Hifiman Ananda
May 12, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,951 of 4,987
How is Ananda compared to Sundara, DT 1990 and T1.2.
I have the DT 1990 but they are aggressive and forward sounding so i'm looking for different headphone. I like open, holographic and distant sound. DT 1990 is like playing inside my head. I like my older DT 770 more. It has more open, distant sound.

I'm actually set on Sundara but i would like to consider Ananda if it's worth it. I was gonna upgrade my dac and amp from SBX AE5 to E30 and Heresy but i guess buying Ananda and keeping the AE5 makes more sense.

May 12, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,953 of 4,987
I don't know about the T1 or DT1990, but I have owned the Sundara and Ananda. The Ananda is a better hp in every way. I believe it it is worth double the cost of Sundara but you might not.
Thank you. My biggest concern is durability and maintenance with them. They look very open and fragile. Is dust and dirt problem with them ?

May 12, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,954 of 4,987
I've only been listening to them for about an hour but I can tell you they sound great with edm and other electronic music. They are very detailed and the bass is better than I expected with more impact than the Sundara and also go deeper imo. The soundstage is also better than the Sundara with more width and depth but best of all is the separation. It's early but I'm loving this headphone so far.

Would you describe the Ananda's bass to be louder and more present than the Sundara? Is it generally the same sound signature?

May 12, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #1,955 of 4,987
Would you describe the Ananda's bass to be louder and more present than the Sundara? Is it generally the same sound signature?
I'm in the process of buying either one of them. So far all reviews, measurements and sound demos indicates that Ananda has significantly more bass, deeper extension. Some people say Ananda has more bass but Sundara hits harder, Ananda is softer.
This sound demo is quite good at showing the differences:

May 12, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #1,956 of 4,987
Thank you. My biggest concern is durability and maintenance with them. They look very open and fragile. Is dust and dirt problem with them ?
The build is actually very good on the Ananda. I wouldn't worry about dust. There is some thin fabric on both sides of the driver's for protection. I like the build a lot. It's a quality hp.

May 12, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,957 of 4,987
The bass goes lower on the Ananda. More rumble down low. It's very impressive.
The Sundara is definitely brighter and not as smooth.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,958 of 4,987
The bass goes lower on the Ananda. More rumble down low. It's very impressive.
The Sundara is definitely brighter and not as smooth.

I think what put me off the Ananda was that it was going to be a smooth sounding headphone, perhaps too similar to my Mr Speakers Aeon Flow..so I needed something brighter with pumping bass. My early experiences with the Sundara suggest that they are not quite what I'm looking for.

May 12, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,959 of 4,987
I think what put me off the Ananda was that it was going to be a smooth sounding headphone, perhaps too similar to my Mr Speakers Aeon Flow..so I needed something brighter with pumping bass. My early experiences with the Sundara suggest that they are not quite what I'm looking for.
If you like the Aeon Flow then the Sundara or Ananda might not be for you. Both have a very upfront midrange. From what I hear the Aeon is kind of dark, v shape signature. But I have not heard it myself.

May 13, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,960 of 4,987
The Ananda and Sundara don't sound like the Aeon really at all. The Aeon is more similar to the LCD-2C as both are on the darker and warmer side of things and the Ananda and Sundara are more balanced and I would say more natural sounding and not as colored. The mids are a bit more forward but I don't think they are a mid forward headphone.

Personally I like to have a few headphones that sound different from one another so I don't get tired of one signature. When I started I was all about warm headphones and IEMs but as time went on I've started to like a bit more treble presence and I think the HD700 is what got me started with that. I feel like the Ananda has the perfect amount of treble presence for me. I had a pair of Beyer DT990s and they were a little to bright for me but the very distant sounding mid-range is what made me really dislike them.

May 13, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,961 of 4,987
@BubbaJay You and I are very much cut from the same cloth! Same kind of tastes, same kind of journey, same approach to headphone ownership!

May 14, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,962 of 4,987
I decided to buy Ananda instead of Sundara but here in europe Sundara price is in line with the official price but Ananda still very expensive. Ananda price is like the bluetooth version's price. It havent drop yet :frowning2: Officially Ananda should be twice the price of Sundara but it's close to 3x price in europe :frowning2:

May 14, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,963 of 4,987
If you like the Aeon Flow then the Sundara or Ananda might not be for you. Both have a very upfront midrange. From what I hear the Aeon is kind of dark, v shape signature. But I have not heard it myself.

The Aeon Flow was like having cotton wool in my ears compared to the Fidelio X2HR which has a brighter tweaked Harman target curve. I like the Open Flows, but not for rock music. Whilst I feel that the Sundara sounds great in the mids and trebles, in needs a few dBs volume in the bass. Essentially I'm looking for a Sundara with bass. I'm not keen on EQ.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,965 of 4,987
I know we've been tossing around all sorts of graphs, but I've not seen Ananda represented like this before. Or any other Hifimans. The way it's represented look like a RAW response or some sort of target intended. These are likely more accurate than the crappy measurements we've been discussing thus far. Because Hifimans usually sound like upper-mids are emphasized.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ifiman-ananda-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203
fr_lr_700h.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back