autoEQ via Squig.link for supported earphones on HiBy R Android players
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
1. Supported models
This is rolling out to all recent Android-based HiBy R branded devices through firmware updates now or in the near future. Check for the PEQ option in your Audio Settings after updating to the latest firmware.

2. How it works
Using the Equalizer tab and then the autoEQ option on squig.link, you can equalize earphones (that have been measured and uploaded to squig.link) to various "reviewer targets" or "reference targets" automatically using the autoEQ function. These EQ presets are supported on [supported models] using their new systemwide PEQ function.

3. How-to
a. go to squig.link and find the response curve for your earphones.
b. select the reference target or reviewer target to be overlaid in dotted lines. This will be the target autoEQ will attempt to convert to.
c. click Equalizer
1711882981881.png

d. Under "Parametric Equalizer open the "Choose EQ model" dropdown box to select your earphones on display.
1711883079007.png

e. Press "AutoEQ". AutoEQ will take a few seconds to run and calculate a set of parametric EQs for your earphones based on the target given.
1711883411257.png

f. Review the calculated EQ and make any changes to taste :)
1711883635358.png

g. Press the Export button (not the Export Graphic EQ button below) to export a text file containing the above settings.

h. Copy the resulting file to your HiBy R Android device. Or, if you did all of the above directly on a browser on your Hiby, you may skip this step :) --just note down the name of the text file generated.

i. On your HiBy R Android device, fire up PEQ inside Audio Settings. Press Import and select the file saved from the previous step using the file browser.

Enjoy :)

Notes:

1. HiBy Music makes no claims as to the merits of using autoEQ or indeed any parametric EQ vs not using them. That is for the user to explore and decide.
2. The curve displayed on the HiBy PEQ interface will be of the parametric EQs themselves, not the resulting FR curve which is the original FR curve modified by the PEQ. As such the curve may look unfamiliar, this is normal.
3. By default these generated presets will be such that the preamp setting puts the whole EQ curve under 0dB ("EQ-down-not-up" rule). For comparison purposes (between EQ on and off) you may consider moving the pre-amp up to a volume comparable with the direct output, however this might cause clipping in some situations.
4. If you don't see the Import button on the PEQ page, your font size may be set too large and the button may have gone offscreen 😅 you can rotate the screen or reduce the screen size for now. We are working on a fix for this.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 3
1. Supported models
This is rolling out to all recent Android-based HiBy R branded devices through firmware updates now or in the near future. Check for the PEQ option in your Audio Settings after updating to the latest firmware.

2. How it works
Using the Equalizer tab and then the autoEQ option on squig.link, you can equalize earphones (that have been measured and uploaded to squig.link) to various "reviewer targets" or "reference targets" automatically using the autoEQ function. These EQ presets are supported on [supported models] using their new systemwide PEQ function.

3. How-to
a. go to squig.link and find the response curve for your earphones.
b. select the reference target or reviewer target to be overlaid in dotted lines. This will be the target autoEQ will attempt to convert to.
c. click Equalizer
1711882981881.png

d. Under "Parametric Equalizer open the "Choose EQ model" dropdown box to select your earphones on display.
1711883079007.png

e. Press "AutoEQ". AutoEQ will take a few seconds to run and calculate a set of parametric EQs for your earphones based on the target given.
1711883411257.png

f. Review the calculated EQ and make any changes to taste :)
1711883635358.png

g. Press the Export button (not the Export Graphic EQ button below) to export a text file containing the above settings.

h. Copy the resulting file to your HiBy R Android device. Or, if you did all of the above directly on a browser on your Hiby, you may skip this step :) --just note down the name of the text file generated.

i. On your HiBy R Android device, fire up PEQ inside Audio Settings. Press Import and select the file saved from the previous step using the file browser.

Enjoy :)

Notes:

1. HiBy Music makes no claims as to the merits of using autoEQ or indeed any parametric EQ vs not using them. That is for the user to explore and decide.
2. The curve displayed on the HiBy PEQ interface will be of the parametric EQs themselves, not the resulting FR curve which is the original FR curve modified by the PEQ. As such the curve may look unfamiliar, this is normal.
3. By default these generated presets will be such that the preamp setting puts the whole EQ curve under 0dB ("EQ-down-not-up" rule). For comparison purposes (between EQ on and off) you may consider moving the pre-amp up to a volume comparable with the direct output, however this might cause clipping in some situations.
4. If you don't see the Import button on the PEQ page, your font size may be set too large and the button may have gone offscreen 😅 you can rotate the screen or reduce the screen size for now. We are working on a fix for this.
Hey Joe, how many PEQ profiles can these DAPs keep at once? I'm thinking that these DAPs can be a useful tool to test some FR targets that I'm experimenting with the comfort of a DAP rather than being tied to my PC.

Fun thought: bringing PEQ to Hiby OS DAPs. I mean the MSEB is already on those devices.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 3
Hey Joe, how many PEQ profiles can these DAPs keep at once? I'm thinking that these DAPs can be a useful tool to test some FR targets that I'm experimenting with the comfort of a DAP rather than being tied to my PC.
It can save named presets and I'm not aware of any practical number limit :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back