Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Apr 18, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #1,861 of 1,929
Well, I've just ordered this charger, it will arrive tomorrow. This one is 27W whereas the one I'm currently using is 45W.
I've ordered it mainly because I don't want to use my 45W smartphone's charger with the DAP, not because I'm fixated to set a Max Battery level.
Let's hope that the DAP will function properly with this new charger.
I found on a few occasions before that if I used any fast charger the r6p2 just got really hot to the point that I suspect from overheating it crashed and this happened a few times, I was on med gain with class A using 4.4mm. Since then I intentionally use an older 10W charger to protect the battery and never had the same problem again ... Maybe its just my unit but it didn't seem to like anything higher than 18w charger...

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #1,865 of 1,929
I think I found the reason, it's because of the plugin DRX10K , it produces a bit of gain clipping in certain settings... I turned it off and it's not as harsh...
that's why the default gain of the plugin is set low. But also if treble dynamics is set to positive, it will obviously increase treble, both in amount and in dynamics...

...the calculation methods behind MSEB and the new PEQ are the same. It would be most convenient to use PEQ to dial in corrections for the earphones themselves then MSEB for program EQ / tuning of individual tracks... then DRX10K for any desired dynamics enhancement. But for the latter, if you complain of harsh treble, definitely look into a treble dynamics setting of 0 or even negative... You do know you can tap on the name of the plugin to bring up detailed settings instead of just turning it on and off yea?

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #1,867 of 1,929
Tangzu x HBB Zetian Wu HeyDay Edition:
Band/Q-Factor/Gain/Type
30Hz/0.5/+2.5dB/Low Shelf
80Hz */1.2/+1.25dB/Peaking
600Hz/0.5/+1dB/Peaking
4500Hz/3.5/-2dB/Peaking
7800Hz/2.5/-2dB/Peaking
11KHz/4.5/+2dB/Peaking
13KHz/5/-2dB/Peaking
16KHz/5/+2dB/Peaking

* the one at 80Hz is a personal preference because I like more punch on drums. The rest is to try and bend the IEMs closer to Crinacle’s target curve

-Ed

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,868 of 1,929
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #1,869 of 1,929
I had seen elsewhere it being reported that the charge limiting feature may work or fail depending on the charger being used. You may find a smaller charger with lesser output voltage / wattage capabilities to more likly work / not "punch through" the "stop" signalling.

Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance regarding your choice of charger. That the charge limiting feature may work or not work depending on the charger was itself news to the team.

I have received my new charger today and the same issue happens. The 85 Max battery limit I have set is not respected. I did everything by the book, specifically, I have set the limit to 85, restarted the device, went back to check if 85 is set, it was set, so I've plugged it in, starting from 20%. After a couple of hours when I returned it was already at 88% and still charging.

I do not care about this setting any more, however @Joe Bloggs can you please ask from your Engineers/Developers to check this out and let us know IF a solution can be provided? I am sure there are people who would appreciate this.

Thank you

Attachments

• B.jpg
    B.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #1,870 of 1,929
that's why the default gain of the plugin is set low. But also if treble dynamics is set to positive, it will obviously increase treble, both in amount and in dynamics...

...the calculation methods behind MSEB and the new PEQ are the same. It would be most convenient to use PEQ to dial in corrections for the earphones themselves then MSEB for program EQ / tuning of individual tracks... then DRX10K for any desired dynamics enhancement. But for the latter, if you complain of harsh treble, definitely look into a treble dynamics setting of 0 or even negative... You do know you can tap on the name of the plugin to bring up detailed settings instead of just turning it on and off yea?
Yes I know, but actually I tried to just have DRX10K on with all the bass/mids/treble at 0db but with overall gain increased to about 4.4db, the plugin whilst give a more distinct dynamic separations (like more contrast) it has a strange almost like phase mismatch somehow or maybe like a phase echo if that make sense and it then sounds like the gain is too high and clips, and whilst it does clip it's not the treble that's clipping but rather the mids that's getting clipped and broken. Whilst I like the effect this on both speakers (using line out) and iems it is noticeble enough that translates to a harsh or maybe grainy sound, when it's off, it's cleaner, though I realized the r6p2 still sounds a bit hot imo compared to my N7 and V6...

Just a side note Joe, I don't know why but now usually 8/10 times when I turned off the player and turn it back on it doesn't work and I have to use the power hold + volume to turn it back on, is this like a bug?

Thanks

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #1,871 of 1,929
Yes I know, but actually I tried to just have DRX10K on with all the bass/mids/treble at 0db but with overall gain increased to about 4.4db, the plugin whilst give a more distinct dynamic separations (like more contrast) it has a strange almost like phase mismatch somehow or maybe like a phase echo if that make sense and it then sounds like the gain is too high and clips, and whilst it does clip it's not the treble that's clipping but rather the mids that's getting clipped and broken. Whilst I like the effect this on both speakers (using line out) and iems it is noticeble enough that translates to a harsh or maybe grainy sound, when it's off, it's cleaner, though I realized the r6p2 still sounds a bit hot imo compared to my N7 and V6...

Just a side note Joe, I don't know why but now usually 8/10 times when I turned off the player and turn it back on it doesn't work and I have to use the power hold + volume to turn it back on, is this like a bug?

Thanks
Having to hold the power & volume buttons that is not normal. :slight_frown:

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #1,872 of 1,929

Thanks
If you turn bass mids and treble to 0 but increase the gain you are simply boosting the signal digitally without any processing and having it hit the output limiter...

