Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,651 of 1,929
Thank you, @Joe Bloggs looking forward to the next Firmware update!

I also have one request, IF feasible: is it possible to add a bigger icon for the battery charging indicator, when the device is powered off? I am referring to that battery icon which has a vertical bar, loading while charging, and it shows the percentage. This is too small, it would be great if you could make this bigger in the next firmware update.

Will this be possible?
Totally agree with the battery icon, have to have bionic eyes to read it.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #1,652 of 1,929
It's not, they just cleverly marketed it to make it sound like its R2R when its just like any other delta sigma dac

1711892827951.png
I mean... it's a 7-bit R2R DAC operating on high-bit-depth audio data via Delta-Sigma?

But we don't advertise the R6proII as R2R. We do advertise the RS line (RS2, RS6, RS8) as definitely R2R.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #1,653 of 1,929
Yes, I've got your wav file. Programmers have confirmed the issue and are working on a fix for the next update.

Previous is previous, next is next... The play / pause button is drawn the wrong way around for this, unfortunately, but as for the actual arrangement, I think it is quite intuitive, that the next button should be below, when you consider the order of tracks on the screen.
Yep I figured it was following the playlist on screen after and edited my comment. But the play pause is facing upwards the same direction as the previous button on every pic I’ve seen of this player, not just this diagram.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,654 of 1,929
I see. I’m not really a fan of overly bright sound especially coming from the ZX300 Walkman I’m used to smoother sounding sources.

But I’m wondering… if you can get the R6 III sounding close to the R6Pro using MSEB then I’d imagine you could also use MSEB on the R6Pro to sound better again? Im assuming so because every comment i see is about how much better the pro sounds. Or maybe they’re all just comparing stock tuning without enabling the dynamic plugin or MSEB? I’m wasn’t aware if many people running these players in stock form. Can I ask why you don’t use the peq or MSEB, are there any downsides?
If you're used to (and prefer) the Sony "house sound", I reckon you won't be happy with the R6 III unless you're ok with EQing.

Re: MSEB and PEQ, I'm not against the idea of EQing to get the sound you're looking for. Heck, MSEB is actually a major draw for me, but more on the lines of "better to have and not need, than need and not have". I'm just too lazy to tweak stuff, lol. But I did play around with MSEB on the R6 III and it worked really really well. But then I got the R6 Pro II and it just sounded so good stock. Sold the R6 III the very next day. 😅

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #1,655 of 1,929
IMG_4623.png
Also just checking if this is correct… the previous button looks like it should be the next button or is that a mistake on the documentation?
I guess the thinking with how they're grouped is that between the three, the most used will be the pause/play and next buttons, with the previous button a distant third (unless you like repeating tracks).

I don't even use any of those. I have them disabled when the screen is locked to prevent accidental presses. I prefer playing/pausing and changing tracks on the screen.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #1,656 of 1,929
Yep I figured it was following the playlist on screen after and edited my comment. But the play pause is facing upwards the same direction as the previous button on every pic I’ve seen of this player, not just this diagram.
I am aware that the play / pause button is drawn the wrong way round, has always been drawn the wrong way round, on every actual unit, not just the R6proII :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #1,657 of 1,929
If you're used to (and prefer) the Sony "house sound", I reckon you won't be happy with the R6 III unless you're ok with EQing.

Re: MSEB and PEQ, I'm not against the idea of EQing to get the sound you're looking for. Heck, MSEB is actually a major draw for me, but more on the lines of "better to have and not need, than need and not have". I'm just too lazy to tweak stuff, lol. But I did play around with MSEB on the R6 III and it worked really really well. But then I got the R6 Pro II and it just sounded so good stock. Sold the R6 III the very next day. 😅
I don’t know if I prefer it but I’ve only owned Sony walkmans. I wanted to try the Hiby because of all the hype it gets and the MSEB function seems interesting. I’m also a fan of eqing and keen to learn more about it and these players seem to have the best system for that out there

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #1,658 of 1,929
I am aware that the play / pause button is drawn the wrong way round, has always been drawn the wrong way round, on every actual unit, not just the R6proII :frowning2:
Oh ok I thought you meant just that diagram. It’s ironic because I would prefer it to be the way it looks on the player. As in up is skip forward. Maybe you could let people customise the button functions in an update for people who like to use it a different way 😉

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,659 of 1,929
Sorry Joe, I couldn't understand. These are the options available in Low-pass antialiasing filters. Which are nearest to flat/netural

1. Sharp roll-off
2. Slow roll-off
3. Short delay sharp roll-off
4. Short delay slow roll-off
5. Super sharp roll-off
6. Super slow roll-off
7. Low dispersion short delay

Allow me to pull a post of mine from the past and modify it for this: (so please ignore any accidental references to past models etc. :wink: )
Regarding the call for a "neutral" filter setting, I gather that this is related to questions regarding the AA lowpass / rolloff filters available for the R6proII.

The full names for the AA filters on the R6proII:
Antialiasing ("AA") rolloff ("lowpass") filters can be characterized for the most part by their phase and rolloff rate.

