HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #871 of 1,195
Today has been a disaster. Used Max to convert 400 songs from Apple Lossless to FLAC to transfer to my 602 and forgot that the default setting in Max is delete original files.... arghh

now i am at the airport and can not turn on my 602. I turned it on this morning and the battery was at 75%. Turned it off and put it to charge. Then packed my stuff arrived at the airport to load a bunch of great music on the 602 and can not turn it on. Have tried holding the power button to the right for several seconds, have tried quick clicks of the button... nothing works. And strangely, the unit is hot. Has anyone experienced this? It's almost like the unit is off but the screen is black.....

Is there a way to hard boot it? Or a reset? I noticed a pin size hole near the bottom edge. Any clue if this is a reset?

Any guidance would be appreciated..

Thanks, Student.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #872 of 1,195
Assuming the battery is not fully discharged, you should be able to reset it using a pin.  If it is, that may only work if it's connected to AC-power.

The HM-602 normally runs in a lukewarm state when it's on.  At least mine does.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #874 of 1,195
Warp08

Don't have a pin on me.. but when I land,,, It was 75% this morning and then I shut it off and put it to charge to 'top it off' so.. I should be charged. My fear is that it is on and there is a setting for the screen brightness which is set to low/off. I hope that a reset (with pin) will restore joy....

Thanks, Student.

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #875 of 1,195
How many hours are you guys getting out of this player?

I used it for 2 hours and already 2 bars are gone. Does this mean my player will only last for 4 hours?

Was playing FLAC.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #876 of 1,195
The battery meter on mine is strange, but consistent. Once fully charged, on starting to play music one bar disappears within 5 minutes. It'll then stay on 2 bars for most of the battery cycle. The time it takes to go from 2 bars, to one bar, to empty is so short I usually miss it.

What this means is that pretty much 90% of the time the battery meter is telling me it's about half charged. However, as I said it's consistent, and I'm getting decent battery life, pretty much as advertised, and once you get used to it you'll usually have a good idea how much charge you have left.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #877 of 1,195
Mine acts the same as yours, Im just experimenting at this stage- I transfered about 15 Albums on to the Flash in WAV ( lossless ) and I played at least 7 full Albums and then I put it on charge when it was still on 1 bar.

Not sure how long it takes to do a full charge but seemed to take a long time

Any opinions on a prefered format to play ones music ???

Quote:
The battery meter on mine is strange, but consistent. Once fully charged, on starting to play music one bar disappears within 5 minutes. It'll then stay on 2 bars for most of the battery cycle. The time it takes to go from 2 bars, to one bar, to empty is so short I usually miss it.

What this means is that pretty much 90% of the time the battery meter is telling me it's about half charged. However, as I said it's consistent, and I'm getting decent battery life, pretty much as advertised, and once you get used to it you'll usually have a good idea how much charge you have left.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #878 of 1,195

Quote:
@Fang

After much testing this evening I seem to come to the conclusion that playing SACD through the LO is inferior to the HO.  The output of the LO w/ SACD sources seems to have the FR pushed further up into the higher freqs to my ears.  I'm getting far more sibilance, clipping, leaner sound, less bass, lost resolution or artifacting in about 85%-90% of my SACDs.  I tested SACD LO versus HO amped and unamped, the results are consistent on my unit.  Listening to the LO v. HO w/ regular 16bit yields no such flaws.  To my ears there is something going on w/ the 24bit files thru LO.  Anyone else feel free to let me know if I'm crazy.

Hi,

Not sure if I understand well, but unless you use some Analogical-to-Digital soundcard to capture the DSD tracks of the SACD in 24/96 ou 24/192, your SACD rips are nothing else than a conventional CD rip (16 bits). So, when you are talking about "24bit files thru LO", do you mean real 24bit files or the so-called "SACD rips" ?

