**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 1, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #15,616 of 22,116
  Howdy - anybody using  Beyer pads for HE-400? I already have Jergpads with velour top but I find my ears get way too hot in them. 

Anybody try DT 770\990 black\silver pads for HE-400? Are they smaller than Hifiman velours? Anything different sound-wise?

Any other pads I should consider?

These were the ones recommended below (EDT 770V), way way back in this thread if you were looking for Beyer pads.
They also include the foam dust cover for the driver. I managed to get them on before but a bit tight on the earpad ring from HFM. Other members suggested heating the plastic grip with a hairdryer to make it easier to go over the ring.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-V-Replacement-DT770-DT-770-Pro-Headphones-Ear-Pads-Cushions-/360806021515?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item5401b6f98b

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #15,618 of 22,116
  Got my HE-400 that i bought on BF and an upgrade over my HD558. Any headphone stand recommendations for it?

your head makes a great headphone stand for it!!!!
biggrin.gif

cosmos, kloud, and brainwavz has some sick stands under $20 lol. rocketfish stands are on sale at best buy. i don't understand how some stands are like $50+

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #15,620 of 22,116
Quote:
   In fact many will argue that in terms of pairing and ability to drives the he400 to a "musical level," the Vali will be better.

So the Vali will arguably sound better?  If you like the warmer sound?

Quote:

Not that I was asked, but I agree that the Asgard 2 would do a great job driving the HE-400's and has the added flexibility of its preamp outputs and the benefit of the gain switch. You may not "need" preamp outs now but down the road you may find this feature to come in handy and save you the cost of adding a preamp plus the gain switch makes driving IEM's a better fit with this amp. Frankly, the Asgard 2 is one Hell of a great deal for all features it has and the sound quality it provides. I think that you will find that you'll enjoy your HE-400's a lot more once they're driven by a more powerful amp. I know that you may get all the "volume" you want from an iPod or other MP3 player yet having an amp that can truly take control of the headphone can make a big difference in sound quality.

I primarily use the Lyr with my 400's and it makes for a great combination...that's probably why Schiit Audio uses the 400's and 500's with their amps at shows. I plan on picking up an Asgard 2 very soon to use as a headphone amp and preamp (to my Parasound A23 or A21) in my office system. 

Best of luck!

I would never drive these with my phone - it would be a crime 
wink_face.gif
.  Not to mention the plug doesn't fit in my phone because of the case I have on it. And I would love your Lyr for my 400's.  If you are not going to use it anymore I could take it off your hands for lets say $5 
atsmile.gif

i don't understand how some stands are like $50+

eek.gif
 For a stand!!!???

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #15,621 of 22,116
Hi guys,

New HE-400 owner here (and I'm fairly new to Head-Fi as well).

What are everyone's go to songs to really showcase these cans? I've been trying tons of different music, but I'd love to get some opinions from some seasoned HE-400 owners :)

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #15,623 of 22,116
One more thing, I've noticed some slight buzzing / distortion in the right ear for some parts of some songs. After investigation I have found it occurs for frequencies between 445 - 465 Hz, being most pronounced in the middle of said range.

Is this a common issue? Is this something I can fix by tightening something or would this require a call to Hifiman to see if I can get a warranty replacement?

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #15,624 of 22,116
  One more thing, I've noticed some slight buzzing / distortion in the right ear for some parts of some songs. After investigation I have found it occurs for frequencies between 445 - 465 Hz, being most pronounced in the middle of said range.

Is this a common issue? Is this something I can fix by tightening something or would this require a call to Hifiman to see if I can get a warranty replacement?

That doesn't sound normal at all. If the connections are tight on the headphones I would give them a call tomorrow.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #15,625 of 22,116
Hi everyone,
This is my first post to head-fi. I've been lurking the forums for the past few weeks as i am investigating different sets of headphones, of which I have settled on the hifiman he 400. I am thinking of getting the matrix m stage USB edition to power the headphones and a starter dac (I know it's not a high quality dac but I want to reduce interference from my laptop when using the headphone jack). My question to you guys is; is the matrix m stage a good amp to pair with the he 400's, and how bad is the m stages built in dac compared to say other dacs in the sub $200.?

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #15,626 of 22,116
The M-stage and HE-400 is a great pairing, I've been using it for the best part of a year now. I can't tell you about the dac section though but people say it's decent. You would probably hear some slight differences between the M-stage's dac and a $200 dac.

But the M-stage's amp section is more than enough for the HE-400.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #15,629 of 22,116
  Finally got my HE-400 that I ordered on BF.  First impressions are very favorable.  The bass is like nothing I've heard before.  The soundstage is impressive as well.

Nice!! Are you using pleather or velour? 

Glad to hear that it's working out for you. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back