HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 15, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #901 of 1,195

Quote:

What should I do to get an answer about this point ?...

I appreciate you ignored all my other comments.  I find it funny your complete disregard for my other points only to rehash your agenda I think four times now?  My answer to you is that you don't understand my question.  I fail to see the point of moving on to your concerns prior to getting answers and further impressions.  So as you disregard my concerns I feel inclined to reciprocate.  What you refer to as 'THE' problem is actually three separate issues I mentioned.  Goes to show you have no idea what I'm asking or saying.  I also said I choose not to diagnose further w/o more impressions.  Wholly disregarded by you, AGAIN.  Sorry if my methodology and language is alien to you but I find it difficult to engage in 'serious' conversation w/ people who say my hearing impressions are a figment of my imagination.  Feel free to post the same post you have the last four times as I know you will completely ignore everything I say for the fifth or sixth time.  Afterall, I'm insane listening to music on PC speakers.  What a nut!  
rolleyes.gif
 Once I get some more impressions by a few more people I know that don't imagine their hearing, like myself apparently, maybe then I'll get on to diagnosing my rips if needed at that point.  You know, those rips which all play fine on my PC.  Through speakers.... 

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #902 of 1,195
When people talked about not being able to play their files I thought it won't happen to me until now. My 16/44 normal level ape that is ripped using Exact Audio Copy won't play, when I played them the player would just go back to the main menu(I can play the files using my S9 and my computer or any other player that supports Monkey's Audio). Until now my MP3, Vorbis, WMA, FLAC all played successfully, though I noticed that when playing Vorbis the menu 'animation' was definitely sluggish. I re-ripped all my vorbis encoded files into other format since I thought maybe the decoder was poorly implemented and may drain the battery faster than other codecs. If anyone tested this please prove me wrong, since I prefer Vorbis over other codecs. 

Well this is the only album I ripped in Monkey format so I can't judge if the codec support is bad but I can definitely tell there actually is a lot of room for improvement. The battery lasts for a day, so no complaint there. So far, not bad. I can tell I am happy with it. I'll know that exactly when my FA-003 comes in. 

btw, any suggestions for ape to flac converter? I use LameXP for most occasions but this one looks different.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #903 of 1,195

Quote:

btw, any suggestions for ape to flac converter? I use LameXP for most occasions but this one looks different.

I have used http://xrecode.com/ with success.....it can handle any codec I have come across so far.

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #905 of 1,195
Nov 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #906 of 1,195
HM-601 is $259 plus $10 shipping and another $20 for a 16gb sd card so it turns out to be $290 dollars minus the $100 "FREE" re-zero that it comes with...... the player itself runs $190 after subtracting the free re-zero and adding the shipping and equivalent 16gb sd card (The opamps for this product are not listed which makes me very curious why they are not)
HM-602 is $369 plus $20 shipping its turns out to be $390 minus the "FREE" re262 that comes with the player.......the player itself comes out to a grand total of $190 (It does have the usb dac and supposedly better opamps than the HM-601 but Feng say that you would be hard pressed to hear the difference....... so why not tell anyone whats opamps are used.

So it would appear that the earphones are hidden in the price...this might be true but i do not know for certain. The question is do you the members on here who pre-ordered the HM-602 and suffered  for months still feel like they got a deal.

I personally did not need the DAC but its a nice feature. I think i would have ordered the HM-601 with the RE-Zero if in the event they are close to the sound of the RE-262 (which i have not received yet). I am not sure after giving more thought that i got such a great deal price wise. Its still from what i hear a great product.

What are your thoughts on this?

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #907 of 1,195
I definitely got a great deal as I needed a small and portable DAC. But I agree lots of people would probably get the HM 601 instead if they knew it will get released so soon after HM602 and at a lower price.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #908 of 1,195
Radiohead7

I believe the RE0 & RE-Zero are different headphones.

IMO, the HM601 is priced targeted towards the general population who don't care about which opamp is used or that a DAC comes integrated. Fang is kind of damned if he tells you & damned if he doesn't because he's not necessarily looking for a review of the opamp, but of the overall sound signature of the HM601. Reviews he needs because that's what the normal consumer would understand.

It appears to me Fang is starting to looking to expand his target base beyond those of us that frequent Head-fi & similar forums.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #909 of 1,195
I'm pretty tempted to get a pair of the 601 actually now that it's been announced. I don't need the dac feature and memory can easily be upgraded with a 16gb card which is not very expensive.

Also the RE-Zero and RE262 sound very different. I have both and they have different signatures and are different in quality where the RE262 is a bit better than the RE-Zero.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #910 of 1,195
Well there wouldn't be any issue if Fang would let members know ahead of time he was possibly thinking of release a version without a dac.
Personally, I don't need the dac on the hm-602 but do I regret my purchase no I got a great deal. Actually now the I am considering buying
a netbook for school the dac on the hm-602 paired with a 250gb netbook doesn't sound so bad.

Now if only I could get my hands on a pair of esw10-jpn.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #911 of 1,195
For me the 601 package would only makes sense if I needed a top tier iem like the REZero on top of a quality source.  REZero should have nice synergy w/ the 601 as well.  If all the switched and buttons were black that would sway me as well.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #912 of 1,195
RE262 is supposed to be priced at $249, if that makes anyone feels better about 602 preorder...
Although I like RE262, I won't pay that price for it; I am only lukewarm to 602. (It doesn't sound good until I turn it louder, but I am not a loud listener.) Return or keep...

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #914 of 1,195
I don't think too many 602 owners would have a need for 601. It does appeal to me more since I already have the RE262 and well I also have the RE-Zero and is much cheaper for a similar sound so it might be tempting. I don't have a need for it to be used as a dac. It's a good thing this sale lasts until the end of December so I have plenty of time to see what happens and hopefully more sales :)

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #915 of 1,195

Quote:
RE262 is supposed to be priced at $249, if that makes anyone feels better about 602 preorder...
Although I like RE262, I won't pay that price for it; I am only lukewarm to 602. (It doesn't sound good until I turn it louder, but I am not a loud listener.) Return or keep...

Agree, the sound really comes into its own juiced up.  If you are a low level listener probably not for you.  Though using the 262 in conjunction would be a major cause of that most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back