**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #21,841 of 22,116
I ordered some cable ends from alliexpress.  I also ordered a replacement cable.  $7 for the ends and $35 for the cable.  Did you just tape the crystals to the sides of the cups or did you use a little bag?  I am thinking close to or on the terminals inside the cups.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #21,842 of 22,116

Quote:
  I ordered some cable ends from alliexpress.  I also ordered a replacement cable.  $7 for the ends and $35 for the cable.  Did you just tape the crystals to the sides of the cups or did you use a little bag?  I am thinking close to or on the terminals inside the cups.

i put 1 agate, 1 topaz, 1 little peeble of tourmaline around the little copper tube where the internal cable come from... I put with some blutak gluying them 1 gate and 2 topaz , in a line on  the exterior grid of the cup....Also on top of the exterior grid, and at the bottom, with blutack attached to it, i put 2 little lemurian crystals to great avail.... It gives to the sound more room, and make the sound more organic ...
beerchug.gif
 The key is experimenting, nobody have same taste, but crystals is for me more upgrading lift than cable change or any other mods, on par with sorb. to make he-400 a great can...

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #21,843 of 22,116
My face was already bruised from facepalming from some of the mods in this thread, but I'm out of here.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #21,845 of 22,116
Yes inquiring minds want to know ; )

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #21,846 of 22,116
Crystal mod? Huh?!?

Any scientific explanation for this mod?

I speak about my experience and experiments only.... a theoretical explanation is out of my reach...we are here on an audio forum, hence i dare to speak about my experiments, and yes, experiment is the craddle of many more questions...We will wait together for the explanations if someone had it already, in the meantime, buy 12 bucks rose quartz crystals and tourmaline,mix them, put them on the breaker of your audio room, and  on the power strip where  your audio is connected...Call it your day! and dont thank me...
beerchug.gif

by the way many company market these crystals tricks with marketing hability,and success, and sometimes,with  big price, all i suggest to all of you here, for cheap money is to reproduce these results, for our listening pleasure...  This experience i suggest to you is only a beginning one....
smile.gif
 People here were giving me so much for years here, sometimes it feel good to give something back in return....Thanks to you all....

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #21,847 of 22,116
AMAZINGLY, there's as much science behind the crystal mod as there is behind aftermarket cables.

If this crystal mod is a troll, you are the Leonardo DaVinci of trolls.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #21,848 of 22,116
AMAZINGLY, there's as much science behind the crystal mod as there is behind aftermarket cables. I could be wrong .

If this crystal mod is a troll, you are the Leonardo DaVinci of trolls.
I would agree. I have heard differences in cables but not differences in stones.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #21,850 of 22,116
It's just amazing how old AKAI receiver amp makes HE400 shine, driven from speaker outputs. It just gives some magical power and body to sound that my headphone amp won't with HE400. And best thing is I got AKAI for free. Drawbacks are that switches on amp are very closed design and it's hard to get any lubricant inside switches and they would really need it. And also amp creates some humming, but that can be due my not so good cabels. I should make seperate cables for amp.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #21,851 of 22,116
  It's just amazing how old AKAI receiver amp makes HE400 shine, driven from speaker outputs. It just gives some magical power and body to sound that my headphone amp won't with HE400. And best thing is I got AKAI for free. Drawbacks are that switches on amp are very closed design and it's hard to get any lubricant inside switches and they would really need it. And also amp creates some humming, but that can be due my not so good cabels. I should make seperate cables for amp.

Same here with my Sansui...But the difference between my headphone out and the speakers out is not so great... i prefer the headphone out,(no noise, and less risky for the  high sound level for the headphone and for my ears) like your receiver my old hitachi receiver was great also,now my Sansui vintage amp  beat all the 3 headphones amp i had ever own...
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #21,852 of 22,116

I sold all my dedicated HP amps after I got my first vintage receiver,a Sansui 881,never going back...vintage receivers are the best kept secret in this hobby,unfortunately vintage gear isnt a secret to non headphone users,and prices have been skyrocketing for quite some time....but still compared to the price of a powerful dedicated HP amp,old receivers are a bargain...and look amazing too!

Just picked up a 100wpc Onkyo 6500 mkll,should be here this week...my HE-6 will be very happy!

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #21,853 of 22,116
  I sold all my dedicated HP amps after I got my first vintage receiver,a Sansui 881,never going back...vintage receivers are the best kept secret in this hobby,unfortunately vintage gear isnt a secret to non headphone users,and prices have been skyrocketing for quite some time....but still compared to the price of a powerful dedicated HP amp,old receivers are a bargain...and look amazing too!

Just picked up a 100wpc Onkyo 6500 mkll,should be here this week...my HE-6 will be very happy!

Congratulations! Great stuff, and i think that these vintage gear are if not hifi, almost hi-fi, for the same price (around 500 hundred more or less) contemporary headphone amp are not hi-fi at all...In fact i experience  for the first time what near Hi-Fi is with a vintage receiver...My Sansui amp is the hi-fi level product of the 1975...

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #21,854 of 22,116
  Congratulations! Great stuff, and i think that these vintage gear are if not hifi, almost hi-fi, for the same price (around 500 hundred more or less) contemporary headphone amp are not hi-fi at all...

Bargains can be found if you know what to look for,however some of the "Holy Grail" monsters like the Technics SA-1000 and Marantz 4400 have been selling for over 7000.00,seen em go as high 12 thousand USD
basshead.gif

But for headphone purposes theres no reason to spend over 2-300.00...even a modest 25wpc receiver will get your HPs screaming.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #21,855 of 22,116
  Bargains can be found if you know what to look for,however some of the "Holy Grail" monsters like the Technics SA-1000 and Marantz 4400 have been selling for over 7000.00,seen em go as high 12 thousand USD
basshead.gif

But for headphone purposes theres no reason to spend over 2-300.00...even a modest 25wpc receiver will get your HPs screaming.

This is true! I am lucky My Sansui was sold to me  near 100 bucks...But the price you described is way too much paid...I live in a marginal market , lucky me...
wink_face.gif
  You are right for the power, i listen nearfield, or with my headphone, 25 watts would be plenty....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back