Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #1,486 of 2,044
I have successfully updated my device to firmware 1.30, thank you so very much for your support and for offering the latest firmware! :)
(Perhaps, @Joe Bloggs might be able to enlighten me on why it kept failing to update via OTA?)

I've also performed a full factory reset, afterwards, to be sure. Now the device appears to function as expected.

After the factory reset, it defaults to volume 40 and Amplifier Type: AB. Gain Low.
Under these settings, I've plugged in my Meze 109 Pro and I could hear normally, even though it wasn't loud enough for me, so I raised the volume to 50.
I've switched to Class A, to start burning it in. Should I give it like 200 hours or less, maybe?

I won't judge the sound quality until then.
Device burnin is a very controversial topic. My guess is you won’t hear any real difference. In any event things like capacitors should settle in after maybe 24 hours at most.

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #1,487 of 2,044
Device burnin is a very controversial topic. My guess is you won’t hear any real difference. In any event things like capacitors should settle in after maybe 24 hours at most.
Alright, even better for me, I will let it play for 24 hours then. Low Gain, Class A, Volume 80.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,489 of 2,044
Personally after seeing how hot this thing gets within an hour of Class A playback I would not be playing it for 24 hrs non stop, would do it in sessions over a couple of days.
If you are using the 109's you will probably settle on Medium gain at about 50-70 volume as the 109's are pretty easy to drive, if you mess about with the PEQ and put in the Oratory 1990 settings for the 109 you might have to go to high gain and again 50-70 volume.

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #1,490 of 2,044
I have successfully updated my device to firmware 1.30, thank you so very much for your support and for offering the latest firmware! :)
(Perhaps, @Joe Bloggs might be able to enlighten me on why it kept failing to update via OTA?)

I've also performed a full factory reset, afterwards, to be sure. Now the device appears to function as expected.

After the factory reset, it defaults to volume 40 and Amplifier Type: AB. Gain Low.
Under these settings, I've plugged in my Meze 109 Pro and I could hear normally, even though it wasn't loud enough for me, so I raised the volume to 50.
I've switched to Class A, to start burning it in. Should I give it like 200 hours or less, maybe?

I won't judge the sound quality until then.
Mine sounded actually quite bad and grainy in both PO and LO in the first maybe 80 hours to the point that i thought maybe there was something wrong, but after that it was much better and everything smoothed out. I wrote to Hiby and they told me 1-200hrs to burn in on the LO and so I guess it's similar with PO.

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #1,491 of 2,044
Status Report

It has been playing non-stop since 17:00, local time. Now it is 20:50
It has played for one and a half hours with my Meze 109 Pro and the rest of the time with my 64 Audio Volür to which I am currently listening.
Class A. Low Gain. Volume = 80, Wi-Fi = ON, Bluetooth = OFF. I am always using 3.5mm
I have played mostly my own WAV files through the Hiby Music App but also Amazon Music Unlimited and a bit of YouTube Premium.
Battery Level right now: 40%
Room temperature: 18.5 C
The device feels lukewarm
I've installed an App I am using on my smartphones, as well. It is called "Device Info HW". It provides a lot of info about the hardware and the software and also it has an entire list of thermal sensors. The maximum temperature I have seen is 45C.
I am not sure if this is happening because the device is still new, and I have read all the people who say this device gets really hot. It does not feel hot at all to me.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #1,492 of 2,044
Status Report

It has been playing non-stop since 17:00, local time. Now it is 20:50
It has played for one and a half hours with my Meze 109 Pro and the rest of the time with my 64 Audio Volür to which I am currently listening.
Class A. Low Gain. Volume = 80, Wi-Fi = ON, Bluetooth = OFF. I am always using 3.5mm
I have played mostly my own WAV files through the Hiby Music App but also Amazon Music Unlimited and a bit of YouTube Premium.
Battery Level right now: 40%
Room temperature: 18.5 C
The device feels lukewarm
I've installed an App I am using on my smartphones, as well. It is called "Device Info HW". It provides a lot of info about the hardware and the software and also it has an entire list of thermal sensors. The maximum temperature I have seen is 45C.
I am not sure if this is happening because the device is still new, and I have read all the people who say this device gets really hot. It does not feel hot at all to me.
It's because you're using low gain and 3.5mm, plug even an iem to the 4.4mm and even medium gain then you will see how hot it gets to the point I prefer to use 3.5mm

