Hifiman Ananda
Jun 16, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,201 of 4,987
Are the Hifiman Arya's worth saving the extra money to buy instead of purchasing the Hifiman Anada?

I feel like if I settle for the Anada's ill always regret not buying the Arya's....

Depends on a lot. Are you going to continue to read reviews on equipment, or just stick with what you have and to heck with whatever else is going on. I used to sell equipment, build it, flip it off of salesmans % in the '75-'95 time frame. More recently went up to 10 years without changing a piece. Learned a lot in the first cycle, enjoyed a lot more in the 2nd.

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #1,202 of 4,987
I have heard other high end phones too, they just didn't impress me for the cost. Ananda is first time I was impressed, but even the 1k cost is a little too much imo, mainly due to comfort - my head is oddly shaped though, so no their fault- and mainly due to soundstage/sub bass is a tad weak, almost perfect/dream can for me, but I will wait a couple more years to see if they nail it just right for my tastes, if they do, then I will drop some money and finally retire from this hobby.

ZMF Ori I tried once, that is $800 can, and I was not impressed. I forget what other high end I have tried, there were a lot though

I had some interest in phones back around '00-'05, but this last 4 years is where I really got into it. I've bought a number (12) of phones from $170-725. Sold many, modified some. Have 3 that I'm sticking with, looking for at least one more special can. If you like them, and have a plan to enjoy music and cut back on equipment musical chairs - more power to you.

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,203 of 4,987
Thanks Bagwell for the input!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 S, Sennheiser HD 650, and Hifiman Sundara.

I love all of them but it was my love for the HD 650 which made me purchase the HD 800 S and I have no regret in buying the HD 800 S even though it cost a pretty penny.

So I was thinking of getting a decent set of headphones from Hifiman to compliment my HD 800 S.

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #1,204 of 4,987
Thanks Bagwell for the input!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 S, Sennheiser HD 650, and Hifiman Sundara.

I love all of them but it was my love for the HD 650 which made me purchase the HD 800 S and I have no regret in buying the HD 800 S even though it cost a pretty penny.

So I was thinking of getting a decent set of headphones from Hifiman to compliment my HD 800 S.

If you are looking for a complimentary headphone to the 800S, then you’d be better off with the HEX V2, since it is much smoother, less analytical, and has more bass than the Ananda and Arya. The Ananda and Arya sound is more like Hifiman’s attempt to sound similar to the 800S. But they’re still not as analytical and won’t have as large of a soundstage.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,205 of 4,987
I would point you towards ZMF high end headphones, the Atticus maybe. Zach creates pieces of art.

Actually, no I would point you towards a headphone convention before you buy high end ever again. Find what you like best, do it, retire. That's my plan in a few years.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,206 of 4,987
I would point you towards ZMF high end headphones, the Atticus maybe. Zach creates pieces of art.

Actually, no I would point you towards a headphone convention before you buy high end ever again. Find what you like best, do it, retire. That's my plan in a few years.

I have the Ananda on loan,and I think theyre a very nice compliment to ZMF headphones,especially Aeolus and Verite.

Jun 17, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,207 of 4,987
If you are looking for a complimentary headphone to the 800S, then you’d be better off with the HEX V2, since it is much smoother, less analytical, and has more bass than the Ananda and Arya. The Ananda and Arya sound is more like Hifiman’s attempt to sound similar to the 800S. But they’re still not as analytical and won’t have as large of a soundstage.
I'm not a fan of the HD800/S in overall sound. Yes, gorgeous sound stage, but I prefer Ananda and bought it. Buying an Ananda used is top value for TOTL headphone imo.

Also, unexpected, planar sound seems much less fatiguing to me than dynamic driver. I can wear Ananda all day, never tinnitus from overexposure lol. Normal listening levels of course, never too loud.

Finally, comfort-wise they are perfect for me. The pads also never itch compared to other brands. Supplied cable has no microphonics either.

