Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Dec 10, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #481 of 992
Hello, I just wanted to post that I've removed my impressions and comments on the NT6, as I've been diagnosed with a condition affecting my right ear and jaw. 

I just hate it when that happens
angry_face.gif
  !!!   

Seriously, good luck getting it fixed  

wink_face.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #482 of 992
Hi all,  I'm a user of Spiral Ear 5way Ultimate but i'm not quite happy with their sound signature so i started to look for something better suited for me. I got interested in these but i would like to know how they perform in therms of tonality balance. Can anybody describe how bright they are in treble or compare to any cans available (more os less similar)? 

Thanks

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #483 of 992
  Hi all,  I'm a user of Spiral Ear 5way Ultimate but i'm not quite happy with their sound signature so i started to look for something better suited for me. I got interested in these but i would like to know how they perform in therms of tonality balance. Can anybody describe how bright they are in treble or compare to any cans available (more os less similar)? 

Thanks

The NT6 is often described as a bright custom earphones. I would describe them as brighter than neutral, but not in an exaggerated or unnatural way. Personally, I find that the extra treble gives the NT6 excellent clarity and detail that makes for a revealing but really pleasant listening experience. It is certainly not I would describe as "bad" treble (as in too sibilant). It has a reference sound, but the slight emphasis in the bass and treble means that there is still musicality. My advice is to read the reviews on head-fi, but I have to say I am very happy with my NT6 and have no desire to buy any other custom earphones at this time.

I’m afraid I don’t know any headphones that have a similar sound to the NT6. The only universal in ear monitors that I have heard that are similar are the Audio Technica CK10 and perhaps the same company’s IM-02.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #484 of 992

Thanks

What is it that you don't quite like on the SE5U and what are you looking to be different?  I haven't heard either discussed but answering this question may help others help you and I'm genuinely curious to the answers, as I've always been interested in both. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #485 of 992

Thanks

Interesting, given the reviews from those Head-Fi'ers that have them all, the SE5 Ref/Ult seem to be the only TOTL CIEM that may be better than my NT6pro. I would have likely chosen the SE5 reference if SE didn't have a US unfriendly stance in shipping/service plus the exorbitant EU taxes. I have been searching for years for a TOTL CIEM to beat or meet my NT6pro performance and have not found one. However, keep in mind that I am comparing a custom to a universal demo.

Can you tell us what you don't like about the ultimate?

I have not heard the non-pro, but my NT6pro is very similar being a close cousin. However, it is endowed with an extra crossover point and better bass. Driven correctly - Ygg/Rok - the NT6pro seems to have the characteristics of the Abyss in exotic territory - yes the bass can be that good. Driven incorrectly - think iPhone - it has more the characteristics of the T1 which is not my favorite headphone. Using my AK100ii stacked with my cheap C&C BH2 amp, it sounds like the HE1000. So yes, it is source dependent and scales up much better than down. The Abyss/HE1K/T1 are all known as very transparent/detailed HPs which is the key character of the NT6pro. The bass and the sound stage is what seems to scale the most as referenced in the T1 to Abyss analogy. If I was going to exclusively scale down to my iPhone, I would probably go K10, but scaling up, the K10 cannot touch the NT6pro for my preferences. I know that this is the pro version and you were asking about the non-pro, but does this help?

I rarely listen to my desktop setup with my HD700 or LCD2.2 as my NT6pro blows them away. Right now, I am considering dumping everything and going all portable or trying tubes with a EC BA or WA22 to help the HD700 and LCD2.2 to see if they can catch up.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #486 of 992

Thanks

I can assume that you didn't like the SE5 ult because you didn't like the overall tone, specially in terms of balance between bass, mid and treble. 

If you are looking for something linear/reference type, with better clarity and more treble sparkle, NT6 is the way to go.

Only two downside for me on NT6,

1. It's is still the brightest CIEM I have ever own, so it is bright, that's for certain. Although the treble is very smoothly presented, for me I still want to take rest from it's brightness time to time, unless the DAC power is there.
2. The bass is not as punchy as SE5 unless you drive it using a very powerful source (desktop ones), IMO an overkill powerful is actually good for NT6. My NT6 + hybrid 8 wire cable on Anedio D2 high gain ( I don't have it any more), it still one of the best sounding system I have ever heard, even better than SE5. But if I drive NT6 on my portable DAC, unfortunately the sound signature will shift to a slightly thinner, brighter, bass light one. This case, I will prefer SE5 ult over the NT6. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #487 of 992
  I can assume that you didn't like the SE5 ult because you didn't like the overall tone, specially in terms of balance between bass, mid and treble. 

If you are looking for something linear/reference type, with better clarity and more treble sparkle, NT6 is the way to go.

Only two downside for me on NT6,

1. It's is still the brightest CIEM I have ever own, so it is bright, that's for certain. Although the treble is very smoothly presented, for me I still want to take rest from it's brightness time to time, unless the DAC power is there.
2. The bass is not as punchy as SE5 unless you drive it using a very powerful source (desktop ones), IMO an overkill powerful is actually good for NT6. My NT6 + hybrid 8 wire cable on Anedio D2 high gain ( I don't have it any more), it still one of the best sounding system I have ever heard, even better than SE5. But if I drive NT6 on my portable DAC, unfortunately the sound signature will shift to a slightly thinner, brighter, bass light one. This case, I will prefer SE5 ult over the NT6. 

