Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #256 of 4,142

Just received EF5 on Monday, and have been listening since then. I thought that I can share some initial impression with you guys as I promised before.

First of all it seems that HifiMan has made some cosmetic change to the amp. The biggest surprise is the stock tube which has been switched from RCA tube to a TJ Full Music 12AU7 tube. It’s a premium tube which has been confirmed not only by other users but also Fang himself that outperforms the RCA tube. The build quality is definitely top notch, and feel very very solid at hand. It also looks pretty good on the desk. Someone has complained about the gain switch which didn’t make significant difference between Lo and Hi setting. HifiMan must have made some changes, because at least on my HE-4 I can only listen at 9 o’clock position at Hi setting. I prefer the low setting which I can comfortably listen at 12 o’clock position. You can have to give to HifiMan for constantly improving their products based on user feedback.

In terms of sound comparing to my Headroom Micro amp, the sound is now fuller, thicker, and warmer. The mids are more forward which makes vocal becomes a little bit more intimate. Treble no longer gets sibilant easily. I find myself rarely adjusting volume during the middle of a song. I used to do that a lot with my Headroom amp. I feel that the sound can definitely open up a little bit more after some burning in, or maybe my ears just need to get used to the tube sound. :)

[size=12.0pt]Overall I am really happy about this combo, especially considering the price. Time to start saving for HE-6. :)[/size]

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #257 of 4,142
Thanks for sharing your impressions on the combo! It's nice to see that they've made changes to the amp and use a 12AU7 TJ tube now, guess I'll probably jump onto the same combo for my second rig.

Quote:

Just received EF5 on Monday, and have been listening since then. I thought that I can share some initial impression with you guys as I promised before.

First of all it seems that HifiMan has made some cosmetic change to the amp. The biggest surprise is the stock tube which has been switched from RCA tube to a TJ Full Music 12AU7 tube. It’s a premium tube which has been confirmed not only by other users but also Fang himself that outperforms the RCA tube. The build quality is definitely top notch, and feel very very solid at hand. It also looks pretty good on the desk. Someone has complained about the gain switch which didn’t make significant difference between Lo and Hi setting. HifiMan must have made some changes, because at least on my HE-4 I can only listen at 9 o’clock position at Hi setting. I prefer the low setting which I can comfortably listen at 12 o’clock position. You can have to give to HifiMan for constantly improving their products based on user feedback.

In terms of sound comparing to my Headroom Micro amp, the sound is now fuller, thicker, and warmer. The mids are more forward which makes vocal becomes a little bit more intimate. Treble no longer gets sibilant easily. I find myself rarely adjusting volume during the middle of a song. I used to do that a lot with my Headroom amp. I feel that the sound can definitely open up a little bit more after some burning in, or maybe my ears just need to get used to the tube sound. :)

[size=12.0pt]Overall I am really happy about this combo, especially considering the price. Time to start saving for HE-6. :)[/size]

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #258 of 4,142
I received my HE4/EF5 combo on Monday and have been burning them in nonstop to get them ready for the upcoming meet here in Calgary, AB on Sunday.  One of the people attending the meeting has an LCD-2 and HE-6 so we should be getting some decent impressions comparing these models.  First thing I noticed was that voices could get a bit siblant and that the voices weren't as recessed as I figured they would be.  I have about 50 or so hours on them now and they are definately less siblant and the soundstage is improving quite a bit.  I have limited experience with other headphones but I've owned HD580's and RS1's in the past.  There's definately less veil compared to the 580's and a little less detail than the RS1's but the soundstage is huge.  Nothing offensive about this headphone.  I'm sure you guys will be getting some impressions compared to the more expensive HE-6's and LCD-2's after Sunday.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #259 of 4,142
Really glad to hear that. After I switched from Headroom micro amp to EF5, the sound becomes warmer and richer, but it somehow shrinks the soundstage. 

Quote:
I received my HE4/EF5 combo on Monday and have been burning them in nonstop to get them ready for the upcoming meet here in Calgary, AB on Sunday.  One of the people attending the meeting has an LCD-2 and HE-6 so we should be getting some decent impressions comparing these models.  First thing I noticed was that voices could get a bit siblant and that the voices weren't as recessed as I figured they would be.  I have about 50 or so hours on them now and they are definately less siblant and the soundstage is improving quite a bit.  I have limited experience with other headphones but I've owned HD580's and RS1's in the past.  There's definately less veil compared to the 580's and a little less detail than the RS1's but the soundstage is huge.  Nothing offensive about this headphone.  I'm sure you guys will be getting some impressions compared to the more expensive HE-6's and LCD-2's after Sunday.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #260 of 4,142
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]I have finally received the Hifiman HE-4 and EF5 and I have just listened to this combination for about 2 hours. The source I used is MusicStreamer 2+. I purchased this combo from the positive reviews here in Head-fi forum.[/size]

