Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,361 of 4,142
You're just using one of their "computer fan grill" things?  What size is it?  Does it open up the soundstage like doing a "normal" grill mod?

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #3,362 of 4,142
  You're just using one of their "computer fan grill" things?  What size is it?  Does it open up the soundstage like doing a "normal" grill mod?

Yes, cutting off the tabs and press fitting them in the opening.

It does open up the soundstage a lot - look at my HE-6 version, the one with the very open pattern.  I really noticed the difference between that and stock, more so than just my regular first generation mod. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #3,363 of 4,142

Yes, cutting off the tabs and press fitting them in the opening.

It does open up the soundstage a lot - look at my HE-6 version, the one with the very open pattern.  I really noticed the difference between that and stock, more so than just my regular first generation mod. 

Those things are HAWT.  I might have to snag a pair for my HE-560.  Is there a thread on this mod?  I can haz questions!

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,364 of 4,142
  Here's the HE-6 and HE-4, both with different versions of this type of grill mod.  Have the suspension strap on both as well. 

Do they both sound equally open or is the bio-hazard one better? Seems the 1st one offers more protection but at the cost of lesser soundstage?

I wonder what having the center piece on this one would do to the sound. Kinda like how Grado puts the center dots to change the sound on their grills...

The spider web ones look kinda cool without the center portion.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,365 of 4,142
I was looking at this one:

And this one because I'm a sucker for dragons 
redface.gif
:

I suspect that the dragon one isn't open enough.  

Are people putting felt or pantyhose or whatever behind these for some minimal protection?

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,366 of 4,142
There's a hifiman grill mod thread. Some are using pantyhose or other materials. But hifiman said themselves they had the he6? I think, open for a year or something no grill nothing, and never had an issue. I myself have had mine open almost a year...no issue. Only time I put the grills in is when I let my son listen to them(2 year old hands can damage things) and when I sent them to thujone. Those computer grills are badass though. I do like that Sun one up there.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3,367 of 4,142
There's a hifiman grill mod thread. Some are using pantyhose or other materials. But hifiman said themselves they had the he6? I think, open for a year or something no grill nothing, and never had an issue. I myself have had mine open almost a year...no issue. Only time I put the grills in is when I let my son listen to them(2 year old hands can damage things) and when I sent them to thujone. Those computer grills are badass though. I do like that Sun one up there.

I mostly want the cover in there for aesthetics.  I love the stock look of the HE-560 and I think the open look is too busy.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #3,371 of 4,142
From reading the grill mod thread, it seems the HFM opening is something like 86mm.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #3,374 of 4,142
The ones to order is 80mm.  Anything more and it  would be way too big.

The bio hazard one is definitely more open and less protection as was pointed out but if you're careful and don't have little ones around it's no worry.  I also use no dust protection. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #3,375 of 4,142
I'm confused... I think the 120mm includes the screw holes? I dont know.

They all have screw holes, you just have to cut the ear tabs off with the holes to make them work. 

51xDKxzFNGL._AA160_.jpg

Oh, and check this out...................I have a pair of these and will be putting them in next to check them out.

510zzk25KFL._AA160_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back