Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #3,781 of 4,142
Haha well this is getting weird.

Anyways, I'm not sure what prompted my removing of that felt when I first tried it. I think I already experienced the HE400 (original) without the grills and how much more open it sounded and wanted to try the full experience with the HE4 (grill less and star felt less). To my surprise having both off really did a great deal of right for the headphone, I'm glad you guys are still enjoying it!

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #3,782 of 4,142
Haha well this is getting weird.

Anyways, I'm not sure what prompted my removing of that felt when I first tried it. I think I already experienced the HE400 (original) without the grills and how much more open it sounded and wanted to try the full experience with the HE4 (grill less and star felt less). To my surprise having both off really did a great deal of right for the headphone, I'm glad you guys are still enjoying it!

Funny how mine didn't come with that star felt and having only this:

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #3,786 of 4,142
Star felt on my HE-4 is/was grill side.

Star felt on my HE-5LE is both sides.

Are we just now discovering several different 4/5LE revisions? Neither my 4 or 5LE had any foam whatsoever...

Nov 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3,788 of 4,142
I noticed recently that when I crank the volume high, there's a slight ' tzzzz tzzzz' going on at around 100hz. Then I switched backed to my iem and noticed that it wasn't the source's fault. Does that happen to you guys as well? Is it a problem that I have the bery early production model? Damn... I can't even service these because we don't have any he4 components in South Korea.... obviously.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #3,791 of 4,142
Well.... how can I clean the drivers then? The diaphram is nano-meter grade so I thought touching or cleaning it with a tissue would damage the diaphram instantly.

I use canned air from a distance but you could damage your drivers that way if you're not careful or know what you're doing. I would ask Hifiman if you want the official way to clean it but look first to see if that's even the problem before you create another one.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,792 of 4,142
Thanks to Solderdude's filter design (seriously, I didn't do any of this myself) I've been able to try a couple configurations with the intent of lowering the intensity of the HE-4's treble. This filter is merely a circuit of resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

The "full filter" essentially holds the 6-8kHz area in one place and raises the surrounding frequencies in order to remove the peak entirely (this peak isn't as evident on my measurement rig as it is on purrin's -- you may have to do some digging if you want to see his measurements). The full filter config is a little bright for my tastes, but it brings more upper mid/lower treble clarity.

If I "short" a couple components in the circuit, the filter merely cuts the hot treble and leaves everything else the same. This darker presentation is up my alley. The treble isn't affected enough to remove the essence of the HE-4 but it's enough to remove/reduce my need for EQ.

I really like the idea of a filter mod because it doesn't mechanically dampen the driver. Most often the easiest way to lower treble intensity is to put something between your ear and the driver (felt, toilet paper, microfiber cloth, etc.) but this improvement sometimes comes with the trade off of muffling the sound as a whole.

The filter isn't all perfect though, as it doesn't remove the driver's tendency for sibilance. Some things we are going to just have to deal with in the end. Either way, I'd like to think these could be used to "fix" many headphones -- and I believe Solderdude has made efforts to get that point across as well.

Anyway, I just figured I'd post some of my results. Not sure if this is something people are interested in or not. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Do not compare these measurements to my old measurements in this thread. Totally different measuring setups, totally different results.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,794 of 4,142
As much as I adore the he4 as is, I really am interested in buying what I'm guessing is a pigtail? Just a short adapter you plug into the standard hp plug?

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #3,795 of 4,142
Yes, Solderdude is the designer/engineer of the Garage1217 amps. He helped me quite a bit over at his site (DIYAH).

The filter can sit wherever you want. I've only had it in a breadboard for testing, basically in-line with the headphone cable. If you really liked the effect, you could end up hard-modding the filter inside the cups of the headphone (which is what Solderdude does on his budget headphone mods).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back