Hifiman Ananda
Apr 25, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,906 of 4,987
I'm torn between the Ananda and the Arya. While the Arya is technically better, it's also double the price. I'm thinking I may prefer the more forward sound signature on the Ananda anyway. Does anyone have any insight or experience with both to say if it would be worth springing for the Arya? Don't want to have buyer's remorse and say I should've just went for the Arya, but on the other hand $1200 (open-box) is a lot to swallow for headphones to me.

I'm using LCD-2F right now and I love their sound, but I just need something more comfortable for extended listening sessions.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,907 of 4,987
I just switched from the AK700 to the DX220,
on the DX, the Ananda drives something great, warmth, bass, I currently really enjoy the Ananda. Put on ..... and enjoy hours. I also listened briefly to the Sundara, top headphones for 350.-. Only Ananda is in a different league for me, subjectively owned.
I also have the dx220 with 1 mk2 amp, so you confirm that ananda is fine with dx220?

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,910 of 4,987
do you recommend ananda su sundara?
Sundara sounds good "For the money". Can't beat it for $350 imo. However, I did not enjoy it with heavy rock/prog/metal. Too bright, harsh too my ears. It's great with acoustic, pop, jazz, ect.
Ananda is just a much better headphone all-around. Sounds great with everything. Some people on this forum say it is too bright. Personally I think it has a lot to do with dac/amp synergy. I do not think it's bright. However, I am coming from an HE 560. Grain of salt.
Why the Sundara sounds brighter than the HE 560 to my ears, I have no idea.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #1,911 of 4,987
I'm torn between the Ananda and the Arya. While the Arya is technically better, it's also double the price. I'm thinking I may prefer the more forward sound signature on the Ananda anyway. Does anyone have any insight or experience with both to say if it would be worth springing for the Arya? Don't want to have buyer's remorse and say I should've just went for the Arya, but on the other hand $1200 (open-box) is a lot to swallow for headphones to me.

I'm using LCD-2F right now and I love their sound, but I just need something more comfortable for extended listening sessions.

It all comes down to what you'll be driving them from. If your source can drive the Arya's well, then everybody who compares the two says that the Arya is superior. But if you have limited driving power, the Ananda is the better choice, unless you're looking to upgrade amps. For me, these had to be mobile (ie not tied to a single desktop amp) so after comparing on my gear, the Arya wasn't suitable.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,912 of 4,987
It all comes down to what you'll be driving them from. If your source can drive the Arya's well, then everybody who compares the two says that the Arya is superior. But if you have limited driving power, the Ananda is the better choice, unless you're looking to upgrade amps. For me, these had to be mobile (ie not tied to a single desktop amp) so after comparing on my gear, the Arya wasn't suitable.

They're 99% of the time going to be used out of a Asgard 3, which should be plenty of power for both I would think.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #1,913 of 4,987
They're 99% of the time going to be used out of a Asgard 3, which should be plenty of power for both I would think.

This post from someone in the Arya thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15137854

I mean, for the money of either of them, I would still suggest a demo if you can. In fact, given the price difference now, I would say it's even more important. On listening, are the Anandas lovely and you don't notice a huge leap with the Aryas, or are the Aryas clearly the better can and you couldn't settle for the little brothers? If you can't demo and you can drop the cash without regret, then by every account, the Aryas are superior and your headphone shopping days are done (for a bit!) Let us know what you decide and how you get on, whichever pair you choose!

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,915 of 4,987
Someone told me the Beyerdynamic T1 2nd had better clarity and resolution than the Ananda? Is this true? Which is better?
I heard the T1 2nd and didn't like it at all. I would easily take Ananda over it because I know I would not use the T1 at all. T1 has more of a congest sound (didn't sound open) with peakiness in various parts of the sound response. It just sound mid treble is emphasized with suppression of the upper-mids like typical Beyer signatures. Ananda is the better headphone overall.

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #1,916 of 4,987
I heard the T1 2nd and didn't like it at all. I would easily take Ananda over it because I know I would not use the T1 at all. T1 has more of a congest sound (didn't sound open) with peakiness in various parts of the sound response. It just sound mid treble is emphasized with suppression of the upper-mids like typical Beyer signatures. Ananda is the better headphone overall.

I'd second that (although of course we are in the realm of subjectivity!). Tried the T1s a few times and they've always been rejected very quickly. The Ananda I loved as soon as I heard it. But many people really rate the T1s, so, as always, demoing is recommended if at all possible...

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #1,917 of 4,987
I will third that!

T1 ii bass is bleeding into midbass which is very colored.
Bass is slow and not well defined as for highs they are overly boosted.
At first listen you may like it but then you slowly realise that detail is very artificial and treble out of tune.
Ananda is miles ahead.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #1,918 of 4,987
I'd also take an Ananda over the T1.

T1 are only worth it in the first generation. I liked them for their soundstage and imaging and they were less wonky back then.
Gen 1 should also be cheaper, however cables are hardwired (and 3m too) so you might not like that kinda stuff today.
Parts and service is outstanding though. Pads are relatively cheap too.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,920 of 4,987
This post from someone in the Arya thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15137854

I mean, for the money of either of them, I would still suggest a demo if you can. In fact, given the price difference now, I would say it's even more important. On listening, are the Anandas lovely and you don't notice a huge leap with the Aryas, or are the Aryas clearly the better can and you couldn't settle for the little brothers? If you can't demo and you can drop the cash without regret, then by every account, the Aryas are superior and your headphone shopping days are done (for a bit!) Let us know what you decide and how you get on, whichever pair you choose!

I decided to go for the Aryas, after doing a lot of research I think they'll be the better fit for me and I don't want to settle and then wonder what I'm missing.

I'm going to wait though, even open-box for $1200 is a lot (to me) for a pair of headphones and I just can't bring myself to blindly spent it without trying first. After the virus lockdowns are over I'll have the ability to go to a store to audition them, which would help in the decision making.

Still, If I can snag a deal under 1K somehow, I'll probably jump on them as that'll be easier to swallow, but I don't know if that's realistic. Thank you for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back