All in all zero regrets, Ananda is a beast. I also heard Arya and HE-6SE in the store and saw no reason to spend more on them. HE-6 much heavier and much harder to drive. Arya swiveling cups can be nice for some I guess. But Ananda was simply smoothest to my ears <3

Jun 17, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #1,208 of 4,987
Ananda is a true masterpiece, I agree. I wish it would fit my head better. I had to take a hand towel and fold it in half to give it thickness, then sit it under the headband, that was the only way I could get it to fit me, otherwise the earpads on the Ananda would slide down all the way, so my ears were touching the top of the earpad. Oddly shaped head I have, so not HifiMAN's fault lol

but if I did not have to do that towel thing I would 100% buy the Ananda for around $800

Jun 17, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #1,209 of 4,987
Ananda is a true masterpiece, I agree. I wish it would fit my head better. I had to take a hand towel and fold it in half to give it thickness, then sit it under the headband, that was the only way I could get it to fit me, otherwise the earpads on the Ananda would slide down all the way, so my ears were touching the top of the earpad. Oddly shaped head I have, so not HifiMAN's fault lol

but if I did not have to do that towel thing I would 100% buy the Ananda for around $800
I've seen them go as low as $600 range used :) total steal at that price. Too bad about the comfort man. Maybe you really need to look for a hi-fi store and audition the whole range, see which one fits ideally to your head.

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #1,210 of 4,987

This was very insightful!

If only I could just test both of them before making my decision :confused:

I am going to read more reviews on the HEX V2 and the ZMF headphones... hopefully I can come to a decision by next week!

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #1,211 of 4,987
I'm not a fan of the HD800/S in overall sound. Yes, gorgeous sound stage, but I prefer Ananda and bought it. Buying an Ananda used is top value for TOTL headphone imo.

Also, unexpected, planar sound seems much less fatiguing to me than dynamic driver. I can wear Ananda all day, never tinnitus from overexposure lol. Normal listening levels of course, never too loud.

Finally, comfort-wise they are perfect for me. The pads also never itch compared to other brands. Supplied cable has no microphonics either.

All in all zero regrets, Ananda is a beast. I also heard Arya and HE-6SE in the store and saw no reason to spend more on them. HE-6 much heavier and much harder to drive. Arya swiveling cups can be nice for some I guess. But Ananda was simply smoothest to my ears <3

Oh man I am torn right now....

The angel on my shoulder is saying make the smarter decision and buy a used pair of Anandas. More bang for the buck and the wallet wont be hurting as much if I can find a used pair for $600-750 ish.

But the devil on my other shoulder is telling me that if I am going to go hard on a pair of headphones, go all in and get the Aryas so I won't try selling the Anandas later to buy the Aryas...

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,212 of 4,987
But the devil on my other shoulder is telling me that if I am going to go hard on a pair of headphones, go all in and get the Aryas so I won't try selling the Anandas later to buy the Aryas...

If it's any consolation the Ananda's I bought were from an eBay seller, and it said in the description he was selling to upgrade to Arya. LOL
Personally I don't see myself upgrading :D I honestly am 100% content. I am rather budget minded though, why spend $1000 if $600 gets you so far!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,213 of 4,987
If it's any consolation the Ananda's I bought were from an eBay seller, and it said in the description he was selling to upgrade to Arya. LOL
Personally I don't see myself upgrading :D I honestly am 100% content. I am rather budget minded though, why spend $1000 if $600 gets you so far!

I can imagine that seller eventually getting the Arya and regretting his decision to sell the Ananda so he rebuys them again... :laughing:

I think I may purchase the Arya first because they still have a more stable resale value compared to the Ananda... and if they don't meet my expectations for the price I paid, I will get the Anandas!

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,214 of 4,987
hello , i need one info
in this moment i have one ampli , otl , the feliks espressivo mkII and use on HD660s and before Hd600//650 and dac SMSL su-8
now i want a buy a different and better type of headphones ..
in my mind i have think
Survana / Ananda
zmf auteur (but is more expensive)

is possible drive Ananda whit feliks espressivo mkII ?
is a good upgrade to hd660s?
thx and sorry for my english

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,215 of 4,987
hello , i need one info
in this moment i have one ampli , otl , the feliks espressivo mkII and use on HD660s and before Hd600//650 and dac SMSL su-8
now i want a buy a different and better type of headphones ..
in my mind i have think
Survana / Ananda
zmf auteur (but is more expensive)

is possible drive Ananda whit feliks espressivo mkII ?
is a good upgrade to hd660s?
thx and sorry for my english
It will work, because Ananda is easy.
But better to get JDS Atom or similar. $99
Your amp will be the bottleneck here imo..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back