I read a lot of reviews of NT6 and other CIEMs out there and put NT6 on first place in my interest list. 

tupac:
Yes, that is exactly what i mean by "not quite happy with their sound sig", i feel i need more clarity and bringing details upfront. 
Don't get me wrong, SE5 Ult is a great CIEM but my preferences motivates me to look for something bit different. I'm using AK240 and DIY plussound pure silver cable which gives more sparkle but i want more:] 

Thank u guys for your words, this really helps especially when it comes to customs where u can't really try them on your own ears before purchase. All of your comments makes me want to buy a pair as   they describe what i'm looking for. I worry a little bit that they will be too thin sounding and i would like to have some bass slam and rumble from SE5 Ult. I know u can't have all and i think this trade would suits me better than trying to change great product (Ults). 

barra: 
Recently i was able to try lot of top class cans on audioshow like HD800, HE1000, TH900, LCD 2, 3 and the newest LCD 4, all the STAX line. They were driven by different desktop amps/dacs which i cannot mix. My impressions were that HE1000 were too light in their sound and i felt in love with Stax SR009 (and other Stax headphones too), I could listen to them all day long. 

tupac0306 - how do U compare NT6 to H8p? I heard H8p in CustomArts headquarter so i have another CIEM to compare. 

Cheers!

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #488 of 992
  I read a lot of reviews of NT6 and other CIEMs out there and put NT6 on first place in my interest list. 

tupac:
Yes, that is exactly what i mean by "not quite happy with their sound sig", i feel i need more clarity and bringing details upfront. 
Don't get me wrong, SE5 Ult is a great CIEM but my preferences motivates me to look for something bit different. I'm using AK240 and DIY plussound pure silver cable which gives more sparkle but i want more:] 

Thank u guys for your words, this really helps especially when it comes to customs where u can't really try them on your own ears before purchase. All of your comments makes me want to buy a pair as   they describe what i'm looking for. I worry a little bit that they will be too thin sounding and i would like to have some bass slam and rumble from SE5 Ult. I know u can't have all and i think this trade would suits me better than trying to change great product (Ults). 

barra: 
Recently i was able to try lot of top class cans on audioshow like HD800, HE1000, TH900, LCD 2, 3 and the newest LCD 4, all the STAX line. They were driven by different desktop amps/dacs which i cannot mix. My impressions were that HE1000 were too light in their sound and i felt in love with Stax SR009 (and other Stax headphones too), I could listen to them all day long. 

tupac0306 - how do U compare NT6 to H8p? I heard H8p in CustomArts headquarter so i have another CIEM to compare. 

Cheers!

NT6 doesn't sound thin at all, so you don't have to worry about it. It actually sounds very full and emotional with great thickness and density. It's just bright, but not thin type.

H8p is more V shape compared to SE5 ult or NT6. It has great bass texture, the presence is similar to SE5 ult. It is another warm CIEMs for me with great amount of clarity and sparkle. But it can sound sharp/less transparent for some songs compare to NT6.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #489 of 992
I concur the NT6 doesn't sound thin. That was one of my worries before purchasing it. I think sometimes people associate bright with thin like I did, but it's not always the case. The Harmony 8 Pro is a great CIEM, but based on your posts, I think the NT6 would suit you better.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #490 of 992
I made the jump and ordered a NT-6 Pro about 2 weeks ago. I just emailed Hidition 2 days ago and they mentioned that they are done with assembling my NT-6, which is really fast! I hope they've been shipped out, or will ship out soon, since I'd like to receive it before the year end. I'll see how it compares to my V6 Stage when it arrives. One characteristic of the NT-6 Pro that made me pull the trigger was its bass quality - fast, clean, not overpowering and the subbass rumble! I was expecting it to sound thin, close to the ER4S, but I was wrong. It sounds full, just with slightly emphasised treble. Hopefully the customs will sound as good as, or even better, than the universal demos on my AK100ii :)

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #491 of 992
  NT6 doesn't sound thin at all, so you don't have to worry about it. It actually sounds very full and emotional with great thickness and density. It's just bright, but not thin type.

H8p is more V shape compared to SE5 ult or NT6. It has great bass texture, the presence is similar to SE5 ult. It is another warm CIEMs for me with great amount of clarity and sparkle. But it can sound sharp/less transparent for some songs compare to NT6.

Ok tupac, i have to admit u're making me want NT6 more and more. That is what i'm looking for, great technically CIEM that is bright but not thin, with great sparkle and good spatial qualities. I like brightness cause it's gives me life like feeling. 

I remember H8pro as pretty sharp sometimes so haven't felt in love and i hope NT6 won't be like that. 

Thanks for all your help, i appreciate it.

Merry Christmas by the way!;] 

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #492 of 992
Ok tupac, i have to admit u're making me want NT6 more and more. That is what i'm looking for, great technically CIEM that is bright but not thin, with great sparkle and good spatial qualities. I like brightness cause it's gives me life like feeling. 

I remember H8pro as pretty sharp sometimes so haven't felt in love and i hope NT6 won't be like that. 

Thanks for all your help, i appreciate it.

Merry Christmas by the way!;] 

No problem, hope you don't find nt6 disappointing~ :)

Merry Xmas to you too

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #493 of 992
tupac, i don't think i've asked you this in the solar thread, but how would you compare the nt6 with the solar?  they have a pretty similar signature right?

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #494 of 992
  tupac, i don't think i've asked you this in the solar thread, but how would you compare the nt6 with the solar?  they have a pretty similar signature right?

i asked Tupac the same question with pm 2-3 days ago and he was very helpful - here is his answer in pure copy/paste form

NT6 needs a very powerful top end desktop DAC to make it sound good. Solar is on the other hand a lot easier to drive.

In terms of sound signature, you probably know already. NT6 is more linear, more neutral with amazing clarity. Solar is fun, slightly V shape with great treble sparkle and a lot more bass impact. 

At the moment, I love solar more than NT6. But if I listen to NT6 with 8wire cable on a desktop system, I doubt anything will top it. it really scales up with better sources.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back