Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3,347 of 4,142
Isn't Aliexpress a shady site?  I seem to recall reading about people getting fakes from there...  

*Not trying to disparage anyone, just asking a genuine question.  

That site doesn't have the best reputation on this site. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but I don't go out of my way to order from risky websites/sellers. That said, most of the items on there are also available of eBay and Amazon...

I warn people that most of the lower price aftermarket cables have terrible microphonics and/or are stiff. This is fine if you never move your head or body while listening to your cans.. Good luck with that.

If you're looking for a great value for aftermarket... Stick with Canare or Magomi cables. Flexible and no microphonics. There are plenty of sellers on eBay that carry these.

As always IMHO, YMMV, etc...

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #3,348 of 4,142
Alright guys, couple of things to take note on. Looking at the liner there's a rounder side and a flatter side, the flatter side is towards the driver and rounder side towards your ear. Also make sure the pattern is going vertical and not horizontal or diagonally. You want it to follow the vertical pattern of the diaphragm's metallic part.

Also be sure to cut space where screws will go through the edge of the liner. Should be a simple 30m mod if not less. Also tighten the screws in a star pattern like you would a car wheel.

Will do!
My felt arrived yesterday. It may be a while before I get the chance to do the mod, but I will do it at some point in the near future.
Thanks again!

EDIT: This has nothing to do with the above post, but I just got the Audio Technica ATH-IM02 in the mail, and these IEMs are wonderful. I'd highly recommend them to any HE-4 owner looking for a portable.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3,350 of 4,142
Hey guys.. What's the logical upgrade to the HE-4? T1, HE-560 or HE-6? And why?

I haven't heard the HE-6, but I've heard the T1 and the HE-560, and I'd recommend the 560.  It's got a similar sound signature just better all around.  The T1 doesn't have that planar bass.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #3,351 of 4,142
That also depends on amping. I hear my audio gd can amp the He6, but not to it's potential. While the 560 seems much more efficient and not as picky. Personally I want to go he6, since my amp can at least get a good part there. But I also like the idea of having that hifiman nostalgia hp

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #3,352 of 4,142
If you want a bit of better everything and don't mind losing that nice he4 bass then the 560 is the logical step up. So many are going for a cheap price (relatively) it's crazy but I fear people are either underamping them or want a sound tilt to more warmth or mids. The 560 to me is very linear from lows to highs and is able to give clarity and detail while still keeping musicality. Consider it the friendly version of the hd800 whereas the hd800 will very picky on system, song mastering, etc. The 560 can be driven easily by most decent amps where as the he4 and he6 really need juice to get going, more so the latter.

The T1 with its price isn't really worth it to me. It does give a nice decay on the upper mids to highs which can sound grest to those looking but like stillhart says, no planar bass and is a dynamic driver.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #3,353 of 4,142
Someone new come join the awesome he4 clan...its getting so quiet in here. So in some random life events, i have stumbled upon  different situations where i may be buying some rare vintage amps. One at work, where a customer has apparently a stash of mcintosh amps, the other from a co worker with a bunch of unwanted vintage amps. I also received a lathe for free from aforementioned co worker, so after i get my t50 mod cups/baffles done, ill be trying to make he4 cups, my preferred wood still remains black limba but ill be looking elsewhere as its brittle when as thin as hifiman cups. I still have yet to try the mods soundsgoodtome sent me material for, i try, but man, a 2 year old/4 month old plus work, never get any hobby time!

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #3,354 of 4,142
  Someone new come join the awesome he4 clan...its getting so quiet in here. So in some random life events, i have stumbled upon  different situations where i may be buying some rare vintage amps. One at work, where a customer has apparently a stash of mcintosh amps, the other from a co worker with a bunch of unwanted vintage amps. I also received a lathe for free from aforementioned co worker, so after i get my t50 mod cups/baffles done, ill be trying to make he4 cups, my preferred wood still remains black limba but ill be looking elsewhere as its brittle when as thin as hifiman cups. I still have yet to try the mods soundsgoodtome sent me material for, i try, but man, a 2 year old/4 month old plus work, never get any hobby time!

I've got a 2-y-o and I declined to go for the second one right away.  One is hard enough!  lol

@Oregonian might come say hi if you ask nicely.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #3,355 of 4,142

Cool, I want a lathe, but then I would have to buy all the other tools to go with it.... Sounds like a fun project once you can learn things... How about building a closed cup wih tons of volume inside the cup and play around with damping. Could sound good if you're willing to put the work into it!

Btw, I just acquired an Audio-GD nab-10.33, and have been really impressed..only exception, is paired with the HE-4! The balanced headphone out is quite powerful. I'm still a firm believer that the Oppo HA-1 is the best I've hard my HE-4 , but this doesn't suck. The hA1 was awesome at something's!

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #3,356 of 4,142
Well here's the deal. I got an he400 shell to use for an open t50rp mod. But I'm guessing that'll go south, so I have a plan to make closed cups for the t50 that'll fit in the hifiman shell, so I could try the he4 driver in there as well. But like I said, these are plans, and it a very very tough for me to get enough time right now to really dig into these projects. Trust me I really hope ic an do this, I think about it all day!

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #3,357 of 4,142

I'm in.  Got mine from Stillhart (thanks bud!) and do love them.  First day I put a Inspired Laser Designs grill in place, started pad rolling (have tried stock pleather, stock verlour, Denon suede topped, stock Denon's, Audeze leather (talk about comfy!), and last night HM5 extra thick pleathers.  Have a pair of Focus pads due in Friday to try. 

Like them better than the HE-400 I had by a smidge but it's hard to use memory to compare. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,358 of 4,142
I also came from he400, to me it was a good sized difference simply because the mids and no treble tizz. That was on my pioneer. Once I got my audio gd...game over

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,359 of 4,142

I'm in.  Got mine from Stillhart (thanks bud!) and do love them.  First day I put a Inspired Laser Designs grill in place, started pad rolling (have tried stock pleather, stock verlour, Denon suede topped, stock Denon's, Audeze leather (talk about comfy!), and last night HM5 extra thick pleathers.  Have a pair of Focus pads due in Friday to try. 

Like them better than the HE-400 I had by a smidge but it's hard to use memory to compare. 

Do you have a picture of the grill?  I'm curious.  Btw, I am considering purchasing the Audeze Non-Leather pads for my HE-4 due to a recommendation from a HE-6 owner.  

(Notice how I didn't say vegan?
evil_smiley.gif
)

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3,360 of 4,142
Here's the HE-6 and HE-4, both with different versions of this type of grill mod.  Have the suspension strap on both as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back