**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #15,001 of 22,116
This subject really ought to be a thread of it's own. (Maybe there already is) Best value, service, and no BS approach to the audiophile world thread. Although I doubt Head-Fi would be towards it since I take they have advertisements from other companies that may not make that list.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #15,003 of 22,116
  This subject really ought to be a thread of it's own. (Maybe there already is) Best value, service, and no BS approach to the audiophile world thread. Although I doubt Head-Fi would be towards it since I take they have advertisements from other companies that may not make that list.

Kingwa actually talked me out of upgrading one time, not many business people that would not just take your money.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #15,005 of 22,116

This is why when a company comes along and offers products at a MUCH lower price with the same if not better performance, it's nice to be able to support that company. Companies like Schiit, Audio-GD, HifiMan and the likes come to mind. Then you've got the absurd like Abyss headphones, LOL $1,000 cable, REALLY? Better be made of unicorn guts and shielding of a dragon's back.

Edit in bold

Yes I agree, I try to give these companies as much business as possible while avoiding the scummy ones. Its a shame that the average consumer does not even know about these brands because usually they would just get whichever is marketed best, for example Beats which are rubbish but have good marketing, which appeals to people of low intelligence levels lol.

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #15,006 of 22,116

Yes I agree, I try to give these companies as much business as possible while avoiding the scummy ones. Its a shame that the average consumer does not even know about these brands because usually they would just get whichever is marketed best, for example Beats which are rubbish but have good marketing, which appeals to people of low intelligence levels lol.

AGD is actually fairly popular on the forums. Currawong recently reviewed a unit favorably.

Dan can barely keep up and I cannot wish him more success, met him in person and he's good people with me. Jason rules, forever a Schiit fan.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #15,007 of 22,116

AGD is actually fairly popular on the forums. Currawong recently reviewed a unit favorably.

Dan can barely keep up and I cannot wish him more success, met him in person and he's good people with me. Jason rules, forever a Schiit fan.

What I meant is the sort of person that walks into the local shop and proceeds to buy Bose or Beats as they have seen adverts on the TV / celebrity endorsement, Marketing + low IQ target audience = big sales. haha.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #15,008 of 22,116
So I've downgraded my setup, sold my HE-6, sold my Audio GD DI and Audio GD ES9018 DAC and 110wpc Yamaha speaker amp...

I purchased the HE-400 based on the black friday sale, and I'm looking to pair it with a new dac and amp. I'm looking at the Schiit Modi/Vali combo and the Aune T1

The things I loved about the HE-6 combo above was sound stage, instrument separation, and it was pretty fun, the things I hated, sibilance, sibilance, and harsh treble (to my ears, but I'm sensitive to sibilance), I loved how deep the bass was and the speed, but I wanted more impact (I might be a bit of a bass head). I'm looking for a tube setup for a change from solid state everything.

Schiit is a very well known company, and many have said great things about the Modi and Vali, however, some people have said they lean towards analytically sounding, and the amp may not have enough power to drive the HE-400 (someone mentioned it on the Vali thread), and no USB or RCA cables.

The Aune T1 seems to have very good reviews, but Aune at least to me is an unknown company, but even with an amperex 7308 Gold Pin tube upgrade it's the same price as the Modi/Vali combo shipped to me. It seems to have more power in the headphone camp, it's an AIO unit, and it comes with a USB cable at least...

Does anyone have any opinions to share?

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #15,009 of 22,116

Chris...good to see you around these parts!! You owe me one Chipolte. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #15,010 of 22,116
If you do not like sibilance and want to avoid EQ then I would recommend getting the smoothest possible amp (treble) for the HE400.... They should be reasonably easy to power so both of those amps should work, they work decently from my Xonar STX which is not very powerful. I would not recommend getting a bright or harsh amp to pair with the HE400 because that will not end well!

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #15,011 of 22,116

That´s the problem with marketing and "big names" you pay all advertising and no the product itself. Now days we have the opportunity to get more information in the Internet and places like this where people share thoughts and experiences just to get the best of it

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #15,012 of 22,116
Where should i go to contact Hifiman for a replacement cable? I emailed CustomerService@hifiman.com twice since monday, and still no answer.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #15,014 of 22,116
  You can buy the cable on the head direct website. Just put it in your shopping cart and order. No need to email anyone.

I was told i could get a free replacement cable if i ordered within the HE-400 warranty here last week

EDIT: If i wasn't clear, my current cable broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back