So for a complete picture:
1. Sharp rolloff filter (and "super sharp")--is a linear phase, fast rolloff filter.
2. Slow rolloff filter--is a linear phase, slow rolloff filter.
3,4. "Short delay" versions of the above--are minimum phase instead of linear phase.

What an AA filter does, why it's there:
It should affect all DAPs both in DAP and DAC mode. The digital to analog converter (DAC) reconstructs the audio signal from the digital signals given (by the audio file being played by the player, or the connected device in the case of DAC mode). At the end of this reconstruction, components of the output signal that are higher than half the sample rate must be discarded (filtered out). In an attempt to simply the explanation: those are spurious signals created by the converter that do not appear in the original signal that was digitized. And no, this is not a flaw of the DAC used in a particular player: all DACs work like this.

The reconstruction lowpass filter is responsible for filtering out these spurious signals. The steep slope filter attempts to preserve as much of the digitized signal in the output as possible while filtering out all of the spurious signal; this is the "correct" filter, but if you play artificially generated square waves through the system, what comes out at the output (as measured by an oscilloscope) is square waves that have extra waves of overshoot before and after each step transition (google "Gibbs phenomenon").

People misinterpret these oscilloscope outputs to mean that the "correct" filter produces audible ringing artifacts, when in fact these "artifacts" occur outside of the audible range and in any case only occurs with artificial square wave input signals, in which case those are the mathematically correct output.

Nevertheless, a "gentle slope" filter may now be chosen, which will eliminate the ringing "artifacts" in the square waves. It does almost as good a job at eliminating the spurious output signals, but also attenuates some of the high frequencies--it starts cutting off signal in a "gentle" slope between the high audible frequencies and the top frequency that can be digitized (at half the sample rate). The possibly audible effect of this is more "rounded" highs--somewhat comparable to how high frequencies are attenuated by the air between loudspeakers and your ears, except you can now apply this to headphones.

The effect of different AA filters:
Slower rolloffs take out some of the top end. The slower the rolloff the more so.

The short-delay filters put any ringing caused by antialiasing at the back end of the impulse, which theoretically masks the ringing better.

The rationale for using each filter may be as follows:
Sharp rolloff: your high frequency hearing doesn't go up to the Nyquist frequency (22050Hz in the case of 44.1kHz sample rate) so you choose to use a sharp rolloff filter. This way you get flat response up to the limits of your hearing and no audible ringing (only inaudible ringing at 20000-22050Hz)

Slow (or super slow) rolloff: your high frequency hearing does go up to and above 20000Hz so much that you do hear ringing at those frequencies; besides, modern pop music is mastered too brightly for your tastes. You kill two birds with one stone, the slow rolloff filter: it makes ringing less noticeable and the highest frequencies less prominent.

Linear phase filters (i.e. the ones not labelled "short delay"): you believe preserving the phase relationships of instrumental sounds up to the highest frequencies is beneficial to correct soundstage reconstruction.

Minimum phase filters (i.e. the ones labelled "short delay"): you hear ringing with the "not short delay" version of the same filter and want to make it less obvious without switching to a slower rolloff filter. Or, you really have use for a shorter delay (playing twitch games on your i5???)

That said, don't be surprised if you don't hear a difference; the differences are subtle at best.

As for adding a "neutral" filter setting: if you've read this far, you might have gathered that an AA filter is a necessary part of the audio chain and there is no one-size-fits-all. If I had to pick one I would say the sharp rolloff filters are the neutral ones with short delay being the other preferred character?

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,660 of 1,929
Actually what would be awesome is to have the forward/backward on a rocker because I’m indecisive on what track I want to listen to 😁 and the play pause separate button. Maybe on another dap in future haha 😁

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,662 of 1,929
Hi all. I just received my r6 pro ii today and encountered a problem the first time I turned it on. There is no way I can scan the memory card through the native application (hiby misic). I've been waiting for a very long time, but there were 0 tracks left. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #1,663 of 1,929
Hi all. I just received my r6 pro ii today and encountered a problem the first time I turned it on. There is no way I can scan the memory card through the native application (hiby misic). I've been waiting for a very long time, but there were 0 tracks left. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Do you have any other Music App, like UAPP or another? Can this App see the files on your SD card?
Is your card formatted under FAT32?
If you go to Settings / Storage / Audio, can you see your music albums there?
If you tap on Audio and then tap the hamburger button at the top left corner, can you see your SD card as "disk" there?
Furthermore, if you tap on "disk", can you see your albums?

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #1,664 of 1,929
I tried to find files through folder search in hiby misic, everything works and plays perfectly. These files are also successfully located through file managers.

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,665 of 1,929
I also have one request, IF feasible: is it possible to add a bigger icon for the battery charging indicator, when the device is powered off? I am referring to that battery icon which has a vertical bar, loading while charging, and it shows the percentage. This is too small, it would be great if you could make this bigger in the next firmware update.
Seconded. The % display is unreadable to my old eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back