Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #241 of 4,142

Quote:
The cups are the same exact size as the HE-5/5LE and 6. But it weighs less because of the 1 sided ortho. It's really no bigger than the HE-90 or the LCD-2's. 

Even though they are big, which gives a really nice soundstage, you forget that you have them on. I've worn them for 5 hours straight in a comfortable temperature environment.
Like the O2's, they grow on you quickly, as far as size and comfort are concerned.

Thank you for this info, its good to know they are comfortable. I think I will be ordering them cans in a week. :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #242 of 4,142
I just heard these cans for the first time at the Brissy Head-fi meet and the soundstage and imaging was just screwed it was like the sound was coming diagonally back from my head.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #243 of 4,142
That is not at all how I experience them (am listening to them playing Patricia Barbers Cafe Blue on FIM as I'm writing this). They produce a very nice and open in front of me sound stage

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #244 of 4,142
The only thing that I hear from the back of my head while wearing the HE-4's, is my wife mumbling something that could probably wait until I am finished listening to my music for that session.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #245 of 4,142
ROFLMAO

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #248 of 4,142

Quote:
The 6s have damping material over the back/upper quarter of the surface area. I notice there is nothing used on the 4s.

Interesting.  Well, without the inside magnets dispersion must be greatly improved with the HE-4.  It wouldn't surprise me if the reduction in control over the diaphragm is somewhat (or even completely in some manner) offset by the improved dispersion with no inside magnets.

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #250 of 4,142
Just realized the white stripey stuff looks kind of like the 3M micropore/transpore tape that I've seen used for damping the Fostex T50RP, but its used on the back of the driver. They then use felt/wool in some cases to damp parts of the front of the driver - I guess kind of like what you are saying (Happy Camper) is done to the HE-6.

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #251 of 4,142

Quote:
Maybe immtbiker would give us his opinion on all the different HE models since I think he has had time with all of them at home (whereas I've only heard the others in a loud meet environment). 

Yes, yes, that would be interesting... I've never heard any planar magnetic (or electrostatic) headphones, actually...  But I own speakers with planar midrange and tweeter drivers, and love them.  The only thing that compares is electrostatics - and the bass integration of vintage Infinities (and Carvers) is infinitely better than any stat + dynamic woofer combo out there.

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #252 of 4,142

Quote:
Just realized the white stripey stuff looks kind of like the 3M micropore/transpore tape that I've seen used for damping the Fostex T50RP, but its used on the back of the driver. They then use felt/wool in some cases to damp parts of the front of the driver - I guess kind of like what you are saying (Happy Camper) is done to the HE-6.

My other thought is that it could be there just to prevent buzzing from the diaphragm hitting the screen when undergoing large excursions.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #254 of 4,142

Quote:
Underneath the pads on my HE-4 (received mid-February):

Farnsworth's HE-4 pics:

So, anyone know what is the purpose of the white stripeys?

Hmmmm... Very interesting. I wonder what the reason was for the change and how it affects the sound. Hopefully someone can chime in on what the purpose of the white stripes are.

Good catch on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back