Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Mar 31, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #1,666 of 2,044
Hi all. I just received my r6 pro ii today and encountered a problem the first time I turned it on. There is no way I can scan the memory card through the native application (hiby misic). I've been waiting for a very long time, but there were 0 tracks left. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Are your folders in the root or under a folder such as 'music'? IIRC it needs to be the latter.

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,667 of 2,044
Allow me to pull a post of mine from the past and modify it for this: (so please ignore any accidental references to past models etc. :wink: )
Thank you @Joe Bloggs. This post is wonderful and an example of why I wish we were able to save "favorite" posts to be able to refer to later!

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #1,669 of 2,044
Seconded. The % display is unreadable to my old eyes.

It's not your eyes. That icon is disproportionally small compared to the 5.9’’ 1080 x 2160 screen and the font, indicating the percentage, is super tiny and unreadable, so for the third time I will ask @Joe Bloggs is this something that could be changed in the next firmware update, please???

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #1,670 of 2,044
It's not your eyes. That icon is disproportionally small compared to the 5.9’’ 1080 x 2160 screen and the font, indicating the percentage, is super tiny and unreadable, so for the third time I will ask @Joe Bloggs is this something that could be changed in the next firmware update, please???
I have forwarded the request to the ones responsible for this one...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,672 of 2,044
Thinking about these button placements a bit more I don’t feel they’re very intuitive. Of course it’s subjective but I’ll give my reasons why and I’m curious if people agree would with this. Sorry if I’m boring people with this subject but I find things like this interesting and I’ll shut up about it after this if no one cares 😂

Anyway…

The only reason to have the skip forward button facing downwards is to follow the direction of the track list visually, top to bottom. But I have 3 good reasons why skip forward should be facing upwards.
  1. This is always the direction of the volume on literally every device with a side volume control. Up is + and down is - so it’s reasonable to think the track skip direction should be the same. This is how Sony does it and I don’t see a good reason to go the other direction.
  2. When using the device while looking at the screen I’m more inclined to use the touch screen to change tracks, not the physical buttons. The buttons are there mainly if i want to use the device blind, like laying in bed at night or when in your pocket etc. This is the main reason I use a dap in the first place, for blind operation with physical buttons. Usually if I use the buttons while looking at the screen it’s to change tracks or volume while doing something in another menu where the change track buttons aren’t displayed on screen.
  3. Another small reason might be good for when the volume wheel is placed on top of the device like the R6 III. When you skip to the next track the first thing people might do is adjust the volume for a specific track as needed. Like playing random tracks the very next track might be very loud compared to the previous track. So if the skip forward was a couple of buttons closer to the volume wheel it would be less movement to make when using the device single handed. Just slightly easier.
Not really part of it but also relative to the discussion is the positioning of the volume buttons. I feel they should be on the left side of the device if you’re right handed, which is who most things are designed for right handed people.
  • If using the device while looking at the screen it will be held in my left hand because I use my right hand to navigate the touch screen. On most music apps the main central control in the middle of the screen is for the skip/pause tracks. The volume is usually somewhere further away on the screen (depending on what app you’re using of course). So it makes sense to have the volume buttons on the left side because your left hand thumb is already resting in that exact spot, the left side of the device. So you have easier access to both track skip and volume simultaneously as opposed to easier access to two lots of skip track and play/pause. This is where volume is located on most phones for a similar reason. It’s there so righties can access the volume easily while holding the device normally. And it can be important to have quick access to the volume as you could be at risk of a sudden loud noise from the next track that could damage your hearing.

• Then on the other side of things (pun intended) if I’m using the player sitting beside me on a couch or in bed etc, (like when I want to navigate single handed) then it will be held in my right hand. The device would be laying flat with screen facing up with my hand over the top of the device, and using my right thumb as the volume control and index finger for track skip/play/pause. Not sure if this is common but I just feel like my thumb is the best suited for volume control for no particular reason other than it just feels more correct.
I’m not sure if any daps have this exact layout but I feel this would be perfect and the most intuitive, for me at least haha.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #1,673 of 2,044
Thinking about these button placements a bit more I don’t feel they’re very intuitive. Of course it’s subjective but I’ll give my reasons why and I’m curious if people agree would with this. Sorry if I’m boring people with this subject but I find things like this interesting and I’ll shut up about it after this if no one cares 😂

