**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #14,988 of 22,116
I will say I am 100% incapable of doing the jergpad mod. If it involves cutting material, I will botch it. I would probably have someone else do the mod for me, but I probably wouldn't cut out the velour and put it on the pleathers. That has no effect other than "comfort" right? Still, gonna use these velours for a week to give them an honest test.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #14,989 of 22,116
  I found the velours to be incredibly scratchy until i washed them. That helped a lot, but I still think they are uncomfortable. The foam inside is too hard or something.

I forgot about the washing procedure. This is certainly worth the effort. 
  I will say I am 100% incapable of doing the jergpad mod. If it involves cutting material, I will botch it. I would probably have someone else do the mod for me, but I probably wouldn't cut out the velour and put it on the pleathers. That has no effect other than "comfort" right? Still, gonna use these velours for a week to give them an honest test.

Modular does the mod in group production. The effect is not just for comfort regarding the mod. It's specifically designed to improve the sound of the hp. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #14,990 of 22,116

Modular does the mod in group production. The effect is not just for comfort regarding the mod. It's specifically designed to improve the sound of the hp. 

Is Modular doing another round?  I read in the other thread that he isn't doing it anymore which is why I gave up on getting jergpads.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #14,991 of 22,116

you're saying putting a strip of velour on the outside of the pleather affects the sound? i don't know who modular is but I'd probably just have my friend cut them for me. she's making me custom pads from scratch anyway :D

i dunno I'm just not feeling these things. i'll wash them but they really don't feel great on my head but then again I've only had them on an hour total.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #14,992 of 22,116
Modular has been manufacturing the jergpads for groups of interested members for the past several months. I think that he's done two batches now??

You have nothing to loose by trying the washing procedure. Just get two bowls. One with warm water and one with warm water and mild detergent. Plop the velours in the warm soapy water and squeeze them vigorously (no jokes please). Then do the same in the plain water bowl. Blot them dry and let them sit overnight to dry. This made a big difference in terms of feel for me. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #14,993 of 22,116
  Modular has been manufacturing the jergpads for groups of interested members for the past several months. I think that he's done two batches now??

You have nothing to loose by trying the washing procedure. Just get two bowls. One with warm water and one with warm water and mild detergent. Plop the velours in the warm soapy water and squeeze them vigorously (no jokes please). Then do the same in the plain water bowl. Blot them dry and let them sit overnight to dry. This made a big difference in terms of feel for me. 

can you shed some light as to how a strip of velour on the outside of the pleathers affects the sound quality?

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #14,994 of 22,116
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-5-modulor-orders-updated-november

wink.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #14,995 of 22,116

"More importantly, it improves the sound quality by breaking the seal of the pleather material, giving a significantly more open and “out of the head” sound, WITHOUT losing the natural tonal balance of the pleathers/jergpads. Dynamics are improved dramatically also."

That's what said in regards to the strip of velour on the outside of the pleathers. So the point isn't that it's velour, the point is that the tiny sliver creates enough space to increase the dynamics? I suppose I can buy into that. But probably not worth it not feeling good on my head. I can hardly hear a difference between stock velour and stock pleather, so I doubt any mods would even be detectable for me.

I'm more interested in hearing my custom pads, when I get 'em :]

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #14,996 of 22,116
After several months with the HE-400, I've decided to move on from them. They should be appearing in the For Sale section in the next week or so. They are excellent cans, but I'm just not a fan of the signature and the absolutely wild highs. I love my cans bright and exciting, but they need to have some sort of control which the HE-400 has none. Haven't decided to move onto an HE-500 or HD 700 yet.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #14,997 of 22,116

All I did was cut holes on the inside of the pleathers, and it made a noticeable difference in the sound. I haven't tried to sew on the velours. I tried the backvent mod, but it seemed flimsy and I didn't notice much sonic difference. 

As far as washing the velours, I literally threw them in with my laundry. Washer and and dryer. They got a lot of lint stuck to them, but they are much softer now 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #14,998 of 22,116
  mmm... not really. you're just an idiot getting seriously ripped off.

They can probably make a batch of a few hundred earpads in china for a few bucks and wait for the few idiotic audiophile suckers that are willing to throw down a Benjamin for 2 pieces of foam & 2 scraps of leather - aka "the luxury of the item" - and laugh all the way to the bank after selling one, because I would say at least 95% of that price is pure profit.

Of course, if you make enough money that you can drop $100 and be too lazy to pick it up without worrying... then ya, I guess it doesn't matter.... I think the willingness for many audiophile consumers to throw tons of money at their hobby makes it really easy for companies to mark-up their prices higher & higher, because they actually end up only need a few customers to make a profit since most of the retail price is purely mark-up.

This is why when a company comes along and offers products at a MUCH lower price with the same if not better performance, it's nice to be able to support that company. Companies like Schiit, Audio-GD, HifiMan and the likes come to mind. Then you've got the absurd like Abyss headphones, LOL $1,000 cable, REALLY? Better be made of unicorn guts and shielding of a dragon's back.

Edit in bold

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #14,999 of 22,116

This is why when a company comes along and offers products at a MUCH lower price with the same if not better performance, it's nice to be able to support that company. Companies like Schiit, Audio-GD, and the likes come to mind.

+1  and Jason at Schiit and Qinghua (Kingwa) at Audio GD are also awesome people to deal with, both answer E-mails personally and quickly.                                                                                                                                                                                

Users who are viewing this thread

Back