Hifiman Ananda
Jun 17, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,216 of 4,987
hello , i need one info
in this moment i have one ampli , otl , the feliks espressivo mkII and use on HD660s and before Hd600//650 and dac SMSL su-8
now i want a buy a different and better type of headphones ..
in my mind i have think
Survana / Ananda
zmf auteur (but is more expensive)

is possible drive Ananda whit feliks espressivo mkII ?
is a good upgrade to hd660s?
thx and sorry for my english

It may not be a good mix. The IO out of the Feliks Espressivo MK2 is 60 while the impedance of the Ananda is 25 ohms. Looks like it has enough power for volume but the impedance mismatch can cause bass to be unruly.

A dynamic headphone would be a better choice for that amplifier. You can always get a Magni 3 for the Ananda and possibly use the Feliks as a preout.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,217 of 4,987
It may not be a good mix. The IO out of the Feliks Espressivo MK2 is 60 while the impedance of the Ananda is 25 ohms. Looks like it has enough power for volume but the impedance mismatch can cause bass to be unruly.

A dynamic headphone would be a better choice for that amplifier. You can always get a Magni 3 for the Ananda and possibly use the Feliks as a preout.
Impedance mismatch generally isn't a problem for planars at all, since they don't suffer from FR changes or not to a big degree at least. Flat impedance response curve.

I disagree with Magni though, not sure it will drive Ananda sufficiently. really not sure.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,218 of 4,987
hello , i need one info
in this moment i have one ampli , otl , the feliks espressivo mkII and use on HD660s and before Hd600//650 and dac SMSL su-8
now i want a buy a different and better type of headphones ..
in my mind i have think
Survana / Ananda
zmf auteur (but is more expensive)

is possible drive Ananda whit feliks espressivo mkII ?
is a good upgrade to hd660s?
thx and sorry for my english

I don’t own that amp, but I have auditioned the 660s side by side in a quiet room for a good amount of time. Honestly though you only need 1 minute to realize the Ananda’s have far superior detail which is supposedly the 660s strong point.

As for alternative amps, I had a magni 3 with the Ananda’s before I upgraded, and I heard distortion at higher volumes.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,219 of 4,987
Impedance mismatch generally isn't a problem for planars at all, since they don't suffer from FR changes or not to a big degree at least. Flat impedance response curve.

I disagree with Magni though, not sure it will drive Ananda sufficiently. really not sure.

Magni will run the Ananda fine. It has 1.3W going into 50 ohms while my MCTH has 1W going into 50 ohms and has plenty of volume when paired. I think, and I may be wrong, the Espressivo may actually not have enough power for the Ananda.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,220 of 4,987
Magni will run the Ananda fine. It has 1.3W going into 50 ohms while my MCTH has 1W going into 50 ohms and has plenty of volume when paired. I think, and I may be wrong, the Espressivo may actually not have enough power for the Ananda.
Not sure about the Espressivo to be very honest, have heard little about it. But I'm not a fan of driving an amp far, the more breathing room the better imo. Magni only goes so far.
Atom is just newer/better imo, and the THX AAA just all around beast. But the THX is so damn hard to get. I guess the monoprice thx will have to be good enough :thinking:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,221 of 4,987
I don’t own that amp, but I have auditioned the 660s side by side in a quiet room for a good amount of time. Honestly though you only need 1 minute to realize the Ananda’s have far superior detail which is supposedly the 660s strong point.

As for alternative amps, I had a magni 3 with the Ananda’s before I upgraded, and I heard distortion at higher volumes.

the cheapest amp you can get to make ananda sound great without distortion is JDS Labs Atom, Magni 3 is highly overrated, now that Atom exists. Atom has no distortion ever, and the blackest noise floor I have ever heard

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,223 of 4,987
Thx for help me
I have find this amp
Headamp Gilmore lite mk2
Is good for Ananda ?

I used to own the GLM2. I found it to be quite fast,sterile and for me,I didnt like it. It lacked soul to my ears,so I sold it.
I have read some Ananda owners describe the Ananda as analytical. I would think that pairing would be quite analytical. Im using an OTL to drive them and I dont find the Ananda analytical in the least.
Just my .02 and preferences in play.

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #1,224 of 4,987
I used to own the GLM2. I found it to be quite fast,sterile and for me,I didnt like it. It lacked soul to my ears,so I sold it.
I have read some Ananda owners describe the Ananda as analytical. I would think that pairing would be quite analytical. Im using an OTL to drive them and I dont find the Ananda analytical in the least.
Just my .02 and preferences in play.
thx mate
i need find one friend whit ananda , i need try before buy ..

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,225 of 4,987
Hi, I like my Ananda soundwise, but I am unhappy with the standard pads (I guess).
The whole sensation reminds me on my first tries with the rectangle Stax 4040. Just too much heat.
My first guess is that it is about the pads, although these seem to be the Ultra Pad.
Has anyone reviewed different pads for the Ananda and can share some knowledge on other options?

No one?

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #1,226 of 4,987

No. No one. Probably not ever, those pads are proprietary and it seems like hifiman is preventing 3rd parties from making their own versions. Why? At this time no one has heard a reason.

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #1,227 of 4,987
No. No one. Probably not ever, those pads are proprietary and it seems like hifiman is preventing 3rd parties from making their own versions. Why? At this time no one has heard a reason.

Thanks for answering.
The reason is that compared to my other headphones my head gets quite hot when wearing the Ananda.

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,228 of 4,987
I know this is the wrong thread, I just modded my HE-400S to have sheepskin earpads XL from brainwavz with double sided tape. OMG BOYS OMG!!!!! $100 used headphone + $40 earpads = beats Sundara in fun factor and nearly matches in clarity, and decimates in bass and sub bass. HE400S has no bass??? y'all crazy, you just need that sheepskin boys!!!!! woooooo! hifiman!!!!! listen to me!!!! HE400S with full sheepskin slams!!!!!! 10/10 all time fav headphone now. doesn't beat Ananda in imaging and clarity, but comes close... and EDM - the fun factor does beat Ananda.

spotify uri code - this song spotify:track:5y8HrpAZy3D6WHmchWlnmx - EDM --- bass slams!!!! wow... I am stunned at the clarity, and just overall fun factor... just wish I could get my hands on some Dekoni fenestrated sheepkin pads now, but $70 for pads on a $100 used headphone, nah thanks bruh

1a689c4e8f.png

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #1,229 of 4,987
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,230 of 4,987
@caenlenfromOCN here you can find many info about HE-400s modded
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-2015-hifiman-he400s.766529/page-110

brainwavz sheepskin earpads XL doesn't fit on HE-400S with original rings?
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html

I have also HE400s for sale like new, because i prefer others HP, maybe i'd modify it...

it might fit, but I am to cheap to buy the rings. i have the XL sheepskin pads in my desk for like two years almost unused. most headphones are too small for them, with doubled sided tape they fit the 400S perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back