Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Aug 25, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #451 of 992

I've ordered two CIEM's from JHA.  I'm careful to use a bite block to hold my mouth wide open while the cast is firming up.  Some audiologists don't quite understand how important a tight seal is for these CIEMs.  One actually suggested I move my jaw around so the molded piece would feel more comfortable.  I didn't take her advice and the CIEMs were very tight to the point of discomfort, but my ears adjusted over a few days and the fit has been good.  The second CIEM's were an easy fit from the start.  Maybe because my ear canal was already stretched out ?

Hope you can get them fixed up for a better fit . . . !

I did use a bite block for the impressions for my NT-6 and so I'm not sure what went wrong (I actually sent Hidition an open jaw and closed jaw set). The strange thing is the fit feels tight in my ears, but I'm still having the isolation and blockage issues. Thanks for the encouragement, but I have a bad feeling I may have learned an expensive lesson. I just think it's odd that I used the Etymotic ER6 for many years and never had any problems.

I cannot remember where, but Hidition does have written instructions for taking impressions. In their instructions, they ask you not to use a bite block and to have a relaxed jaw as you would have while listening to the CIEMs. Their manufacturing process is probably tuned to this type of an impression which may explain the issues. I believe that they also use this type of guidance due to their unusually deep channels. The open mouth impressions are really only for a singer that typically has their mouth open while wearing the CIEMs.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #454 of 992
  It's been awhile since I've done any detailed analysis.  NT6 is more detailed and much clearer, and tighter sounding. What matters most to me.  There is nothing I have ran accross that is as refined as the NT6. Probably the best investment I've made.  Layla is really not impressive, and there are other iems many times lower priced that can compete with it.  Also, it not being custom fit probably has it's disadvantages when it comes to getting it's full potential.  Just a guess.  12 drivers really means nothing as Layla proves, and price doesn't coincide with higher performance, and Layla is probably the most notable example of that.

After all day of listing to Layla, and switching over to NT6.  Such a noticible difference.  Especially this track(better to listen to the audio file as the audio on this video is crap), which is  my new favorite now.  I love to compare iems with Unplugged.  Love how it the live performance scales with better gear.  

You just saved me $2000 bucks 
biggrin.gif

Weird that after having both the NT6 and NT6pro, I actually love the pro better. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #457 of 992
I discovered that Hidition will no longer do deep fit for their earphones . They said by email it was for "safety" reasons so I spoke to them on the phone (I know some of Korean). The man I spoke to said is because many customers complained about discomfort from deep fit and asked for refit. They would not be persuaded that I am fine with deep fit. The only exception is for customers who visit Hidition office so they can see ear anatomy. I wanted to buy NT6 but have now decided to look elsewhere.

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #458 of 992
Not sure if this is related to malifact issue but I discovered Hidition will no longer do deep fit for their earphones . They said by email it was for "safety" reasons so I spoke to them on the phone (I know some of Korean). The man I spoke to said is because many customers complained about discomfort from deep fit and asked for refit. They would not be persuaded that I am fine with deep fit. The only exception is for customers who visit Hidition office so they can see ear anatomy. I wanted to buy NT6 but have now decided to look elsewhere.

Wow, that is a bummer. While it took some getting used to the musician's fit passed the second bend, I believe that the additional isolation adds a lot of detail to lower level listening which is my preferred method. I'm not sure that I would want it any other way now.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #459 of 992
I thought I should post an update, because Hidition has agreed to do the deep fit for my order.  Here is some advice in case you are ordering from them:

1) Be clear to Hidition the type of fit you want before they start making your order. I used this webpage as a visual reference for them:

http://www.westone.com/west-tones/?p=162

2) Hidition will probably say they do not recommend the long canals, because of pain and discomfort. If you want the long canals, you should tell them you are not worried about long canals. I told them I was used to long canals from triple flange tips and other CIEMs.

3) I also them I had discussed having long canals with my audiologist and he confirmed there was no danger.

So if you want long canals with your Hidition order, you can have it but Hidition will want some reassurance because of previous customer experiences. I hope this helps.

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #460 of 992
Glad to hear that they listened.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #462 of 992
Any recommendations for a cable for the NT6? Preferably something lightweight and suitable for commuting.

I've liked the linum bax for mine. They are super thin and lightweight. They need a case though or at least careful placement in a pocket or they tangle. As far as sound, I didn't notice a significant change but it did seem to tone down the highs a little bit.
I ordered the from cosmicears.com and the price I thought was reasonable. If you don't like them, at least it not a big loss.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #465 of 992

Cables : best audio signal and audio effect crystal piccolino are quite ergonomic. The second more so, but very expensive.

Thanks, any difference in sound?

I've got some PlusSound cables X-8 coming for my CIEM Laylas in a week or two, cost about $850 for their top line + Layla bass module on the cable.  I'll let you know how they sound.  

Everytime I upgrade to a silver headphone cable the SQ is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back