**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #2,492 of 22,116
Quote:

Haha!

It's subtle because I doubt measurements will be able to pick anything up.

Dramatic because the music just becomes that much livelier and more spacious/nuanced.

And the effect is quite obvious if you just relax and listen, but not so obvious if you concentrate and try to discern one detail from the next within the tracks.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2,494 of 22,116
Quote:
If no fabric maximizes performance, it's something I'd consider doing. I just have a thing about dust...

Are the drivers too delicate for a dusting with a compressed air can?

AFAIK they are pretty strong; the mylar is quite durable, and the tracings seem to be a solid belt that is adhered well. I've tried probing the diaphragm/tracings with a dull tool and it felt flexible and elastic with lots of give.

Just don't blow the compressed gas right against the driver and it should be no issue at all.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2,495 of 22,116
Just wanted to through out that the HE-400s are in this month's Mens Health Mag - as just another cool thing to buy. In the photo, the connector posts looked like they weren't gold. Weird.

That and today I have just been enjoying these things more than ever. They are so fricking good. That is all.
beyersmile.png

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,496 of 22,116
Quote:
Just wanted to through out that the HE-400s are in this month's Mens Health Mag - as just another cool thing to buy. In the photo, the connector posts looked like they weren't gold. Weird.

That and today I have just been enjoying these things more than ever. They are so fricking good. That is all.
beyersmile.png

It could be the photography.  Six years ago, we almost didn't buy the house we're in because I looked at a picture of it on-line and didn't like the brick color at all.  Then, we drove up to it, and the brick was completely different than the picture.

It's interesting that you found the HifiMAN in the Men's Health magazine.  It must have been an article on gadgets or items to use when relaxing as I can't imagine them recommending the HE-400s for working out.  Well, that is, unless one wants to work their neck muscles. 
eek.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #2,497 of 22,116
Quote:

It's interesting that you found the HifiMAN in the Men's Health magazine.  It must have been an article on gadgets or items to use when relaxing as I can't imagine them recommending the HE-400s for working out.  Well, that is, unless one wants to work their neck muscles. 
eek.gif

It was the holiday gadget guide - the section begging you to spend money. It came right after a series of ways I can try to get laid this Christmas. Men's Health indeed. Fang must be blowing some bucks trying to gain some publicity for his phones. Consumer Reports, Men's Health, what's next? These are turning into the best headphones no one knows about.

Also, my neck muscles are now ripped. My Bro and his Wife laughed like crazy when they saw these clonky things. Then they listened to them . . .

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2,498 of 22,116
Yeah, I'm looking pretty much buff myself after wearing all the massive heavy hp's. So my neck muscles and the right index finger, mousing, are super human!!

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2,499 of 22,116
Quote:
It was the holiday gadget guide - the section begging you to spend money. It came right after a series of ways I can try to get laid this Christmas. Men's Health indeed. Fang must be blowing some bucks trying to gain some publicity for his phones. Consumer Reports, Men's Health, what's next? These are turning into the best headphones no one knows about.

Also, my neck muscles are now ripped. My Bro and his Wife laughed like crazy when they saw these clonky things. Then they listened to them . . .

Consumer Reports doesn't accept advertising so Fang probably didn't influence that one.  I think it was the $400 price point that put the HP in the mix.  I'm still not sure how they arrived at their rating results.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2,500 of 22,116
It could be the photography.  Six years ago, we almost didn't buy the house we're in because I looked at a picture of it on-line and didn't like the brick color at all.  Then, we drove up to it, and the brick was completely different than the picture.

It's interesting that you found the HifiMAN in the Men's Health magazine.  It must have been an article on gadgets or items to use when relaxing as I can't imagine them recommending the HE-400s for working out.  Well, that is, unless one wants to work their neck muscles. :eek:

If u do wanna work out ur neckmusles..just go for the he500..thats a heavy basterd.. :p

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,504 of 22,116
Nay, try out the lcd2!! It's like strapping a bowling ball to your head...

If someone didn't find the he-400 heavy at all do you think the LCD2 would still feel super heavy for them? That's the one thing keeping me from going for them in the future. I suppose I could find somewhere to demo them but I don't know of anywhere locally.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2,505 of 22,116
Quote:
If someone didn't find the he-400 heavy at all do you think the LCD2 would still feel super heavy for them? That's the one thing keeping me from going for them in the future. I suppose I could find somewhere to demo them but I don't know of anywhere locally.

I usually don't like heavy hp's but I was fine with the he400. I was not remotely okay with the weight of the lcd2, if that helps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back