HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Aug 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #256 of 926
I was hoping to get my HE-300 today but since Head-direct uses an ABSOLUTE CRAPASS delivery system DHL (Don't Hold your Lungs?), I will have to wait until Monday at the earliest. Tracking indicated they "attempted a delivery but establishment was closed" at 2:59pm, and we were all there at the time and we close at 6:00pm. Morons.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #257 of 926
Quote:
I was hoping to get my HE-300 today but since Head-direct uses an ABSOLUTE CRAPASS delivery system DHL (Don't Hold your Lungs?), I will have to wait until Monday at the earliest. Tracking indicated they "attempted a delivery but establishment was closed" at 2:59pm, and we were all there at the time and we close at 6:00pm. Morons.

A few extra days isn't that bad. At least they aren't shipping FedEx like they did with my HE-500, and have to go through customs...

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #258 of 926
What peeves me is that they never even attempted a delivery yet said they did but that we were closed. Driver obviously wanted to finish early and just wrote it off.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #259 of 926
My USPS guy doesn't even bother bringing packages to the door if they have to be signed for, he just puts the slip in my mailbox and expects me to go pick it up.  I don't think that's a reflection on usps in general, just a lazy worker.  Still annoying though especially considering how easy it would be for him to knock and how difficult it is for me to get to a PO right now.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #261 of 926
Well, until I get a replacement cable, I am screwed...

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #262 of 926
1) HE-500 sounds darker and smoother than the HE-300. Not the other way around. IMHO.
2) HE-300 articulates better than HE-500 and for some, the HE-300 will feel like fresh air / an opened window to the music compared with the HE-500
3) HE-300 has a bass impact the excels the K70x. They are worlds apart. Generally the K702 is perceived tuned quite brighter through the whole spectrum than the HE-300
4) HE-300 and the HE-500 have both good comfort, the former is best for those appreciating it's net weight and the latter for those finding the HE-300 too light. The HE-500 feels more sturdy

Bass impact enough to make all music genres believable = tick
Vocals. Renders male and female vocals beutifully = tick
Treble extention and on the right side of "not harsh" = tick
Weight & comfort = tick
Doesn't need a separate amp = tick

Note: The HE-500's renders vocal in a truly beautifull natural way and on that arena, the HE-300 loose the "competition".

The stock cable is the same for HE-300 and the HE-500 and should be shortened or replaced by aftermarket / DIY cable. The stock cable is too solid / heavy. Buying an aftermarket cable for almost the same price could be silly, but if you own more than one HiFiMAN; well, why not, if soldering and DIY is not your thing. Just be aware that no extra ear pad, nor extra coax connectors is shipped with the HE-300. The HE-500 includes those spares.

Bottom-line: The HE-300 is a fun and engaging headphone. This on a V200/HegelHD10 combo, but more important: It is an allrounder that is also fun driven simply by the iPhone (3G) headphone jack. Unbelievable VFM.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #263 of 926
Awesome hagen, very helpful. Thanks! Anyone know which of these two differs more from HE-4? I assume HE-500 as its darker

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #264 of 926
Thank you so much for the impressions Loevhagen. They are very succinct and easy to assess. Thanks for not using a vague language :) 

For me, it is great news that they are not too dark. I was a bit worried when they were compared to HD650 

My pair is supposed to have left Hong Kong as of yesterday. I can't wait to listen to them

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #265 of 926
Used a variety of music genres to get impressions. Country, Techno, Acoustic & Vocal, pure instrumental and Live performances. E.g.

- Infected Mushroom "Vicious Delicious"
- Anders Widmark "Waiting for a Train"
- The Rippingtons "Let it Rip"
- Leonhard Cohen "Ten New Songs"
- Kirk Franklin "Hello Fear"
- Josh Turner "Your Man"
- Basshunter "Now you're gone"
- Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat"
- Stanley Clarke "East River Drive"
- a-ha "Ending on a High Note"

The HE-300 is a keeper for me. I should note that on some of these recordings, some would probably actually find the HE-300 "too bright", or that may actually just be me (cf. compared to the HE-500 and LCD-2). Anyway; the HE-300 is indeed like fresh air; sound wise and with a high SQ delivery for $300.

And, yeah, the Burson HA-160D is a nice match too:

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #266 of 926
Do you think that ef2 would have enough juice to drive he300 properly? How they deal with fast-paced music, like rock, do they still sound detail and engaging?

EDiT: Great photo above.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #267 of 926
Could you provide two examples of what you would call "fast paced music", please? Just to clarify. That could be so many things, so that's why I ask. :)

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #269 of 926
Thanks for your thoughts. I wonder if you can comment on the whole pads issue. I take it that you don't have a problem with current pads - will you buy replacements if offered? If they, as customer service told me they would, begin shipping HE-300 with new pads will you ask for them? Thanks again.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #270 of 926
GD: Which one of them. 
cool.gif
 That´s really hard to describe. The drums are really engaging (at e.g. 0:16 and 0:52) though. The HE-300 makes this song pure fun and adds a part factor.

The Offspring: Needed to get my LCD-2 as a reference to check the HE-300s abiity to articulate the different guitars in the opening. The HE-300 manages quite well, but less bodied that then LCD-2. The HE-300 sounds fast enough to not smear it. 

I can't explain better than that.

@ franconero: My only issue with the pads is that on the HE-500, my ears barely touches the inside of the drivers. Barely. On the HE-300 not at all. So, if I buy new pads, that will be for the HE-500 first and foremost. From what I can see, the pads on the HE-300 and the HE-500 are the same (thickness and depth).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back