Hifiman Ananda
May 15, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,981 of 4,987
The HE560 I heard had wonky treble and muffled bass. And the build quality, O M G.

Which version? I had a v1 briefly and it was pretty well built (by HFM standards), however heard some stories about v2 and v3 and some v1's too.

May 15, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,982 of 4,987
Do you own a HiFiMan? Have something useful to add, welcome. Otherwise get a few hundred more likes before you start another worthless war, if its not too much trouble.
I think he meant the DT1990 has even worse treble. That typical beyer treble.

Which version? I had a v1 briefly and it was pretty well built (by HFM standards), however heard some stories about v2 and v3 and some v1's too.
That was the v1, before the Adorama versions came out.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,983 of 4,987
Do you own a HiFiMan? Have something useful to add, welcome. Otherwise get a few hundred more likes before you start another worthless war, if its not too much trouble.
DT 770 treble is smooth as butter compared to DT 1990. 770 presents the sound in a more open and relaxed way with a distant and holographic like sound. DT 1990 is like a cannon. It bombards... It gets in your head and rapes your ears. 770 have the treble peak but really frequency measurements can not tell the whole story.

May 15, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,984 of 4,987
I'm planning to buy Ananda this week but EU prices still high. Looking for US websites. Amazon asking ridiculous amount of money for shipping and tax.

How many of you guys ordered from Hifiman ? How is your experience so far ? I guess it only accepts paypal payment ?

I heard Ananda has big soundstage. My biggest priority is ''out of your head'' presentation. Can Ananda do that ? I hate forward and inside your head type of sound. Most people are used to HD6X0 variant Sennheiser headphones and doesn't mind it but it's a big deal for me.

May 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,985 of 4,987
DT 770 treble is smooth as butter compared to DT 1990. 770 presents the sound in a more open and relaxed way with a distant and holographic like sound. DT 1990 is like a cannon. It bombards... It gets in your head and rapes your ears. 770 have the treble peak but really frequency measurements can not tell the whole story.
Yeah, DT770 wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It's possible to get a good version of DT770 with better upper-mids although there are ones a bit recessed.
I saw this (DT1990) and it pissed me off and scared me away that it will cause hearing damage. It looks like a sharp knife that will pierce your ears. But, look at that linear bass for a dynamic! From what I understand Beyers are almost closed to get the bass up.
dt-1990-pro-raw-frequency-response-l-14-graph-small.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,986 of 4,987
I'm planning to buy Ananda this week but EU prices still high. Looking for US websites. Amazon asking ridiculous amount of money for shipping and tax.

How many of you guys ordered from Hifiman ? How is your experience so far ? I guess it only accepts paypal payment ?

I heard Ananda has big soundstage. My biggest priority is ''out of your head'' presentation. Can Ananda do that ? I hate forward and inside your head type of sound. Most people are used to HD6X0 variant Sennheiser headphones and doesn't mind it but it's a big deal for me.
I bought my Ananda and 2 other products directly from Hifiman. Always had good experiences.
The soundstage is quite good with the Ananda, but I wouldn't say it is out of your head.

May 15, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,987 of 4,987
Yeah, DT770 wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It's possible to get a good version of DT770 with better upper-mids although there are ones a bit recessed.
I saw this (DT1990) and it pissed me off and scared me away that it will cause hearing damage. It looks like a sharp knife that will pierce your ears. But, look at that linear bass for a dynamic! From what I understand Beyers are almost closed to get the bass up.
dt-1990-pro-raw-frequency-response-l-14-graph-small.jpg
Yes Beyer's have the bass. Despite being bright they sound pretty thick and fun but you are right it can even cause hearing damage.
I bought my Ananda and 2 other products directly from Hifiman. Always had good experiences.
The soundstage is quite good with the Ananda, but I wouldn't say it is out of your head.
How Fidelio X2HR manage to do that out of your head soundstage though. I don't like that headphone much but soundstage is huge. DT 770 does it as well.

May 15, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,988 of 4,987

I have to admit I don't know the Beyer line all that well, but 25, 15, and 5 years ago it was pretty much the same - etched/fatuous treble bulge. Not interested enough to plow thru that to find the 1-2-3 gems that might have escaped their labs.

May 15, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,989 of 4,987

Put it this way, the Ananda has a wider sound stage than most headphones. It's somewhat closer to the 800S than the HD-600 for sure.

May 15, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,991 of 4,987
I find the Ananda to be one of the best tuned headphones out there with a very natural (not neutral) frequency response.
There are some shortcomings but nothing is perfect , especially headphones!

