HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Dec 26, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #5,013 of 6,622
If only using it as a digital transport, I don't see why you need the R6 or R6 pro.

It's simple.. give me any alternative DAP with fast Android (not 1GB ram crap..), good WiFi and coaxial digital out (to avoid USB crap).. ?
there are not many... so I also see R6 as a perfect transport and streamer. Plus possibility to grab it as on the go.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #5,014 of 6,622
Android 8 Oreo is available to upgrade for Hiby R6.
Anyone tried it?

Download
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1DBMt39BYagjHAuWURCobJrxSjo6YyPv-?usp=drive_open

Instruction

Screenshot_2018-12-29-10-07-52-090_com.facebook.katana.png

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #5,015 of 6,622
Dec 28, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #5,016 of 6,622
Android 8 Oreo is available to upgrade for Hiby R6.
Anyone tried it?

Download
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1DBMt39BYagjHAuWURCobJrxSjo6YyPv-?usp=drive_open

Instruction

Yes, I installed it this afternoon. I've reflashed iBasso DAPs, but for me the Hiby was a little more involved.
I am not very tech-savvy, and had to retry a couple of steps along the way. Finally had a successful update.
The video was helpful (in a general way) but the various steps flashed by way too fast. I paused the video at those points then completed the step before moving on. A "Language" selection choice in the Qualcomm flash tool would have been helpful. Took about 2 hours this afternoon-but like I mentioned I hit a few snags.
After the update I had trouble copying music files to the Internal storage: connected to a Windows 10 PC the R6 would time out and hang on "Copying" any particular random FLAC or mp3 file. This freeze would happen after a couple of minutes. Then the "(Not Responding) " error would appear. Had to disconnect /reconnect Hiby and try to continue copy again. This process was tedious and took a while to complete the transfer.

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #5,017 of 6,622
Seems like a complicated process. I'll try it out once I'm home since I don't have a micro SD card removal tool on me right now. It sounds like the update will wipe everything.

As long as you follow the video instructions you shouldn’t have any issue. I upgraded earlier and it went smoothly. The upgrade seems to have brought all-round performance and feature improvements (yay LDAC). Very impressed so far!

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #5,018 of 6,622
Seems like a complicated process. I'll try it out once I'm home since I don't have a micro SD card removal tool on me right now. It sounds like the update will wipe everything.
I found it erased the internal storage, but luckily not the external-which I forgot to remove.
It was complicated - and a bit stressful - for me. (66yrs old) But YAY I DID IT!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #5,019 of 6,622
Agree that the process could have been better. For tech noobs like me it is not easy negotiating the steps especially since the video was so fast in taking us thru the steps. Perhaps a screen shot of what needs to be done and an explanation at the bottom of every screen shot would have been a better way to go.

I had 3 tries, a scare when my R6 did not respond (luckily a 3 button press and hold revived it). Finally upgraded the firmware.

And Yes it wipes everything so back up if you treasure what you already have. Hiby also cautioned that the SD needs removing.

Observations after update so far:

1. Touch screen freezes at times. Not able to move apps onto home screen by touch.
2. Not able to move apps onto tool bar below the screen
The above two intermittent.
Sound wise feels the same but volume seems to have been boosted.

Others still pending but UI seem smooth so far.

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #5,020 of 6,622
Just went through with the update while using the video as a guide. Everything seems to have gone smoothly! Oreo runs like a charm.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #5,021 of 6,622
One thing I've noticed, to put it plainly: Neutron Music Player does not get along with the Hiby R6 on Android 8.1. Trying to output high res. audio results in significant playback issues. In the upper right hand corner where audio bitrate is displayed, it seems to be showing 2.8M regardless of the track selected.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #5,022 of 6,622
One thing I've noticed, to put it plainly: Neutron Music Player does not get along with the Hiby R6 on Android 8.1. Trying to output high res. audio results in significant playback issues. In the upper right hand corner where audio bitrate is displayed, it seems to be showing 2.8M regardless of the track selected.

No idea if it was you but someone else on hiby facebook posted about issues with nuetron. Any improvements on wifi for those that were having issues before hand?

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #5,025 of 6,622
No idea if it was you but someone else on hiby facebook posted about issues with nuetron. Any improvements on wifi for those that were having issues before hand?
Unfortunately, I don't use the Wifi enough to comment too much on if there are any improvements. Signal strength seemed the same as before, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back