HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #5,146 of 6,622
Well, firstly the good news is.................... update done and now the bad news :bow:.............. the chap showed me another app called Neutron and installed it for me. This I think is so so much better than the HiBy app, but will have to play with it for a while. Now were is that bottle of wine.....:gs1000smile:

Qnapper

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #5,147 of 6,622
Well, firstly the good news is.................... update done and now the bad news :bow:.............. the chap showed me another app called Neutron and installed it for me. This I think is so so much better than the HiBy app, but will have to play with it for a while. Now were is that bottle of wine.....:gs1000smile:

Qnapper

I love my USB Audio Pro on Android device does Tidal ,Quboz and even play MQA files or stream from Tidal if you like. Great customer response and they respond in a couple hours.

I am glad didn't try buy the R6 since you could get get in Stainless for $549 and wait get R6 PRo with Pie already installed.

Firmware nightmare .

Hiby needs to get with the upgrade process support.

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #5,148 of 6,622
Just updated my R6 after watching the video.
It was very easy and all went flawlessly.
After the update you can remove the driver from your system.

I noticed that the driver installation had put Windows 10 in testmode (to be able to install the unsigned driver).
remove-test-mode-watermark-from-windows-10-desktop.png
(screenprint is not from my system)

Maybe someone else already mentioned this but if not:
You can switch windows back to "Normal" mode by opening a CMD box as an Administrator
- Click Start
- Type CMD
- You see the Command Prompt appear
- Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator".
- Enter the following commands :
1> bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
2> bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF
- Reboot your system.

- All is fine again.

This also works for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

By the way, I noticed I had less free space after the update.
Ofcourse this was to be expected after an update to an OS 2 major releases higher and the repartitioning.
I think they did a great job slimming it down. No fluff at all! Just the minimum on applications.

There's two batch files supplied with the upgrade tool for doing this, one to enable test mode and one to disable test mode, it's tells you all this in the upgrade manual.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #5,149 of 6,622
I noticed a few things after the update.

It seems the battery drains faster now.
You can switch the blue light on the on/off button on or off in the settings but before the upgrade the light only was on when the device was playing and for a short while before the device went to sleep.
I haven't found a sleepmode yet.
Settings\Display\Sleep (= 1 minute) does it for the display.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #5,150 of 6,622
Hi all
I have tried to do the update and it failed on 70% ( like some of you have had). Only issue is my R6 will not turn on at all now. I have tried the reboot sequence as shown in the youtube video and still no joy. Totally gutted if it has killed my R6. Any ideas???
Did you resolve this yet? If holding the power button for what seems like forever until it lights up didn't work, not sure.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #5,151 of 6,622
In my many years of flashing firmware on various android devices, I've learned that the majority of update failure is due to user error. It's a very low chance that there's something wrong with the device. If something is failing, there's a step that may have been overlooked or there's something that's not compatible on the computer end. If you are new to flashing firmware It's important that if something doesn't look exactly like how the video shows, it's best to take a step back and reassess the steps taken before proceeding with the next steps.

I've bricked a few devices in the past because I was careless and skipped steps. I didn't do EXACTLY what was supposed to be done.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #5,152 of 6,622
In my many years of flashing firmware on various android devices, I've learned that the majority of update failure is due to user error. It's a very low chance that there's something wrong with the device. If something is failing, there's a step that may have been overlooked or there's something that's not compatible on the computer end. If you are new to flashing firmware It's important that if something doesn't look exactly like how the video shows, it's best to take a step back and reassess the steps taken before proceeding with the next steps.

I've bricked a few devices in the past because I was careless and skipped steps. I didn't do EXACTLY what was supposed to be done.

I would add that of the many “bricked” devices I encountered, whether boot loops or not powering on, it’s rare they are actually bricked and there’s nearly always a way to recover them. I’ve only encountered two truly bricked devices and both were hardware faults.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5,153 of 6,622
Did you resolve this yet? If holding the power button for what seems like forever until it lights up didn't work, not sure.
HI mate
holding the power button for ever didnt do nothing. I held the minus button when plugged into my computer and it saw it, i then ran the steps again using the burn software and this time the same steps worked fine, so guessing the first crash corrupted the boot process. So pleased it is all running fine now. Thanks for your help :wink:

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #5,154 of 6,622
I'm glad people are working through their problems. It's such a good feeling when you see the device reboot and realize it worked.