I would much recommend doing the opposite and setting gain to negative and set bass, mids and treble to something other than 0 for effect. Hey, turn them all to the same (non-zero) number as you want, that way you are still getting a dynamic change effect...

Can you elaborate on the last point, how is it not working, what appears / doesn't appear?

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #1,873 of 1,929
20240414_190126.jpg

0617df3893a19f56a1ba093f990542c7.jpg

I'm starting to compare R6 Pro 2 (r6p2) and Cayin N6 II R01 / Titanium (n6ii) and try to answer the question: "is there a point in r-2r" to unlock the potential of multi-driver BAs or is only delta sigma "at the top of the list"?

IEM: Snowy Prism, TRI Clarion / Baroque, Litz + Van der hul hybrid cable, balanced 4.4 output.

Hiby R6 Pro 2: Class A gain mode, High gain, Low dispersion short delay filter.

Cayin N6 ii Titanium: High gain, Slow roll off filter.

Low frequencies

The r6p2 has pumped up bass frequencies. The output is enveloping with good resolution. And the slower the music, the better the control and body. The faster the music, the less control and body. This feature is especially audible in Steve Roach's "Trance Spirits" album, where the music consists of fast and rhythmic drum beats.

In the n6ii, the bass is superb without compromise. Where you need lushness there is lushness, where you need whiplash there is whiplash. The attack is unprecedented in its speed, to my taste. More corporeal than fc6 multibit, more technical than e1da. The attacks are very fast, the hits are tangible and full-bodied. Although I am a fan of the soft low frequencies of the r6p2, I find the low frequencies of the n6ii very "tasty".

Midrange

In r6p2 the midrange is transparent and detailed, playing close, no deafness. Vocals and instruments are perceived as they should be, maturely, in large images.

In n6ii the midrange is even more transparent and detailed, but it is smoother and smoother. And at the same time they are pushed to the background, which gives the effect of "scaled down images". Unusual, but it's a matter of taste.

High midrange frequencies

The r6p2 features Hiby's signature "trick" - a smoothed range of sibilants, whistles and other "digital dirt". Both on the fc6 and on the r6p2. Comfort without sacrificing clarity of sound. The result is quite comfortable and buzzworthy over long listening distances.

In n6ii the Cayin's trademark "trick" is traced - a slight emphasis on the range of sibilants. But, if in ru6 it was noticeable for me, in n6ii this slight accent does not give even a hint of sawing and dirt, but does what is necessary - improves the overall clarity of sound. The sound becomes more energetic and emotional than in r6p2, without compromising the health of sensitive audiophile ears.

High frequencies

In the r6p2 the treble is big, detailed and I would even say refined. Whatever you want to call it, that's what the r6p2 is all about. You get an audiophile story for classical and any other complex instrumental music. My honor.

The n6ii has less treble, it's smoother and quieter. And while the n6ii's specialty is super credible bass, treble is no longer the n6ii's specialty. High frequencies are detailed, but there is no airiness of filigree, which is present in r6p2.

Scene

In n6p2 the scene is medium in depth and outstanding in width. I'll also note the good separation of the plans. Scene designed for scale and wow effect. Sound source positioning is excellent.

In the n6ii the stage digs deep and doesn't really stretch wide. The multibit feature of dividing (or rather NOT dividing) the scene into near and far has not gone anywhere and everything plays not so halogrophically, but more cohesively. There is no wow effect, it's just as if "that's the way it should be". At the same time the separation of sound sources is excellent, all instruments / voices / special effects are in their place.

Resolution

Everything is great on the r6p2, especially the treble. I got high in the first days of listening, and I'm getting high now. The only thing is that pumping up the low frequencies in the mid-bass area without additional percussion somewhat limits the list of genres where the r6p2 can show the highest class. For example, fast drum beats can be blurred.

The n6ii is another matter. In n6ii the resolution at mid frequencies and even more so at low frequencies is higher than in r6p2. But at high frequencies there is not the same pleasure as in r6p2.

General impressions

I still prefer the combination of Snowy Prism multi-driver IEMs and n6ii, because I once had "manna from heaven" with a Cayin ru6 multibit. I stupidly like the concept of multibit feed (especially Cayin's), which is very coolly delivered even by BA iem multidrivers. In this bundle, the "soulless BA" comes alive, flutters and pulsates. That's all.

And the r6p2 sounds more correct, more audiophile at midrange and treble. It comes out musical in the bass and in the scene + audiophilic in the mids, treble and plan separation. Versatile is a cool sound to me.

Thanks for your attention!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #1,875 of 1,929
If you turn bass mids and treble to 0 but increase the gain you are simply boosting the signal digitally without any processing and having it hit the output limiter...

I would much recommend doing the opposite and setting gain to negative and set bass, mids and treble to something other than 0 for effect. Hey, turn them all to the same (non-zero) number as you want, that way you are still getting a dynamic change effect...

Can you elaborate on the last point, how is it not working, what appears / doesn't appear?
Hi Joe,
Thanks for your reply, I tried your suggestion with the DRx10X plugin in different settings with gain set to negative and bass/mids/treble at different values that doesn't pass 0 (e.g. Gain = -1db , bass -0.7db, md -0.3db, treble -0.7db) it still produces the same kind of gain clipping effect to me somehow, ... I gave up at some point..

As for the last point, it simply that often, especially after I turn off the unit and remove the micro SD to put in new songs and when I put in the SD card back and then try to turn it back on, it simply won't, and I have to use the combined Volume and Power hold at the same time for 12 secs for the device to turn on. This happens a lot like I said 8 out of 10 times and I don't believe it is normal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back