Hifiman Ananda
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #4,982 of 4,987
If interested, as good technically as the Schiit fixed freq EQ's are - a digital PEQ such as UAPP Toneboosters (6 or 10 totally flexible bands) out of an Android - can be adjusted to tailor the sound much closer to the Harman or your own tastes.

Problem with hardware PEQ's is that they are way expensive, so it really only is viable in digital world. Many other flavors can be accessed via PC's too.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #4,983 of 4,987
If interested, as good technically as the Schiit fixed freq EQ's are - a digital PEQ such as UAPP Toneboosters (6 or 10 totally flexible bands) out of an Android - can be adjusted to tailor the sound much closer to the Harman or your own tastes.

Problem with hardware PEQ's is that they are way expensive, so it really only is viable in digital world. Many other flavors can be accessed via PC's too.
Agree but when you use CDs or Turntables and you want to add EQ without a PC or a Laptop using high quality balanced cables then Hardware EQ is the way to go IMHO.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #4,984 of 4,987
Agree but when you use CDs or Turntables and you want to add EQ without a PC or a Laptop using high quality balanced cables then Hardware EQ is the way to go IMHO.
Yes, I did say that w/o specifically calling out phono or CD - hardware EQ or not is the choice as hardware parametric is either very expensive, limited, or mostly made for use in studio land.

Pity, as Parametric >> Fixed EQ re: fine tuning FR adjustments. Even a 31 band fixed freq EQ can't lay a glove on a Parameteric with say 6 bands of fully selectable inputs. In part that is because you cannot adjust the Q of the slope. Headphones such as the HE-6 has several narrow peaks and valleys above 3k. A Lokius with settings at 2k, 6k, 16k is like using a sledge hammer when you just need a size 2 Phillips screwdriver. The 6.2k rise in the SE is dealt with, but that issue IMO is well less annoying than the rise centered at 3.2k. But if you use the 2k setting to deal with the big trough centered at 1.8k, that 3.2k area will be boosted, not cut.

Another way to deal with peaks not near a fixed EQ setting is the in-line filters designed and built by Solderdude. I can't use that because its for SE cables only, and my amp in SE doesn't get out of 3rd gear compared to what it does in balanced.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #4,985 of 4,987
Yes, I did say that w/o specifically calling out phono or CD - hardware EQ or not is the choice as hardware parametric is either very expensive, limited, or mostly made for use in studio land.

Pity, as Parametric >> Fixed EQ re: fine tuning FR adjustments. Even a 31 band fixed freq EQ can't lay a glove on a Parameteric with say 6 bands of fully selectable inputs. In part that is because you cannot adjust the Q of the slope. Headphones such as the HE-6 has several narrow peaks and valleys above 3k. A Lokius with settings at 2k, 6k, 16k is like using a sledge hammer when you just need a size 2 Phillips screwdriver. The 6.2k rise in the SE is dealt with, but that issue IMO is well less annoying than the rise centered at 3.2k. But if you use the 2k setting to deal with the big trough centered at 1.8k, that 3.2k area will be boosted, not cut.

Another way to deal with peaks not near a fixed EQ setting is the in-line filters designed and built by Solderdude. I can't use that because its for SE cables only, and my amp in SE doesn't get out of 3rd gear compared to what it does in balanced.
True and it’s case and existing hardware dependent. At some point o was playing Flacs and DSF music from a MacBook using JRiver and the sound was astonishing but not applicable across the board from vinyl players and CD.
Besides the transparency of the Lokius is phenomenal.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #4,986 of 4,987
True and it’s case and existing hardware dependent. At some point o was playing Flacs and DSF music from a MacBook using JRiver and the sound was astonishing but not applicable across the board from vinyl players and CD.
Besides the transparency of the Lokius is phenomenal.
Yes, the Schiit products are among the best sounding EQ's I've ever heard sonically, lack of adjustment is the hang-up for me - along with the price of the big boy. During a meet in October sponsored by Schiit, it seemed to be indicated that a DSP and/or Parametric might be in the cards later this year in answer to a query I made of Jason - but no specifics.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #4,987 of 4,987
Yes, the Schiit products are among the best sounding EQ's I've ever heard sonically, lack of adjustment is the hang-up for me - along with the price of the big boy. During a meet in October sponsored by Schiit, it seemed to be indicated that a DSP and/or Parametric might be in the cards later this year in answer to a query I made of Jason - but no specifics.
Looking forward to it 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back