If, as I think, your "SACD rips" are in fact the rip of the 16bit CD layer of the SACD (what else ?) then the conclusion is that there can not be any artifact due to "SACD" rips, and that this is all in your head. Maybe this answers your last question
biggrin.gif

I apologize if I misunderstood or missed something.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #879 of 1,195
I finally listened to the HM-602 in the ChiUniFi meet and I must say that it sounded very good with my pair of ER4S headphones. It is almost a match made in heaven. The bass, the mids and the highs were just right. The sound was great and worth the sticker price of $439. On the other hand, the HM-602 paired with the 262's did not sound good at all. I could not listen much (too many headphones, too little time), but from the little I heard, I would certainly recommend the HM-602 for those looking for a great sounding dap.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #880 of 1,195

I own a Amp3 and I always had to load songs outside of folders in the main folder. I did not know or was unable to play songs in folders.
So in the HiFiMan I loaded the songs here into the root folder as well but was only able to randomize the files. Today I found my missing 16 Gig class 6 memory card and transferred all the files into it from my computer in their own original folders.  How do I play random music in the SD card? will I get the same menu in the card as I did in the main or how do I program it to play random files or random folders?

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #881 of 1,195
Quote:
I finally listened to the HM-602 in the ChiUniFi meet and I must say that it sounded very good with my pair of ER4S headphones. It is almost a match made in heaven. The bass, the mids and the highs were just right. The sound was great and worth the sticker price of $439. On the other hand, the HM-602 paired with the 262's did not sound good at all. I could not listen much (too many headphones, too little time), but from the little I heard, I would certainly recommend the HM-602 for those looking for a great sounding dap.

It takes a little effort to bring the full sound out of RE262 before it will really out shine everything else. First, it needs a minimum of 50 hrs or so for the sound to begin to settle down (I'll recommend 75 hrs+). A fresh pair of RE262 tends to be just a bit too thick for the HM602 (though goes excellent with HM801). After burn in however, it will sound just fine (actually, much better than fine) with HM602. Second, foam reposition (which I mentioned on the 262 thread over at IEM forum) also helps a lot on balancing out the overall signature. I can honestly say that my RE262 almost completely outclasses ER4S (which I do agree that it sounds good) on the HM602.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #883 of 1,195
Clieos had a lot more time to put on the gear and settle on it, I'll give a lot more weight to his impressions. A day's impressions aren't always accurate and it's why I never mention my dislike of IEMs like the IE8 and DBA02 which I disliked after spending a couple of hours with them, I feel it's unfair.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #884 of 1,195

Quote:
Clieos had a lot more time to put on the gear and settle on it, I'll give a lot more weight to his impressions. A day's impressions aren't always accurate and it's why I never mention my dislike of IEMs like the IE8 and DBA02 which I disliked after spending a couple of hours with them, I feel it's unfair.

Very true. When I first heard the 262 I was surely disappointed, but after 48hrs of burn in and some more listening, it became my favorite. I made a mistake when I first posted a bad impression on the other thread.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #885 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:
@Fang

After much testing this evening I seem to come to the conclusion that playing SACD through the LO is inferior to the HO.  The output of the LO w/ SACD sources seems to have the FR pushed further up into the higher freqs to my ears.  I'm getting far more sibilance, clipping, leaner sound, less bass, lost resolution or artifacting in about 85%-90% of my SACDs.  I tested SACD LO versus HO amped and unamped, the results are consistent on my unit.  Listening to the LO v. HO w/ regular 16bit yields no such flaws.  To my ears there is something going on w/ the 24bit files thru LO.  Anyone else feel free to let me know if I'm crazy.

Hi,

Not sure if I understand well, but unless you use some Analogical-to-Digital soundcard to capture the DSD tracks of the SACD in 24/96 ou 24/192, your SACD rips are nothing else than a conventional CD rip (16 bits). So, when you are talking about "24bit files thru LO", do you mean real 24bit files or the so-called "SACD rips" ?

If, as I think, your "SACD rips" are in fact the rip of the 16bit CD layer of the SACD (what else ?) then the conclusion is that there can not be any artifact due to "SACD" rips, and that this is all in your head. Maybe this answers your last question
biggrin.gif

I apologize if I misunderstood or missed something.

K, so are you saying you hear no degradation listening to 24 bit files from LO versus HO or is this all theory speak on your part?  My music is a mix of SACD and DVD Audio rips plus 24 bit FLAC downloads like HDTracks.  Two points to help clarify.

1-Every one of my 24 bit files plays flawlessly on my PC

2-The HO of my 602 sounds closer to the signature i get playing from my PC via speakers and noticeably off via LO in comparison.  We are talking thinner, more brittle and harsher highers w/ less low end presence.

Not sure I understand that your understanding of my question is even relevant to the point.  You also seem to be saying my hearing impressions via LO playing 24 bit material is imagined?  Do you even realize what you are saying?  I hope so, because I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back