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #1,493 of 2,044
It's because you're using low gain and 3.5mm, plug even an iem to the 4.4mm and even medium gain then you will see how hot it gets to the point I prefer to use 3.5mm
Aha! I see! Well, I do not own any 4.4mm cables because I never use them but tomorrow I will set it to Medium Gain to see what happens. Earlier, when I was charging it and played some music at the same time, I remember it got warm but not to the point of concern (for me). Anyways, I do not think that my Volür will benefit for any extra gain, it has this TIA system and it can adjust but I might try it.

Last update from me: Just out of curiosity, I've paired it with my iFi GO Pod. As expected, it can do LDAC up to 660 kbps only. No worries, I have my S23 Ultra for higher.

PS: @kcsound777 I believe you about the burn-in time.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #1,494 of 2,044
Personally after seeing how hot this thing gets within an hour of Class A playback I would not be playing it for 24 hrs non stop, would do it in sessions over a couple of days.
If you are using the 109's you will probably settle on Medium gain at about 50-70 volume as the 109's are pretty easy to drive, if you mess about with the PEQ and put in the Oratory 1990 settings for the 109 you might have to go to high gain and again 50-70 volume.
For me burnin (when I do it, which isn’t frequently) is at comfortable listening levels. Also, maybe AB mode would do just as well. Having said this, no worries, a few sessions versus one long session should also be fine.

BTW, a lot has been made of the temperature of the R6 Pro II. I ran experiments (documented earlier in this thread) including actual case temps and frankly I think that it is a tempest in a teacup… The temps are warm, but not hot, and at least with Class AB quite stable. I may rerun with class A at some point, but I’m traveling away from home for a couple of weeks and didn’t bring my thermal sensor along for the ride…

@Nick24JJ - do you think you’ll need class A? It is a great marketing gimmick, but at least to my ears I could not pick out the difference…

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #1,495 of 2,044
Aha! I see! Well, I do not own any 4.4mm cables because I never use them but tomorrow I will set it to Medium Gain to see what happens. Earlier, when I was charging it and played some music at the same time, I remember it got warm but not to the point of concern (for me). Anyways, I do not think that my Volür will benefit for any extra gain, it has this TIA system and it can adjust but I might try it.

Last update from me: Just out of curiosity, I've paired it with my iFi GO Pod. As expected, it can do LDAC up to 660 kbps only. No worries, I have my S23 Ultra for higher.

PS: @kcsound777 I believe you about the burn-in time.
You can obtain 990 kbps in developer mode, very easily. I use same phone than you or R6 PRO II at 990 without any distinction.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #1,497 of 2,044
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #1,498 of 2,044
I am thanking whoever requested PEQ to be added in firmware 1.3, you rock!
BIG THANK YOU!
Even more cool is that you can run autoEQ on any unit listed on squig.link and export the results to a file that can be read directly by the PEQ :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #1,499 of 2,044
Indeed, I would suggest not to leave it plugged in @Nick24JJ
Does the R6 Pro II have a battery charge limiter?

If so maybe they could set it to 60% to preserve battery longevity while burning in.

Devices are also hottest while charging. As long as the device is not charging and it's not placed in an enclosed environment it should be fine.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #1,500 of 2,044
Does the R6 Pro II have a battery charge limiter?

If so maybe they could set it to 60% to preserve battery longevity while burning in.

Devices are also hottest while charging. As long as the device is not charging and it's not placed in an enclosed environment it should be fine.
It does indeed, yes, that may well be optimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back