I might come to that conclusion but not until I put a 6 band parametric on them. Sans EQ, I just cannot not find them natural or neutral in the highs.

diyaudioheaven:

1589566828848.png

That's a honking big rise centered at 8.5 kHz

They even have two different filters to counteract it:

1589567024267.png

Ananda needs a passive or active EQ, so do all 4 of my "reference" headphones, not a sin.

Looking at that chart with an Ananda in my hands, I'd set Toneboosters EQ:

550 Hz -2.5 db Q=1.5 in an attempt the lower the 200-1k area
1800 Hz +3.8 db Q=1.8 in an attempt to fill the gap from 1300-2300 Hz
3k -2 db Q=7.5 very narrow band cut (this could get axed for a sub 50 Hz bass boost if that's more called for)
6k +2 db Q=6, Narrow band add plus to counteract major cut in next settings at the lower range.
8.5k -6.0 db Q=2.5, can't -11db the whole thing, just get it generally down, might need more
17.5k -2 db Q=1.4, there is some fairly active stuff just over 20k, if you pick the midpoint to 15k where there is more you can set the Q broad enough to quiet the whole area.

Guarantee after an hour, I'd have all six settings refined/changed, and after about 10, they'd be pretty good. Given the low list recently. good chance for used Ananda's poking into the low 4's before the year is over.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #1,992 of 4,987
DIY Heaven measurements do not look accurate. I've seen so many from there that didn't make much sense to me. He doesn't use any standardized equipment or ear simulators. I find that circumaural headphones are much sensitive to equipment it's over and the surface of the materials.

Looking at that measurement, it doesn't make sense 1-6k would be recessed like that. We should be able to notice that easily if that was the case.

The problem with these DIY measurements is they can cause false impressions, so we should always question measurements in relations to what we hear.

The measurements I posted earlier made more sense to me over many DIY measurement results I've seen floating around. I always had an impression that Hifimans were female vocal emphasized headphones.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #1,993 of 4,987
DIY Heaven measurements do not look accurate. I've seen so many from there that didn't make much sense to me. He doesn't use any standardized equipment or ear simulators. I find that circumaural headphones are much sensitive to equipment it's over and the surface of the materials.

Looking at that measurement, it doesn't make sense 1-6k would be recessed like that. We should be able to notice that easily if that was the case.

The problem with these DIY measurements is they can cause false impressions, so we should always question measurements in relations to what we hear.

The measurements I posted earlier made more sense to me over many DIY measurement results I've seen floating around. I always had an impression that Hifimans were female vocal emphasized headphones.

I dunno the guy is pretty famous for his passive filters, and he's wise to effect of the concha.

headphones.com:

1589569730914.png

Looks like a big rise centered at about 8.8 kHz (+8). Smaller but potentially nasty issue centered at 3150 Hz.

Home Studio Basics:

1589570165508.png

Big rise at 9k. This one also has a big rise at 3150k too. That dip at 1.5k looks a lot like the HE6SE at 1800 Hz. That rise is very vague IMO over 14k, so this may not be the best measurement we have, but the 9k rise does fall in with the others.

So 3150Hz or 8.5 kHz there are non flat things going on in the treble and they are not under the ref db, but well over it, and it or they need correction if we want these to do their best.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,994 of 4,987
Getting back to the HEX v2, there are not that many graphs, and the one that captures my copy the best is:

1589574202745.png

They need a small boost under 50 Hz (low shelf +3 db set at 80 Hz)
They need 250-900 Hz shelved down (550 Hz Q=.8 -1.8 db)
they need 1750-4.5 kHz shelved up about 2.5 db (2288 +2.9 and 3232 +2.2) Q=2.20
8.4k needs to be cut 4-5 db - -4.8 db 8050 Hz Q=4.20
16k needs to come up about 5 db - very narrow band. (16250 +4.8 db Q=6.65)

12k would be the next place to look at. TB has a 10 band, but it has some limits, I'll be trying it out between BH Crack work.

They used to be late night/early AM/female vocal cans - no more. They sound like a tamer, bit less reolving HEK v2 now. Which isn't bad for $5 for an EQ app.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,995 of 4,987
I don't equalise my headphones , so I think the Ananda are from the better ones out there.
As i wrote previously nothing is perfect but somehow I don't find the bump at 8Khz very bothersome.
I have certainly listen to a lot worse flagships.
What I don't like about the Ananda is that they are very ethereal with lack of body and fast decay times.
Anyway still a good headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back