the 400's!

Can anyone come with at least a slightly comparable headphone in terms of sound signature? 

Ill be using them through a O2+ODAC

Sorry for being pesky =P

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,525 of 22,116
Quote:
Cool that is reassuring haha, I know many state you cant really trust FR Graphs for the HE-400 and I am all for what sounds good over what looks good on paper, I know this has been touched upon a little in this thread (quite humorously I might add) after skimming through it a little bit, but I am sure we all like to have a look at a graph before we throw down 400$ on a pair of phones.

I have a pair of DT 880's that I am liking but I find on some recordings that are not the best they can be harsh on your ears and slightly hissy, I am really interested in trying a pair of planar magnetics but the FR Graphs have me hesitant about the HE-400 when comparing it to the HE-500, I understand there is a $300 gap but there is just so much upper mid drop off on the 400's!

Can anyone come with at least a slightly comparable headphone in terms of sound signature? 

Sorry for being pesky =P

I might be receiving a pair of HE500s in the next week or two, will definitely compare them and my HE400s.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #2,526 of 22,116

Sorry for being pesky =P

In my opinion, the HE-400 is an excellent product for the price. I've owned the HE-500, as well as the HE-5LE, too. The HE-5LE was slightly more hungry for power, but was a headphone that really sounded great. Also, consider the HE-5LE started out at $899, and was reduced in price to compete. The HE-500 has always been at $699, as far as I know. I've only had the HE-400 and the HE-500 at the same time, so I could compare them. There are some differences with regards to purity, or possibly a slight nod towards additional clarity in the HE-500. But, that was just with my own ears and we all know, everyone can hear things differently. But, since I could not use both pair at the same time, I ended up keeping the HE-400 and they still continue to impress me each time I use them.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2,527 of 22,116
Quote:
In my opinion, the HE-400 is an excellent product for the price. I've owned the HE-500, as well as the HE-5LE, too. The HE-5LE was slightly more hungry for power, but was a headphone that really sounded great. Also, consider the HE-5LE started out at $899, and was reduced in price to compete. The HE-500 has always been at $699, as far as I know. I've only had the HE-400 and the HE-500 at the same time, so I could compare them. There are some differences with regards to purity, or possibly a slight nod towards additional clarity in the HE-500. But, that was just with my own ears and we all know, everyone can hear things differently. But, since I could not use both pair at the same time, I ended up keeping the HE-400 and they still continue to impress me each time I use them.

You got the two backwards I think; HE500s were once $899, they were codenamed HE6p (so basically they were intended as "easy to drive HE6-equivalent") before being renamed HE500 at release. HE5LEs on the other hand was always $699.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #2,528 of 22,116
Quote:

Sorry for being pesky =P

I really can't, since all my previous phones were Sennheisers. They remind me a little of my IEM Sony EX85s, in terms of being more "aggressive", though I have come to accept Fang's description of the phones as like "American JBL" as opposed to say, European speakers. My JBLs are very airy, balanced, and handle rock and classical with quite a bit of grace. Then again my JBLS don't have the sort of bass reach that these phones do.

I too looked at the frequency and said, tons of bass, no mid-range, and hot treble. Uh-oh. Then I thought, nah, its pretty "V-Shaped", should be fun!

It may sound crazy but, these things come across as pretty darn "flat" - there are no obvious peaks, and they are extremely smooth. At the same time, they are not laid-back, so I find them very enjoyable across all my music formats. Just a really airy, transparent, and smooth presentation with awesome texture and bass extension. The sound awesome with rock/pop/electronic/classical. They'll work great with your amp/DAC also.

I guess I sound like a huge fan. More like a "planar" convert - I just don't think this sort of sound is easily accomplished by dynamic drivers - even really good ones like your beyers.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #2,529 of 22,116
Quote:
You got the two backwards I think; HE500s were once $899, they were codenamed HE6p (so basically they were intended as "easy to drive HE6-equivalent") before being renamed HE500 at release. HE5LEs on the other hand was always $699.

No, I think that you were right the first time. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #2,530 of 22,116

I did the grill mod yesterday, and all I could say was in post #2522, I mean jerg wasn't joking... It's like a whole layer of muddiness disappeared, the sound became more alive and more detailed. So the grill mod is staying, hopefully the dust won't be a problem!

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,531 of 22,116
Okay fellow HE-400 owners. I've always been stubborn about EQ, but the longer I'm in this hobby the more I realize I need to not be.

This is my second go-around with the HE-400. It is simply awesome on every front, for me, except for its sound signature... I returned it last time for the same reason (although in part because I had a rev3 at the time). Namely, I love forward mids and these do not have that. Also, I would like the treble peak at 10k to be tamed quite a bit.

Seeing as I listen to headphones solely at my computer, I am now interested in a quality, easy-to-use EQ program. Using iTunes really basic, poorly tweakable EQ, I bumped up the 2K and 4K frequencies a bit and dropped the 8K and 16K a bit, and it is much more to the sound I crave! Using this basic EQ, I am getting nearly exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone. So I'm ready for a quality EQ program. Help me out here!

Seriously, I've been stubborn about EQ for no good reason, for too long. I love everything about the HE-400 except for the presentation of the mids and that high treble peak, and this tiny experiment with iTunes EQ opened my eyes, or ears rather. I want to tinker with an EQ program, and if that gets me even closer to the sound I'm craving, then I think I will be sold on the HE-400.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2,535 of 22,116
Just a few words about the build, and some early impressions.

These are built like a tank! It feels really sturdy and well made. I don't know, some impressions here made me feel it was a little on the cheap side but that's not the vibe im getting at all. As for the weight, it's a total non-issue for me. Again i was expecting them to feel like a brick on my head after reading posts here. I guess i have a strong neck, or everyone else has chicken necks! (kidding 
wink.gif
) The stock pads are nice and soft, but i immediately put on the velours and they are certainly more comfortable. It was a little tricky at first getting them on but i got the hang of it.

The cable is also really long, i may need to get a custom one because all this length is going to waste on my desk.

Right now i have them plugged into my M-Stage. Gain at +10, volume meter at about 1'o clock, it's certainly plenty loud. I feel they may need some burn in. So far they haven't floored me like i expected, but then again i had my expectations really really high. I think i will grow to appreciate the sound with more head time, but for now they sound pretty good. I will certainly add to this with more listening.

One thing i should mention, i haven't yet detected any spikes in the treble. It all feels smooth, but then again i've only played a couple of songs. I have the rev2/3.5 as well, transparent/white housing inside.

More to come :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back