**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 26, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #21,811 of 22,116
  Did a few measurement and I think the Fostex headband used for the TH-X00/600/610/900 would be good fit, just trying to find info just in case the headband on my HE-400 breaks.  After all the mods and tuning I really like it now, favorite bedroom headphone for now.

The cups of the HE-400 are 103.4mm and the cups of the fostex are 103.5mm. will have to find a way to mount the cups, the HE-400 has a screw while the Fostex uses a pin with a c-clip.  Might be able to just remove the pin and c-clip and use the screw from the HE-400 over and use some plastic washers to use as shims to make the fit better.

How does a C-CLIP work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC8Glr0WLCc&t=6s

The user in the video put a HE-400I assembly on his HE-400 by drilling a bigger hole, and they pop right in. Ofcourse hifiman no longer sells assemblies for either headphone though. Would the fostex headband just hook in like this with a bigger hole?

Upon further inspection, I can't find anywhere with replacement parts or an email for fostex o_o

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #21,812 of 22,116

How does a C-CLIP work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC8Glr0WLCc&t=6s

The user in the video put a HE-400I assembly on his HE-400 by drilling a bigger hole, and they pop right in. Ofcourse hifiman no longer sells assemblies for either headphone though. Would the fostex headband just hook in like this with a bigger hole?

Upon further inspection, I can't find anywhere with replacement parts or an email for fostex o_o

That looks like a better way to go since using the fostex headband would not be as simple as making a larger hole.

Foxtex parts can be found here: http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?txtAll=fostex&txtCat=0&txtBrand=&txtLowRange=&txtHighRange=&&&parent=471&txtHighRange=&txtLowRange=&itemsPerPage=24&pager=1&

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #21,813 of 22,116
  That looks like a better way to go since using the fostex headband would not be as simple as making a larger hole.

Foxtex parts can be found here: http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?txtAll=fostex&txtCat=0&txtBrand=&txtLowRange=&txtHighRange=&&&parent=471&txtHighRange=&txtLowRange=&itemsPerPage=24&pager=1&

Well, Hifiman doesn't sell any headband replacements anymore (for any model headphone), so I wont be able to find a spare HE-400I headband xD 

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #21,814 of 22,116
  Well, Hifiman doesn't sell any headband replacements anymore (for any model headphone), so I wont be able to find a spare HE-400I headband xD 

I checked the site with the Fostex parts but they don't sell the headband assembly, just parts to fix the hinges, yokes and padding.

Another possibility would be a LCD series headband but you will need to use the yoke of the HE-400 and screw it on to the sliders of the LCD headband.  I've never contacted Audeze but I know they sell the carbon fiber headband to mod existing LCD series headbands so it might be possible.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #21,815 of 22,116
  I checked the site with the Fostex parts but they don't sell the headband assembly, just parts to fix the hinges, yokes and padding.

Another possibility would be a LCD series headband but you will need to use the yoke of the HE-400 and screw it on to the sliders of the LCD headband.  I've never contacted Audeze but I know they sell the carbon fiber headband to mod existing LCD series headbands so it might be possible.

Audeze sells there whole headbands but they are 130$ + shipping which is ironically the same as the HE-400 repair xD

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #21,818 of 22,116
DavidA, is there any chance that the drivers from the he400 would fit into the $99 he350 ? 
confused.gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #21,819 of 22,116
  DavidA, is there any chance that the drivers from the he400 would fit into the $99 he350 ? 
confused.gif

I don't know but it might be the cheapest way to get a new headband.  I think I'll get a HE-350 just to see if its possible, at best I have a new decent headphone, at worst I'll have a spare headband for my HE-400/400i/560.  Might be really hard to get my drivers out of the HE-400 since I did use silicone to seal the new metal ear pad mounting ring to the cups.

I do think even without trying the drivers will fit since the cups are the same size.  The mounting rings in the HE-400 and those in the pictures of the HE-350 look the same, without the notches for keeping the alignment of the ear pads like in the HE-400i and HE-560.

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #21,820 of 22,116
  I don't know but it might be the cheapest way to get a new headband.  I think I'll get a HE-350 just to see if its possible, at best I have a new decent headphone, at worst I'll have a spare headband for my HE-400/400i/560.  Might be really hard to get my drivers out of the HE-400 since I did use silicone to seal the new metal ear pad mounting ring to the cups.

I do think even without trying the drivers will fit since the cups are the same size.  The mounting rings in the HE-400 and those in the pictures of the HE-350 look the same, without the notches for keeping the alignment of the ear pads like in the HE-400i and HE-560.

This might be the cheapest way.

Hifiman today told me they no longer sell ANY replacement parts for there whole headband lineup other than earpads and cables now o_o

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #21,821 of 22,116
check this post out, he350 headband in action

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790902/the-ultimate-step-by-step-hifiman-headband-replacement-guide-from-oldstock-hifiman-he-4-5le-6-400-500-into-the-newstock-he-400i-560/105#post_13121715

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #21,824 of 22,116
So I gave them a listen to on my worst crappy last resort portable rig; Droid LG Optimus G Pro with a portable C&C amp.
basshead.gif
I do not remember the HE-400 sounding SO GOOD?! I believe the Sorb Mod did affect the sound and tightened everything up. I'm loving them again!

Samething for me here.... Sorb. is  one of the greatest mod. for all piece of gear not only headphone.... Because vibrations and induced negative resonance destruct the timbre and imaging... The second potent modification  is the use of crystals to clean EMI in all level of the audio system... I dont recognize my sound system anymore  cause of these 2 mods...
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back