Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,493 of 4,142
I added general recommendations for pads according to preference of each listener... Let me know if you want me to add any specific category or correct something!

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,494 of 4,142
I added general recommendations for pads according to preference of each listener... Let me know if you want me to add any specific category or correct something!

Looks really good, thank you!

Maybe we can add in some info at the top about HE-4 revisions. Not everyone has the star felt in more recent releases, from my understanding

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #2,495 of 4,142
Looks really good, thank you!

Maybe we can add in some info at the top about HE-4 revisions. Not everyone has the star felt in more recent releases, from my understanding

Thank you for your feedback!

I am still not sure how many different HE-4s are out there... I am aware of the early one version without the start felt (foam circle/disc instead), and the one w/ star felt which should be the current one. But I will add a note (just click on the star felt mode link and you will immediately find it).

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #2,496 of 4,142
Hey guys,

So I have been out of the loop for awhile when it comes to the HE-4's (actually just sold mine off). 

I would like to get the first post as comprehensive as possible. I went through the thread a few months ago trying to add in additional links to the first post but i am sure I missed some great information.

If anyone has any reviews, modifications, photo's, etc that they feel should be linked on the first post please PM me with the details and I can update it as necessary.

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,497 of 4,142
There is something magical about the Beyer 990 pads... It's the way HE-4 presents music with them - it's not like listening to headphones, it's like being there, at the gig... Super-transparent and open sound. Obviously you cannot headbang much with the phones on your head... but still 
biggrin.gif

(Don't know why but each time I look at the pads, I think of Mshenay and his enthusiasm for uber-treble-heavy sound... 
cool.gif
 Maybe he somewhat managed to spoil me!)

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2,498 of 4,142
HIFIMAN HE-4 ADDITIONAL INFO
 ​
 ​

MEASUREMENTS:​

HE-4 with Hifiman velour pads (newer version most probably):

HE-4 with Hifiman pleather pads:

IMPORTANT NOTE: These two graphs were sourced from Personal Audio (see http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/). For alternative measurement of frequency response + distortion and CSD, please google 'Hifiman HE-4 measurements' and find a page of this exact name, as it is not allowed to post links, refer or even name this specific website on Head-Fi AND (at the same time) it is also not allowed to post graphs from that website without adding a proper reference. I am not aware of any other existing measurement of Hifiman HE-4 available on the internet, therefore it should be easy to find this one out.

REVISIONS:

THE VERY FIRST EDITION:

OLDER REVISION:

CURRENT REVISION (AFAIK):

UNKNOWN VERSION (MOST PROBABLY NOT A REVISION BUT SPECIFICALLY REFURBISHED/REPAIRED HEADPHONE):

NOTE: The total number of revisions is unknown.

NOTE2: There is a speculation that the newest revision does not have the star felt (as was the case with older HE-4s).

POWER DEMANDS:
 ​

Reference: http://www.mediafire.com/view/dzwe1g73q6pbhnx/headphone%20power%20table.pdf

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,502 of 4,142
Btw, I am listening to some ripped live blu-ray or dvd concerts with the Beyer 990 pads... And I am simply amazed how much LIVE it feels. I have never heard headphone to sound as authentic, even HD800 sounded more like headphones. It's the combination of HE-4's tonality and timbre, extreme openness of Beyer pads and both recommended modifications (in the HE-4 guide) that makes the HE-4 so authentic-sounding...

The only thing that is little limiting this feeling is the fact that I am listening to headphones and therefore soundstage is simply limited to rather small area around my head. But within this space, it feels like being there, at the concert/gig, really! It's really something I have never experienced before.

I would not call HE-4 + Beyer pads neutral or timbrally perfectly accurate... But it somehow sounds very authentic.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,503 of 4,142
  There is something magical about the Beyer 990 pads... It's the way HE-4 presents music with them - it's not like listening to headphones, it's like being there, at the gig... Super-transparent and open sound. Obviously you cannot headbang much with the phones on your head... but still 
biggrin.gif

(Don't know why but each time I look at the pads, I think of Mshenay and his enthusiasm for uber-treble-heavy sound... 
cool.gif
 Maybe he somewhat managed to spoil me!)

mwahahaha

my work here is done, but seriously though Beyer Pads have a break in period [like legit no joke] so new pads tend to sound a little harsh, where as broken in pads [which sit slighty angled] tend to sound better, due to the material they use to make them, it softens over time according to the pressure put onto them by your headphones/ ur head 

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2,505 of 4,142
  Mine don't look like any of those revisions that you have above. Mine are from the last shipment that Headamp received of the HE-4 last year so I presume they are the latest revision.

Pics or didn't happen! 
wink.gif

Just an FYI the newest version of the HE-4 which I have (The last production run of it from late 2013) does not have felt on the grill side of the driver besides a somewhat thin dust cover and the grill. 

(I have seen both older and 'current' rev myself... and it would not make sense logically to not use star felt, then use it and than not use it again... So you should at least post images to prove that there might be something right about what you say. You definitely don't have to do it but I would have to leave it as a speculation then. Thanks for considering my request! :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back