Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Oct 8, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #466 of 992
Ted's Headphone Lounge Reference Silver Litz is the best I have heard having played with a bunch and the most ergonomic, non-tangling that I have found. Silver made the Hidition's even more transparent and 3D where the Moon Audio Black Dragons copper closed it in with more euphonics and thicker notes - not to mention a thicker unmanageable cable. While this gives me a variety of signatures, I only listen to Ted's silver litz as it is that much better. My other 5 cables I consider junk in comparison. Ergonomically, the litz is light and woven so it doesn't tangle. Better yet, it is the best priced of the bunch so I can afford to create a cable system. The original cable is terminated with an AK 2.5 balanced for my AK100ii and to have the balanced option. I have a 3.5 adaptor for versatility to use SE outs. The 2.5 male/female connection is extremely light, tight, and un-noticeable. I also got a 2.5 to full sized 4pin balanced to use with my full sized balanced desktop. Altogether I paid roughly $250 to $300 for the entire system - about $150 for just the cable - giving me great versatility with the Hidition at low cost. Yes, the Hidition scales that well that it is worth it - IMO beating out the HE1000 and HD800 on the Ygg/Rok stack. However, mine is the 5-way pro version.
regular_smile .gif

http://headphonelounge.com/silver-iem-cables/

~

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #468 of 992

It is crucial to mention what type of Layla is anyone comparing to other CIEMs.
Layla universal is completely different product from Layla custom. Their sound signature is far away from each other (strange, I know).

Layla custom is (to my ears of course) by far the best sounding reference, period.

All mentioned CIEMs like NT-6, UERM are superb high end, well balanced products, and each of them has its strengths, but also some downfalls. This is not the case of Layla customs. I haven't found any comparable product available today, which can produce more accurate and balanced reference sound, than Layla custom. Don't want to sound like hyped person, but after 2 months of careful listening I'm now pretty sure about this statement.

BTW it is very hard for JH Audio to settle those hundreds of complaints of the hi-fi users around the globe, who has no idea what the 'reference sound' really means. :) Tough role I believe, haha.. For example - that 'clarity king' mark for NT-6 is 100% deserved, but it has nothing to do with the reference sound. This is achieved by significant rise of the higher mids (anyone can easily check that in the measurement graphs available), which results in the feeling you hear much more details (as major part of the song is mostly happening in that frequency area). But this is not usable or acceptable for the mastering purposes at all. 

There is clearly a difference, and it is not any boosted affects.  Sure, the NT6 has heavenly mids.  That doesn't mean it's simply boosted, but very coherent in presentation.  If you have compared the two, it should have been pretty apparent.  Put on a well recorded track with good source and compare, it should be pretty obvious.  The definition and clarity is apparent. There will be nuances that is not apparent with UERM, yet with NT6 the presentation is much more defined, hence the sound has more realism. Same goes for Layla albeit I had the universal, there was nothing particularly special about it.  It wasn't highly resolving or any of that sort.  If reference is UERM, something is wrong there.  Based on what I hear, NT6 would be the preferred choice if I were to listen in on tracks as it is indeed much more revealing being a better monitor.

Conclusion: NT6 is technically superior to both the two to my ears.  No need to spend $2500 on a Layla that doesn't perform up to the pricing, and in this hobby, we shouldn't expect pricing to be an indicator of performance. We find what sounds best to us and stick with it until something superior comes around.  Which has not been the case after NT6 for me.  Only various sources has really improved the experience for me.  

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #469 of 992
There is clearly a difference, and it is not any boosted affects.  Sure, the NT6 has heavenly mids.  That doesn't mean it's simply boosted, but very coherent in presentation.  If you have compared the two, it should have been pretty apparent.  Put on a well recorded track with good source and compare, it should be pretty obvious.  The definition and clarity is apparent. There will be nuances that is not apparent with UERM, yet with NT6 the presentation is much more defined, hence the sound has more realism. Same goes for Layla albeit I had the universal, there was nothing particularly special about it.  It wasn't highly resolving or any of that sort.  If reference is UERM, something is wrong there.  Based on what I hear, NT6 would be the preferred choice if I were to listen in on tracks as it is indeed much more revealing being a better monitor.

