HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Aug 10, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #196 of 926
I can't wait for my HE-300s to arrive.  These sound like they will compliment my analytical K702s nicely.  It will be nice to have a smoother sounding can.

I just hope that detail isn't sacrificed for that warmer sound.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #197 of 926
Unboxed my new HE-300 today. Some will say they are lightweighted, and others will claim their not. It's relative.

The HE-300 only is 316g and the cable is 172g. Listening to the HE-300 and after some time will compare them to HE-500 and K702.

HE-300 "warm" sounding? Way to early to conclude, but preliminary I would say definitive "No".

But again, "warm" is one of those terms - "Warm" compared to what / which headphone.

Impressions as I and HE300 get to know each other - Look in the blog.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #198 of 926
Use super-scroll :D

K i'll edit, I was sure I left the pics out and only included the author's name. 

Quote:
Did you really just do that...
Please don't quote pics, and if you find you must, crop all but one out so people don't have to scroll like a mad man.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #199 of 926
Whoo, this thread is poppin'!

First off, big thanks to Austin Morrow for not taking the pictures with a cell phone, haha! Eagerly awaiting the unboxing video!

Secondly, check out this VERY interesting quote I pulled from the Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread:

Quote:

I previously owned the pro900 before I blupgraded to the he-6, I ust got the he-300 and I believe at 300 it beats the pro900 in every aspect.

^ A strange comparison; fast/aggressive vs. laid back?

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #200 of 926

Quote:
Whoo, this thread is poppin'!

First off, big thanks to Austin Morrow for not taking the pictures with a cell phone, haha! Eagerly awaiting the unboxing video!

Secondly, check out this VERY interesting quote I pulled from the Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread:

Quote:

I previously owned the pro900 before I blupgraded to the he-6, I ust got the he-300 and I believe at 300 it beats the pro900 in every aspect.
^ A strange comparison; fast/aggressive vs. laid back?

Heya,

I'm very interested in this as a Pro 900 owner. An open headphone that costs about the same as the Pro 900 that beats it in bass? The Pro 900 is not a laid back headphone at all, it's got bright highs and punchy deep powerful bass. I'd really like to know if the HE-300 actually even comes close to this. Everyone else seems to be putting it closer to a Sennheiser. And the bass, well, I can't imagine it beating the Pro 900.

But I'm willing to find out, and if it's true, I'll buy one.

I basically want to find a headphone that does what the SRH940 and Pro900 do at the same time.

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #201 of 926
The Pro 900 is one of the most overhyped headphone I have ever had, go try some DT 990, lcd 2, or D7K fot better bass oriented cans. I hope these new hifimans trump the pro 900 in every aspect of sq or i'll be very dissapointed.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #202 of 926
A couple of pictures. The HE-300 matches the Burson HA-160D quite nice:

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #203 of 926

Quote:
The Pro 900 is one of the most overhyped headphone I have ever had, go try some DT 990, lcd 2, or D7K fot better bass oriented cans. I hope these new hifimans trump the pro 900 in every aspect of sq or i'll be very dissapointed.

Heya,

I have both the Pro 900 and the DT990. The Pro 900 has better bass. It's not a land slide, but it's very apparent. I've read that the LCD-2 definitely has strong bass, but it's also about twice the cost of both aforementioned headphones. The HE-300 is more in the range of the Pro 900 and DT990. I'd like to hear how they really compare in all aspects. I think the Pro 900 is probably my favorite bass oriented headphone. I don't think it's over-hyped. I think you simply have an LCD-2.

Now, if the HE-300 even has the same bass as the Pro 900, I will absolutely purchase it assuming it has forward mids. I'm craving a headphone that has the Pro 900's bass and the mids/highs of my SRH940. It would be my perfect headphone to find that.

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #204 of 926
Im not trying to troll I just feel strongly about the pro 900 being waay more popular then they should on here. Just my opinion of course. I cant see why the 300's would be compared to the ultrasones when they are said to be warm and somewhat laidback and have mids almost on par with the he 500. The pro have none of those qualities so that comparison might not be fair ot confuse some that havent heard the ultrasone sound signature.

What kinds of music are do you guys like with the 300?

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #205 of 926

Quote:

The only thing you listed in a similar price range as the Pro 900s are the DT 990. The LCD-2 cost 3 times as much and the D7000 are 2.5 times the price. Although I agree that the Pro 900s are not that refined no matter how you kees mod it, a lot of people listen to bass oriented music now-a-days, and it's not a bad competitor at the $300 price range for CLOSED cans. Also I don't see anywhere that the HE-300s are geared towards bassheads, and in fact the review on Headfonia is raving about their tonal balance, so I don't understand why so many people are comparing the bass to that of the Pro 900s.

I personally thought the Ultrasones overdid it in the bass department compared to what I would've liked in genres outside of hip hop and drum & bass, but some people still like it for that very reason. I have personally never heard anything that tops the Pro 900 in terms of the visceral feel from bass, but then again, I don't have many experience with cans over $500. If bass is the only thing that people are looking for, they may be better off looking at something like the XB1000s. If they want a more balanced sound but still with emphasis on the bass, the D7k looks like a good destination, but even then I doubt you'd get the same QUANTITY of bass. So as for the HE-300, sure it might have well extended bass and cleaner bass than the Pro 900, but not everyone is looking for that.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #206 of 926
For those looking for a headphone that is bassoriented - Move on - HE-300 is not the one. The rest having $300 and want an open headphone should check it out.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #208 of 926
Heard it briefly long time ago. Don't have it. So, it would not be fair to anyone to post any impressions on that. Sorry. I'll benchmark it to the K70x and the HE-500. The former for the pricerange / dynamic design and the latter being "one" step up within the HiFiMAN family (aka just for fun, since HE-500 is an Ortho).

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #209 of 926

Quote:
Unboxed my new HE-300 today. Some will say they are lightweighted, and others will claim their not. It's relative.

The HE-300 only is 316g and the cable is 172g. Listening to the HE-300 and after some time will compare them to HE-500 and K702.

HE-300 "warm" sounding? Way to early to conclude, but preliminary I would say definitive "No".

But again, "warm" is one of those terms - "Warm" compared to what / which headphone.

Impressions as I and HE300 get to know each other - Look in the blog.

It depends on which headphones your comparing them to though. 

Anyway, If I could get iMovie to stop quitting unexpectedly, then I would be able to post the unboxing...

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #210 of 926
Agree. My initial impressions are premature, I know, and I'll revert with details and a benchmark.

Looking forward to the unboxing video ... you'll get it there soon, I hope. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back