Hifiman Ananda
May 5, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #1,937 of 4,987
Anyone upgraded from Drop HE-4XX to the Ananda? Do you think it is worth it and what improves the most?
Huge leap. You'd go to I thought this was good and this is much better. But, price differences are huge as well. If you are going to spend that kind of money, research many headphones and shop around.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,939 of 4,987
what aftter market cables are people using with the Ananda?

I use one I got from No Hiss Audio and it is a very good cable. I know most people have never heard of them but for $135 I think it's a great cable.

May 5, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,940 of 4,987
what aftter market cables are people using with the Ananda?

Periapt type 8. I've been meaning to write up an in depth comparison on all the cables I've tried, but I never seem to get around to it. I can cut to the chase though and say that the Periapt is the best I've found by a good degree, and at this point I've tried quite a few cables (and created one as well).

The stock cable is decent, in that it sounds better than generic sub $30 cables you will find on the likes of Amazon. It offers great detail retrieval, has a bit of a holographic stage (more on that..), and isn't microphonic. It's got problems though, a few of which are..
  1. Extended decay on every sound. This is subtle, but it overwhelmingly defines the way the cable sounds. Every note trails just a bit longer than it should, which leads to being able to hear details better and a sense of a holographic stage. This sounds fantastic with Jazz or Classical where it adds to the acoustics, but bad for other types of music where everything sounds less coherent than it should be.
  2. Sounds are slightly compressed
  3. While detail retrieval is great, it's mostly a trick of #1 and can be improved with better cables.

May 5, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,941 of 4,987
Anyone upgraded from Drop HE-4XX to the Ananda? Do you think it is worth it and what improves the most?

4XX are fine fun cans. Ananda is much more serious and expensive. I find part of the Ananda treble to be too bright, and I find the mids a bit thin, but if you can afford them and consider yourself serious about music you could do worse. IMO there isn't much in that price range to compete with it, unless you start throwing in used cans. SilverEars is correct, listen to alternates if possible - at the very least it will make you more confident if you still choose them.

May 5, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #1,942 of 4,987
I still have the HE-400i which is pretty much the same as the 4XX and I can tell you the Ananda is a much better headphone overall. They do everything better imo though the mids are more forward on the 400i but they don't have the clarity or detail the Ananda does. Like someone else said if you're going to spend that kind of money you need to do your research and make sure you know what you're getting. I will say the Ananda isn't as warm sounding as the 400 series of headphones and has a brighter treble that some may not like.

May 6, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,943 of 4,987
Thanks for the input, really appreciated!
I will look for a used one which I can test and sell if I don´t like it that much. Also curious on the comfort for me as I have some problems with lots of headphones when listening a bit longer.

May 6, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #1,944 of 4,987
Thanks for the input, really appreciated!
I will look for a used one which I can test and sell if I don´t like it that much. Also curious on the comfort for me as I have some problems with lots of headphones when listening a bit longer.

4XX is more comfy than the average round factor HFM IMO. The Ananda is more so - but I have a big head, I've read some with smaller heads don't like the fit.

May 6, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,945 of 4,987
I have an average size head and the Ananda fits me just fine but you do need to adjust them in just the right way to get the best sound. I used them for about 4 or 5 hours yesterday with a small break here and there with no comfort issues.

The more I listen to them the more I like them because I feel like they have my perfect sound signature. They're balance with a more natural sound but can also have some warmth when called upon. My taste in sound signature has changed over the years from a warm and dark one to a more natural and neutral sound which the Ananda fits perfectly imo.

May 8, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,946 of 4,987
2018, bought a HE560, thought that it fixed the problems with the 400i perfectly. All I listened to for the last 2 years was the 560.
I purchased the Ananda. To me it improves on the sound sig of the 560, but adds a solid low end and a sound stage like I have never heard before. The sound comes from all around me, even up high and down low. Of course there are other differences, but these are the obvious qualities in comparison.
And I might add, I love the upfront mids.
All in all, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. And until the Arya drop below $1k, this is it for me.
I owned HE 400i for year, HE560 for year, and a half year - Ananda.
Still I prefer to listen classical music at HE560. They are noticeably more detailed, brighter and longer at high frequencies. Instruments such as: a triangle, bells, xylophones and other high-frequency percussion, i.e. the feeling that a little clamped high frequencies. When I take my 560 off my head, I have a ringing in my ears, because HE560 is more brighter and more detailed. There is no such things on Ananda, I can listen it for hours. It is indicates the difference in treble.
But, in general, I also like Ananda more than HE560. The rest of the sound range is very well, and much better than HE560.
(I use PC + THX AAA789 and SMSL SP200 THX AAA888) .
Sorry for my English.

May 8, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,947 of 4,987
I owned HE 400i for year, HE560 for year, and a half year - Ananda.
Still I prefer to listen classical music at HE560. They are noticeably more detailed, brighter and longer at high frequencies. Instruments such as: a triangle, bells, xylophones and other high-frequency percussion, i.e. the feeling that a little clamped high frequencies. When I take my 560 off my head, I have a ringing in my ears, because HE560 is more brighter and more detailed. There is no such things on Ananda, I can listen it for hours. It is indicates the difference in treble.
But, in general, I also like Ananda more than HE560. The rest of the sound range is very well, and much better than HE560.
(I use PC + THX AAA789 and SMSL SP200 THX AAA888) .
Sorry for my English.
I found HE560 scratchy type harsh in the mid-treble, but this was with certain sounds in the recordings. I find in general, headphones with hard trextured treble or hard attacks usually provide better metal instrumental tonality, particularly for jazz. I find great Jazz headphones tend to be harsh with other genres. Ananada isn't as bad though.

Which HE560 did you own? The original with coaxial cable connectors?

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,949 of 4,987
4XX is more comfy than the average round factor HFM IMO. The Ananda is more so - but I have a big head, I've read some with smaller heads don't like the fit.
Hifiman reworked the headband. They shortened the strap. However, they shortened it to much. Now it creates pressure on the top of my head. I know this because I bought an open box, had to send it back, paid the extra $100, for a brand new one. Completely reworked headband. They also fixed the sliders so they are tight and smooth and don't creak or squeak anymore.

Edit: At least they are listening to there costumers.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,950 of 4,987
I never had the 560 but almost got a pair a few years ago to upgrade over the 400i that I still have. The Ananda has just about the perfect amount of treble for me but there are some rare occasions that I wish it was a touch brighter but for the most part it's great with plenty of detail.

My favorite part so far has to be the soundstage and separation as it's better than any headphone I have. They are plenty wide with nice depth and height but the separation is really where they stand out over the rest imo. I can hear where every little noise or sound is coming from and I love that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back