Does anyone know if the clear TPU case BGGA showed in his R6 Pro unboxing will ever be made for the R6? I have a red aluminum R6 and I don't really want to cover it up but I do want some scratch protection for it. Actually, the one for the R6 Pro might be fine; I don't care if the hole for the balanced connector is too big. It doesn't seem to be available on the Hiby website and I haven't found one anywhere else.

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #5,156 of 6,622
Well at at least I wasn't the only one! Unfortunately, that didn't do it for me.

Can you tell me what version of the Qualcomm driver you got after the update? Windows 10?
Sorry I cant just that the yellow ! went away and i was able to do the update.

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #5,157 of 6,622
Sorry I cant just that the yellow ! went away and i was able to do the update.

Hmph - Interesting.

I e-mailed HiBy support and they recommended that I update my Qualcomm driver as well. I started out with the one they packaged with the update files on the Google Drive repo though - quite strange!

Well I'll keep messing around and report back in case anyone else encounters this.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #5,158 of 6,622
I was finally able to update my R6 after maybe 20 unsuccessful attempts.

In the end I'm not sure if it was the version of the Qualcomm driver I was using or the method that I put the device into boot loader mode.

I was possibly letting go of the power, vol +, and vol - too quickly after seeing the HiBy logo flash. On my successful update I held the three buttons in for maybe 5 seconds after seeing the logo disappear.

Qualcomm Driver Version:
Fr2cSS1.png

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #5,159 of 6,622
The driver above is the same as the one the chap who sorted mine used.

Now here is my findings since up date:

Boot time: about the same
WiFi: a little better I think, but signal strength is maybe 1 bar better
Bluetooth: Much better to playing to speakers less cutting out than before
Turn wifi off: and bluetooth has no problems at all......... this was the same for old firmware.
HiBy music app: no differance in play back through thier own IEM (I bought them as well)
Neutron music app: This is in my opinion is so much better than HiBy app, so much so that I'm now using it all the time.

Was it worth all the pain of upgrading? - I think not.
Would I get ride of my R6? - NOT NOW Since installing Neutron app. As a portable music player it does the job. As a player for my home setup it does the job. There their better units out there? without doubt, but for a lot more money.
Is there customer support? NO - FORGET THAT ONE......... once you have paid your money your on your own.

Without members on this forum you may as well hope you never need help. Personally I thank one and all on this forum for commenst and help.

Have HiBy shot themsleves in the foot?
................ without doubt: The firmware upgrade was a rush job - untested - not fit for purpose - poor instructions as many owners are from differant countries and languages.

Finally would I buy the new R6 Pro?.......................... NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

Qnapper

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #5,160 of 6,622
The driver above is the same as the one the chap who sorted mine used.

Now here is my findings since up date:

Boot time: about the same
WiFi: a little better I think, but signal strength is maybe 1 bar better
Bluetooth: Much better to playing to speakers less cutting out than before
Turn wifi off: and bluetooth has no problems at all......... this was the same for old firmware.
HiBy music app: no differance in play back through thier own IEM (I bought them as well)
Neutron music app: This is in my opinion is so much better than HiBy app, so much so that I'm now using it all the time.

Was it worth all the pain of upgrading? - I think not.
Would I get ride of my R6? - NOT NOW Since installing Neutron app. As a portable music player it does the job. As a player for my home setup it does the job. There their better units out there? without doubt, but for a lot more money.
Is there customer support? NO - FORGET THAT ONE......... once you have paid your money your on your own.

Without members on this forum you may as well hope you never need help. Personally I thank one and all on this forum for commenst and help.

Have HiBy shot themsleves in the foot?
................ without doubt: The firmware upgrade was a rush job - untested - not fit for purpose - poor instructions as many owners are from differant countries and languages.

Finally would I buy the new R6 Pro?.......................... NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

Qnapper
Customer support once you paid for the product is a miricle in most parts in Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back