HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #226 of 926

Quote:
Heya,

I'm super interested to know how they stack up to the HE-500 // LCD-2.

Very best,

blink.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #228 of 926
Alright, updated impressions after 15 hours of burn in, a little more in depth (note that my final review will be much longer, and not formated like this):

Sound:

Not a lot of difference, but I'm having second thoughts about these, positive thoughts to say the least. That being said, let's discuss why my opinion has changed. I said in the beginning that they weren't very good for rock, fast paced, or metal music. Scratch that. To sum up, they aren't analytical, finely detailed, or anything like that. I listened to these for 2 hours today in a single session, playing all sorts of music out of my Lossless collection including, but not limited to: Chevelle, SoundGarden, All That Remains, SwitchFoot, Train, Rob Zombie, and many more. While I still highly enjoy listening to slower paced music (the Halo soundtrack is a good example, sounds amazing on those), the HiFiMan's really do excel pretty decently in every genre. While not a basshead headphone, it still has enough rumble, power, and body to satisfy most people. The midrange is a very nice compliment, and while being very smooth, it is extremely easy on the ears, and enjoyable to listen to. That same statement can go to the highs as well. Not amazingly extended, but warm, and easy to listen to for very long sessions (unlike the HD800, which, even though was very much to my liking, could only listen to for very short sessions at a time before actually feeling a little sore, and I am not kidding when I say that). It's laid back, and relaxed, which is one of the reasons I choose it over some more bloomy cans. Overall, it;s very musical, and can go far in every part of the spectrum, albeit a warm headphone overall.

Design,Build Quality, & Comfort

For a $300 headphone, it's average build quality. While the silver housing isn't exactly as perfect as say, the HD800's housing, the metallic paint is a nice addition and in my opinion, looks tasty and modern. The black grills are subtle to, and nicely built, despite being plastic. Comfort wise, the headband has added foam on the bottom for comfort, and both the headband and the ear cups are very comfortable, at least to me.

That's all for now, stay tuned for more!

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #229 of 926
Alright, that's it, screw the leather pads, I am ordering a pair right now. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #231 of 926

Quote:
Heya,

Well shucks. I was hoping they were a detail monster with bass like someone else had mentioned. Oh well, I'm glad they're great!

How's it feel having a Hifiman that's not planar magnetic? Feel different?

Very best,

Nope, not detail monsters in the slightest. Haven't tried any other HiFiMan's yet.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #232 of 926

Quote:

Nope, not detail monsters in the slightest. Haven't tried any other HiFiMan's yet.

I look forward to your thoughts on the HE-500 then.

I'm looking for a headphone with the bright forward highs/mids and detail of the SRH940, with the bass of the Ultrasone Pro 900 (if such a thing exists).

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #233 of 926

Quote:

I'm looking for a headphone with the bright forward highs/mids and detail of the SRH940, with the bass of the Ultrasone Pro 900 (if such a thing exists).

Very best,

Hey MalVeauX, I'm not sure if you've seen Rebel975's impression of the HE-500 compared to the Pro 2900. It's in the high end forum.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #235 of 926

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Austin Morrow   

It's laid back, and relaxed, which is one of the reasons I choose it over some more bloomy cans. Overall, it;s very musical, and can go far in every part of the spectrum, albeit a warm headphone overall.

Sounds like good news to me. The last thing we need is yet another bass-light, treble-spike headphone with "amazing" detail.

I assume these are fairly easy to drive?

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #236 of 926

Quote:

Very best,

I used to lurk the Pro 900 Appreciation Thread for a while and saw that some guys "upgraded" from the Pro 900 to the Hifiman HE-4. Lots of HE-4 impressions are here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522157/hifiman-he-4-impressions-thread

FWIR, a couple guys that owned the Pro 900 said the HE-4 was better across the spectrum! Although, when it comes bass quantity the 900 would definitely win. But as far as quality goes they should be comparable. The HE-4 is supposed to the bassiest of the Hifiman lineup, I think. It has a slight v-shape freq response. 

In fact, because of what I've gathered on the HE-300 and HE-4 so far, I'm quite sure that the HE-4 is what I want. BTW, I'm an Ultrasone owner as well (Pro 2500).

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #237 of 926

Quote:

Very best,

There are A LOT of headphones with forward mids and treble, there's no need to be disappointed that this one doesn't happen to be like that. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #238 of 926
Alright, bad news. On the cable where the jack is, the actual housing of the jack is starting to come apart from the cable, it's only held together b a thin piece of glue. Looks like I'll be needing a replacement... :frowning2:

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #239 of 926

Quote:
Alright, bad news. On the cable where the jack is, the actual housing of the jack is starting to come apart from the cable, it's only held together b a thin piece of glue. Looks like I'll be needing a replacement... :frowning2:

Ouch sorry to hear that. You can't glue it yourself right? Since that will void the warranty.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #240 of 926
After spending quite some time with the HE-300, I must admit that this headphone is really impressive. The sound signature is really easy to like, and you get drawn into the music. The comfort let's you do so for many, many hours. You forget they are even there due to the same comfort. It has it's lowlights, but the highlights outnumbers them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back