**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #14,971 of 22,116
^^ I found the jergpads to be strikingly comfortable and I'm as picky as anyone on comfort. You just can't do better on comfort and sound quality improvement than those IMO. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #14,974 of 22,116
Just unboxed my he400s. First impression: sounds great, feels like a freight train is strapped to my head.

Additionally:
clarity, extension, soundstage are all great
bass is so defined and beautiful

What I don't like are the ergonomics and some strange coloration in the upper mids. Velours are on the way, so we'll see.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #14,975 of 22,116
people, those pads are so expensive because 1. they're handmade and 2. that's how much things made out of that material go for in ANY hobby. not just ours.

i may try the velours for the first time today, as I finally got my pair replaced after about nine months (my original pair arrived torn).

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #14,977 of 22,116
It's not too hard. Just get 2 of them on normally, then bend the plastic to get the third one in. For the fourth one, use a credit card to push it in. You can probably use the credit card method for 3 and 4, but that's not how I did it.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #14,979 of 22,116
I usually use a credit card for 3 and 4. I trimmed the flap thing that connects the pads to the plastic ring, so my pads tend to come off when I try to bend the ring. It gets easier with practice but it's a stupid system. I want something that rotates, like on the Q701. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #14,980 of 22,116
Yeah I didn't realize I hadn't taken the ring off. I mean, I full disassembled about four of these headphones, painted them and put them back together ... but I always had someone else do the pads. Is that weird? It must be.

Anyway, God the pleathers are so much more comfortable for me. I hate the feel of the velours and they clamp a lot more than the pleathers do on my giant head.

But I'm giving them an honest listen. :]

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #14,981 of 22,116
  Yeah I didn't realize I hadn't taken the ring off. I mean, I full disassembled about four of these headphones, painted them and put them back together ... but I always had someone else do the pads. Is that weird? It must be.

Anyway, God the pleathers are so much more comfortable for me. I hate the feel of the velours and they clamp a lot more than the pleathers do on my giant head.

But I'm giving them an honest listen. :]

Yes that weird, very. 
tongue.gif
 The reason that the jergpads are so good is that you get the best of all worlds: comfort of the pleathers, softness of the velour fabric and sound improvement based on the mod. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #14,982 of 22,116
  Yes that weird, very. 
tongue.gif
 The reason that the jergpads are so good is that you get the best of all worlds: comfort of the pleathers, softness of the velour fabric and sound improvement based on the mod. 
biggrin.gif

The velour is scratchy to my ears, a bit. I'm not sure I'd like the velour on the pleathers but perhaps I'd get used to it. And as far as it being weird .. I still think the actual disassembly of the HE-400 is easier than changing the pads. >_>

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #14,984 of 22,116
The velours are "scratchy" and sibilant sounding, the pleathers are hollow sounding and have midrange glare, modded pleathers are the way to go, probably with the velour mod as well but not tried that, you know you will do it eventually : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back