HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #5,116 of 6,628
After pressing and holding the Power + volume buttons, this is what my Device Manager looks like when I open it up. You want to look for the category labelled "Ports (COM & LPT)".

2fazYOy.png

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #5,118 of 6,628
So I haven't been able to get the upgrade to work. I've tried on 2 different computers and have had the same problem.
The port shows up with a :warning: symbol, and it doesn't in the video, which I assume is a bad thing.
PHHzFvh.png

And when I try to change it to COM4 (It's COM3 by default) in the burner program it gives me an error like this:
lXlimVA.png

I also tried using the one that says [02] which defaults to COM4 but the burn fails and [04] gives the same error when trying to switch. The video used [03] anyway so I assume it'll only work on that one, but I can't switch it to COM4.

I'm not super tech savvy so I'm terrible at things like this

Try right clicking the qualcom in device manager and install from internet.
Also untick number3 and try 2 as its com4 on this image.

Hope this helps

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #5,119 of 6,628
Jijoe, firstly thank you. I have tried that even download up to date Qualcomm software thinking that might be the problem. As for the image that is not mine I cannot get any com port to show............ Now have no hair left at all. At this rate as I have only had my R6 for less than a month I will be returning it for full refund.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #5,120 of 6,628
Jijoe, firstly thank you. I have tried that even download up to date Qualcomm software thinking that might be the problem. As for the image that is not mine I cannot get any com port to show............ Now have no hair left at all. At this rate as I have only had my R6 for less than a month I will be returning it for full refund.

I have just emailed Ashley at HiBy Music and informed him that I wish to return my R6 as this is not a good way to ask owners to up their player. Just wasted a day of my life.....................................
Qnapper

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #5,122 of 6,628

Are you able to switch the r6 on? If not Hold power and both volume buttons for 20 seconds and this might reset it.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #5,123 of 6,628
I have just emailed Ashley at HiBy Music and informed him that I wish to return my R6 as this is not a good way to ask owners to up their player. Just wasted a day of my life.....................................
Qnapper
I feel you, I thought I had bricked the r6 a few time in this instaltion.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,125 of 6,628
Guy's not "bricked it" as cannot connect it to the software as no com port showing. Now trying a windows XP machine, which I can see has com ports showing for other items, but cannot get drivers to load to see the R6. There must be someone who has the know how. WHY me........
Qnapper

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #5,126 of 6,628
Gu's not "bricked it" as cannot connect it to the software as no com port showing. Now trying a windows XP machine, which I can see has com ports showing for other items, but cannot get drivers to load to see the R6. There must be someone who has the know how. WHY me........
Qnapper
Have you tried a different cable...?

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #5,127 of 6,628
At first I thought I was going to run into this problem but what had ended up happening was Windows 10 went into "test mode" which I don't think I've ever seen before. But basically it puts itself in test mode when using software that's not tested such as the driver Hiby provided. Still ended up working out but I'm not surprised a bunch of people are running into issues.

One thing thing that Hiby should stress on the instructions is that if your computer does not recognize the device in flashing/bootloader mode, don't flash the firmware. I've been flashing android firmware since android cupcake and I've learned my lesson the hard way a few times.

Fortunately, after updating to Oreo, OTA updates should be able to continue for a while. I think it was nougat when they changed the partitioning. I can't remember.
For everyone struggling with similar issues, I can say getting a signed driver was key for me. I experimented with going into test mode and changing advanced boot options to let me install unsigned drivers but it was blocked and I just didn't feel like messing around with my BIOS settings just to install an driver that should have been signed in the first place. Going into test mode, changing advanced boot options, yadda yadda - it's unacceptable. No one should have to do this even if they know how. We're updating a digital audio player, not setting up a machine for Android development. I'm actually more annoyed by it all now than I was yesterday because I'm seeing how many other people are also having problems. Anyway, there are signed drivers out there on the internet for anyone as determined as I was to get the stupid thing updated but again, no one should have to do that. If you get past any high DPI issues (my laptop has a 4K screen) with the flash tool and get the driver to work, the update is actually quick and simple after that. Hiby should have tested the update process on a few machines and/or anticipated the issues that would arise. Even the way the files were made available seems sketchy. I was looking at getting the iBasso DX150 and they have a very nice web page for downloads where you can download the latest Oreo firmware. It's not hidden away or discussed only in social media or enthusiast forums. When you load the iBasso website, they basically blast in your face that Oreo updates are available for the DX200.

I don't have a lot of experience with all of this; is this normal? 2018 was the year I decided to jump into more serious audio gear so I'm not more than a month into owning a "real" digital audio player (got my Kickstarter Hidizs AP80 in December, Activo CT10 in December, and R6 this week). But after years of owning Android phones, I've not seen anything this convoluted. Is this normal? Are these companies just not that experienced with dealing with normal consumers? I mean, this is not the way you encourage people to buy the R6 Pro.

Thank you for letting me vent. :)

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #5,129 of 6,628
For everyone struggling with similar issues, I can say getting a signed driver was key for me. I experimented with going into test mode and changing advanced boot options to let me install unsigned drivers but it was blocked and I just didn't feel like messing around with my BIOS settings just to install an driver that should have been signed in the first place. Going into test mode, changing advanced boot options, yadda yadda - it's unacceptable. No one should have to do this even if they know how. We're updating a digital audio player, not setting up a machine for Android development. I'm actually more annoyed by it all now than I was yesterday because I'm seeing how many other people are also having problems. Anyway, there are signed drivers out there on the internet for anyone as determined as I was to get the stupid thing updated but again, no one should have to do that. If you get past any high DPI issues (my laptop has a 4K screen) with the flash tool and get the driver to work, the update is actually quick and simple after that. Hiby should have tested the update process on a few machines and/or anticipated the issues that would arise. Even the way the files were made available seems sketchy. I was looking at getting the iBasso DX150 and they have a very nice web page for downloads where you can download the latest Oreo firmware. It's not hidden away or discussed only in social media or enthusiast forums. When you load the iBasso website, they basically blast in your face that Oreo updates are available for the DX200.

I don't have a lot of experience with all of this; is this normal? 2018 was the year I decided to jump into more serious audio gear so I'm not more than a month into owning a "real" digital audio player (got my Kickstarter Hidizs AP80 in December, Activo CT10 in December, and R6 this week). But after years of owning Android phones, I've not seen anything this convoluted. Is this normal? Are these companies just not that experienced with dealing with normal consumers? I mean, this is not the way you encourage people to buy the R6 Pro.

Thank you for letting me vent. :)
Agreed, the upgrade process is awful. I've never had to jump through these hoops to update a device before.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #5,130 of 6,628
Also, an update about Neutron on the latest Android update: Dmitry is aware of the issues and a fix is in the works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back