[size=11pt]I have to say that my impression when I first listened to the headphones was disappointment to say the least. I was expecting it to be a step up from my Grado SR80 fed through the Headroom “Little” amplifier and Cambridge Audio D500SE (now obsolete). Sadly, based on memory (I do not own the Cambridge audio CD player anymore), I felt that the Grados/Cambridge Audio had a better sound, that is, tighter bass, more dynamics, more weight and mids were more forward than my hifimans. [/size]
[size=11pt]I enjoy listening to mainly rock, and blues music on flac files. [/size][size=11pt]I was expecting to be blown away by the bass, based on the reviews here. The bass was there but it was muddy compared to the SR80. This is not to say that there is no bass on the hifiman, in fact I felt that the bass went lower than the SR80, but the HE-4’s bass was not tight. Overall, I felt the music was flat and lifeless, [/size]

[size=11pt]A concern I have is that I keep hearing a background hissing sound when playing music. It is relatively quiet but still audible nevertheless, especially when the volume knob is turned up. Have to do more listening and burning in to confirm this.[/size]

[size=11pt]On the plus side, the construction of the HE-4/EF5 was solid and felt robust and the headphones is heavier than I thought. However, the quality of the music is all that matters.[/size]

[size=11pt]I hope things will improve after burn in then I will make another comparison to my SR80.[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #261 of 4,142
Don't know about SR80 or EF5 but the sound coming from my HE-4 sample fed either single ended from my RPX-100 or balanced fro the Protector is certainly not flat or with muddy bass, nor is there any hiss. The soundstage is big and airy and the bas is deep and tight with great slam and control. Yes the midrange might be considered ever so slightly recessed especially compared to an SR80 that I understand from reading is rather in your face (no personal experience)

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #262 of 4,142
Yea, im not sure what the issue might be, but the way you describe your HE-4's sounds like something might be wrong. I find the soundstage on the HE-4's to very open and natural. I much prefer their soundstage to any of my headphones including my K702's and i find they have and extremely clean, tight and powerful bass.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #263 of 4,142
No hiss from our demo unit. I did think they were rather congested... one could be harsh and say muddy. I thought the bass was quite pleasing and didn't think it was muddy.

Maybe HE-4s aren't the same :p. I guess it depends what you have to compare to and whether you prefer a coloured or neutral sound.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #264 of 4,142
This def doesn't sound right to me either. Your impression seems to be the total opposite of mine. I am not going to repeat what I have already said before. I do agree that EF5 does sound a bit un-refined initially, but i seriously doubt burning in will change anything if this is really what you think right now. I totally understand that everyone has different taste of music, and the only thing matters is how much YOU enjoy a headphone, but not other head-fiers. I think that most of ppl will agree that Grado is something unique, and holds its own when it comes to reproduce rock. You should probably look at RS1 for upgrading from SR80. Nothing but Grados will be able to offer you the unique experience you have been enjoying on your SR80.

[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]I have finally received the Hifiman HE-4 and EF5 and I have just listened to this combination for about 2 hours. The source I used is MusicStreamer 2+. I purchased this combo from the positive reviews here in Head-fi forum.[/size]

[size=11pt]I have to say that my impression when I first listened to the headphones was disappointment to say the least. I was expecting it to be a step up from my Grado SR80 fed through the Headroom “Little” amplifier and Cambridge Audio D500SE (now obsolete). Sadly, based on memory (I do not own the Cambridge audio CD player anymore), I felt that the Grados/Cambridge Audio had a better sound, that is, tighter bass, more dynamics, more weight and mids were more forward than my hifimans. [/size]
[size=11pt]I enjoy listening to mainly rock, and blues music on flac files. [/size][size=11pt]I was expecting to be blown away by the bass, based on the reviews here. The bass was there but it was muddy compared to the SR80. This is not to say that there is no bass on the hifiman, in fact I felt that the bass went lower than the SR80, but the HE-4’s bass was not tight. Overall, I felt the music was flat and lifeless, [/size]

[size=11pt]A concern I have is that I keep hearing a background hissing sound when playing music. It is relatively quiet but still audible nevertheless, especially when the volume knob is turned up. Have to do more listening and burning in to confirm this.[/size]

[size=11pt]On the plus side, the construction of the HE-4/EF5 was solid and felt robust and the headphones is heavier than I thought. However, the quality of the music is all that matters.[/size]

[size=11pt]I hope things will improve after burn in then I will make another comparison to my SR80.[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #266 of 4,142
No, no, no, the HE-4 sucks and you should sell it to me to help fund your new RS-1i!

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #267 of 4,142
I have just ordered the HE4. At first I wanted to get the HE-6 but the weight put me off. I already have a HD800 for high end segment now I need HE-4 for everyday use, even PC and movies. I recently also purchased an Azur 350A to use explicitly with these heaphones and for that occasion I have made a 4pin XLR>speaker tap adapter cable. I also have a HE-6 4 pin cable. :)

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #268 of 4,142
The headphone out from a pc will no way be able to handle the HE-4, they require way too much power for that. For that use you will need the HE-6P (apparently now called HE-500)

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #269 of 4,142
^I think he knows that, he meant using them for PC applications rather than using a PC sound output. 
rolleyes.gif

This HE-6p/HE-500 sounds interesting though, please elaborate.

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #270 of 4,142
The HE-6p (p for portable) is supposed to be much easier to drive and deliver sq somewhere between HE-5LE and HE-6 and be priced in between as well. I was supposed to have received one for demo for the Danish meet coming Saturday but it's not ready yet so Fang sent me the HE-4 instead.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534323/he-6p-loaner-program#post_7206463

Users who are viewing this thread

Back