Hifiman Ananda
Apr 27, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,921 of 4,977
Oh yes we should mention that!
T1 build quality is a hundred times better than the Ananda.
Hifiman can't even touch it.

But not a key point if ones aim is to actually listen.

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,922 of 4,977
I decided to go for the Aryas, after doing a lot of research I think they'll be the better fit for me and I don't want to settle and then wonder what I'm missing.

I'm going to wait though, even open-box for $1200 is a lot (to me) for a pair of headphones and I just can't bring myself to blindly spent it without trying first. After the virus lockdowns are over I'll have the ability to go to a store to audition them, which would help in the decision making.

Still, If I can snag a deal under 1K somehow, I'll probably jump on them as that'll be easier to swallow, but I don't know if that's realistic. Thank you for the advice!

They are holding value very well. I think it might be Fall '20 before you see much of a drop in the used market. To get to the HEX prices changes: $1800, $1200 list, and now $650-750 used, you are going to have to really wait.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,924 of 4,977
What a civilized thread!

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,926 of 4,977
Andrew (Resolve Reviews) did the review of Ananda and compared it to Sundara.

I wish this reviewer would mention his dac/amp, and maybe what music he is listening to. Because I found the Ananda to have much more punch/slam (his words) than the Sundara. Otherwise an ok review.

May 4, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,927 of 4,977
I couldn't wait any longer so I finally got the Ananda and it should be here today hopefully. I love my Sundara and have only had them for a few months and I'm really looking forward to hearing the Ananda and comparing the 2.

May 4, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #1,928 of 4,977
Hi guys,

I'm currently deciding between the Ananda and the Elex. I will be mostly listening to pop/EDM. I'm guessing most people's immediate suggestion would be Elex, for its bass slam, but I actually don't care for bass slam that much - as long as the sub-bass is there. I actually had the TH-900 and I didn't like it that much for EDM - for EDM I prefer a more neutral sound, with lots of detail retrieval.

So which is better on that detail/clarity front? Anyone here find the Ananda suitable for EDM/pop? Or is it mostly a jazz/acoustic headphone due its supposedly "diffused" presentation?

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,929 of 4,977
Hi guys,

I'm currently deciding between the Ananda and the Elex. I will be mostly listening to pop/EDM. I'm guessing most people's immediate suggestion would be Elex, for its bass slam, but I actually don't care for bass slam that much - as long as the sub-bass is there. I actually had the TH-900 and I didn't like it that much for EDM - for EDM I prefer a more neutral sound, with lots of detail retrieval.

So which is better on that detail/clarity front? Anyone here find the Ananda suitable for EDM/pop? Or is it mostly a jazz/acoustic headphone due its supposedly "diffused" presentation?
Comparable to other headphones I would pick the Ananda for EDM/pop over the Ananda for jazz/acoustic 9/10 times. If you found the TH900 too bassy you might not like the Ananda for similar reasons; it is warmer overall but its midbass is still relatively forward which adds to the warmth and bass sense.
Personally, I found the Elear to have inadequate bass, however, that was a short demo a long time ago so extra salt is required.

May 4, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,930 of 4,977
I've only been listening to them for about an hour but I can tell you they sound great with edm and other electronic music. They are very detailed and the bass is better than I expected with more impact than the Sundara and also go deeper imo. The soundstage is also better than the Sundara with more width and depth but best of all is the separation. It's early but I'm loving this headphone so far.

May 4, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,931 of 4,977
Hi guys,

I've used them for everything - certainly for a fair bit of EDM (mainstream, trance, deep house, prog house, techno, DnB) and Pop (Jorja Smith, Janelle Monae, Chvrchs, Maid in Heights, Cigarettes After Sex - I could go on forever). Stunning reproductions across the board, I have zero complaints. As always, if it's engineered or mastered poorly, they will reveal that, but if the music has been produced well, it will sound wonderful on the Anandas. KafKaf from Infected Mushroom is, perhaps, a bit of a "Hotel California" of EDM but it sounds AMAZING on these cans!

May 4, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,932 of 4,977
Well after about 5 hours of listening now I have to say these are a great sounding headphone, probably the best sounding pair I have now. I am using an aftermarket cable which I strongly recommend you get because the ones you get with them are trash. I'm most impressed with the detail retrievel and the separation which is the best of any of my headphones.

Compared to other under $1000 headphones I've listened to the Ananda is the best hands down. Now depending on your preference you might not agree but for what I like these are fantastic and well worth $700.

May 4, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,933 of 4,977
Well after about 5 hours of listening now I have to say these are a great sounding headphone, probably the best sounding pair I have now. I am using an aftermarket cable which I strongly recommend you get because the ones you get with them are trash. I'm most impressed with the detail retrievel and the separation which is the best of any of my headphones.

Compared to other under $1000 headphones I've listened to the Ananda is the best hands down. Now depending on your preference you might not agree but for what I like these are fantastic and well worth $700.

Always great to read about someone enjoying these lovely headphones. I wish you many, many hours of happy listening!!

May 5, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #1,935 of 4,977
Thanks everyone. Seems pretty much unanimous that they're great for electronic music. I'm not completely sure yet ($700 is a lot to spend on a headphone!), but I am definitely that much closer to picking the Ananda. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back