Anyway…

The only reason to have the skip forward button facing downwards is to follow the direction of the track list visually, top to bottom. But I have 3 good reasons why skip forward should be facing upwards.
  1. This is always the direction of the volume on literally every device with a side volume control. Up is + and down is - so it’s reasonable to think the track skip direction should be the same. This is how Sony does it and I don’t see a good reason to go the other direction.
  2. When using the device while looking at the screen I’m more inclined to use the touch screen to change tracks, not the physical buttons. The buttons are there mainly if i want to use the device blind, like laying in bed at night or when in your pocket etc. This is the main reason I use a dap in the first place, for blind operation with physical buttons. Usually if I use the buttons while looking at the screen it’s to change tracks or volume while doing something in another menu where the change track buttons aren’t displayed on screen.
  3. Another small reason might be good for when the volume wheel is placed on top of the device like the R6 III. When you skip to the next track the first thing people might do is adjust the volume for a specific track as needed. Like playing random tracks the very next track might be very loud compared to the previous track. So if the skip forward was a couple of buttons closer to the volume wheel it would be less movement to make when using the device single handed. Just slightly easier.
Not really part of it but also relative to the discussion is the positioning of the volume buttons. I feel they should be on the left side of the device if you’re right handed, which is who most things are designed for right handed people.
  • If using the device while looking at the screen it will be held in my left hand because I use my right hand to navigate the touch screen. On most music apps the main central control in the middle of the screen is for the skip/pause tracks. The volume is usually somewhere further away on the screen (depending on what app you’re using of course). So it makes sense to have the volume buttons on the left side because your left hand thumb is already resting in that exact spot, the left side of the device. So you have easier access to both track skip and volume simultaneously as opposed to easier access to two lots of skip track and play/pause. This is where volume is located on most phones for a similar reason. It’s there so righties can access the volume easily while holding the device normally. And it can be important to have quick access to the volume as you could be at risk of a sudden loud noise from the next track that could damage your hearing.

• Then on the other side of things (pun intended) if I’m using the player sitting beside me on a couch or in bed etc, (like when I want to navigate single handed) then it will be held in my right hand. The device would be laying flat with screen facing up with my hand over the top of the device, and using my right thumb as the volume control and index finger for track skip/play/pause. Not sure if this is common but I just feel like my thumb is the best suited for volume control for no particular reason other than it just feels more correct.
I’m not sure if any daps have this exact layout but I feel this would be perfect and the most intuitive, for me at least haha.
Don't worry, I think you have to be a bit OCD to get this far in this hobby. :)

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #1,674 of 2,044
I think the volume button on these devices can be a bit of a niusance, probably a knob like some other players have would be more suitable for myself.
Have eliminated this problem as I am connected to an amp with a nice big knob, this was not the reason for buying an amp however it is one reason I shall be keeping the amp as I find this very convenient with the huge fluctuations in volumes between tracks.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #1,675 of 2,044
Gentlemen!

I realize the question may seem silly, but still....

What is the purpose of "Fixed SampleRate" plugin? My naive mind tells me that the higher the sample rate, the better the sound quality. And the player itself starts to warm up much more. But if you look at it from the point of view of engineering and software.... What is that?

And the second question, from the realm of fantasy.... Is it possible to adjust harmonic levels on AK4499EX (second order), as it is realized in players with Darwin architecture?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #1,676 of 2,044
Gentlemen!

I realize the question may seem silly, but still....

What is the purpose of Fixed SampleRate plugin?

My naive mind tells me that the higher the sample rate, the better the sound quality. And the player itself starts to warm up much more. But if you look at it from the point of view of engineering and software.... What is that?

Thanks in advance for the answers!
Strictly speaking any DSP/upsampling/downsampling degrades the sound. I've tried a few and while they may sound more pleasing on some iems i prefer not to use them altogether.

Notable examples I've tried
Sony:
DSEE-HX/Extreme/Ultimate - DSP that boosts the higher frequencies, not always favourably
DSD Remastering engine - no real audible difference
Vinyl Processor - adds vinyl noise and blunts the sound
DC phase lineariser - makes sound warmer/softer/darker

FiiO:
All to DSD - makes sound smoother, softer and warmer
2nd harmonic regulation - emulates tube sound, raises certain frequencies

Astell & Kern:
Digital Audio Remaster PCM/DSD - DSP that boosts higher frequencies/DSP that makes sound warmer
Crossfeed - Mixes left and right channels with a delay, makes soundstage smaller and but more dense.

I would suggest you play around with Hiby's MSEB, personally I think its the best sound tuning tool/DSP by a long shot. It basically gives you the freedom to replicate any of these effects or make your own.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,677 of 2,044
The player sounds very good. Solid average up to $1000 with aspirations to the top. But I noticed another unpleasant moment. The standard hiby music application constantly freezes and crashes. How to get rid of this?

Apr 1, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #1,678 of 2,044
The player sounds very good. Solid average up to $1000 with aspirations to the top. But I noticed another unpleasant moment. The standard hiby music application constantly freezes and crashes. How to get rid of this?
Have to say not had a single crash or freeze in the four months I have had it and is used daily. My system is very bare so no secondary applications running on in the background, might be a conflicting app causing it ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back