Conclusion: NT6 is technically superior to both the two to my ears.  No need to spend $2500 on a Layla that doesn't perform up to the pricing, and in this hobby, we shouldn't expect pricing to be an indicator of performance. We find what sounds best to us and stick with it until something superior comes around.  Which has not been the case after NT6 for me.  Only various sources has really improved the experience for me.  

You should give the JH Layla a try. It sounds nothing like the ak Layla. Where the ak Layla had cotton stuffed into the bores, the jh Layla is completely reference quality. Details, clarity and speed stand out yet it is also neutral. I heard the demo jh Layla and if that's an indication of how good it actually is, the custom will be a lot better. That is if you can get past the QC issues there

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #471 of 992
I just received my NT-6 back after a reshell. The fit and isolation is much improved. However, I still have some concerns about the right earpiece. It feels looser in my ear than the left. I only noticed it when I yawned and I felt the right earpiece move but not the left. I then tried moving it around in the ear canal and I can definitely move it around more than the left. I tried the seal test on the Sensaphonics website and couldn’t hear any difference between the left and right.  Am I overreacting or should I send my NT-6 back to Hidition?  I’m assuming the right nozzle just needs to be thickened and I don't need new ear impressions and/or a reshell.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

By the way, apart from this minor issue I am happy with the NT-6.  I went with the “old” tuning and it was definitely the right decision, as the extra bass and treble makes for a lively sound but still with lots of clarity and detail.

You could consult hidition about this. But I'm guessing that the prob iz just that one canal is shorter than the other?

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #472 of 992
It's easier to find some lacker by an audiologist in your town

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #475 of 992
Well, just put in my order for Ted's Headphone Lounge Reference Silver Litz cable.  Thanks for the recommendation Barra.  I have been looking for a new one after messed my linum cable.  Never thought I would ever spend this much on cable but then again I never thought I would buy customs. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #476 of 992
Well, just put in my order for Ted's Headphone Lounge Reference Silver Litz cable.  Thanks for the recommendation Barra.  I have been looking for a new one after messed my linum cable.  Never thought I would ever spend this much on cable but then again I never thought I would buy customs. 

No problem, I'm sure Ted will make you real happy.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #478 of 992
I have to admit my verdict on Hidition is great earphones, but a lot of problems communicating with customers in English. I had a lot of misunderstanding by email until I called and spoke to them in Korean (I cannot write in Korean only basic conversation). I actually spoke to the person I’d been writing to in English and I now think they use a combination of high-school English and Google Translate. If it’s any consolation, lots of Chinese have problems communicating with them as well.

To be honest, I would be inclined to have the reshell done with another company like In Earz.  I know it’s best to have the original manufacturer do the reshell, but I would not have confidence if Hidition are having problems understanding your requirements.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #479 of 992
  Ted's Headphone Lounge Reference Silver Litz is the best I have heard having played with a bunch and the most ergonomic, non-tangling that I have found. Silver made the Hidition's even more transparent and 3D where the Moon Audio Black Dragons copper closed it in with more euphonics and thicker notes - not to mention a thicker unmanageable cable. While this gives me a variety of signatures, I only listen to Ted's silver litz as it is that much better. My other 5 cables I consider junk in comparison. Ergonomically, the litz is light and woven so it doesn't tangle. Better yet, it is the best priced of the bunch so I can afford to create a cable system. The original cable is terminated with an AK 2.5 balanced for my AK100ii and to have the balanced option. I have a 3.5 adaptor for versatility to use SE outs. The 2.5 male/female connection is extremely light, tight, and un-noticeable. I also got a 2.5 to full sized 4pin balanced to use with my full sized balanced desktop. Altogether I paid roughly $250 to $300 for the entire system - about $150 for just the cable - giving me great versatility with the Hidition at low cost. Yes, the Hidition scales that well that it is worth it - IMO beating out the HE1000 and HD800 on the Ygg/Rok stack. However, mine is the 5-way pro version.
regular_smile .gif

http://headphonelounge.com/silver-iem-cables/

~

Thanks Barra for the useful info.

I would probably get one of these cables in the near future.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #480 of 992
Hello, I just wanted to post that I've removed my impressions and comments on the NT6, as I've been diagnosed with a condition affecting my right ear and jaw. Since it turns out that I've had this for a few months, I didn't want to mislead anybody reading this thread with my impressions. Sadly I can't use any in ear monitors until this is resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back