HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Dec 20, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #4,981 of 6,628
Dec 21, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #4,982 of 6,628
hello all. first post so be gentle, although i have long read these forums for opinion and reviews i never felt the need to join up before now.

after a thoroughly crappy year i want to reward myself with a new high-end portable audio rig. i have a pair of hifiman he-400i's for home use, a pair of nuraphones for mobile use [which replaced b&W p5's, i spend more time than is healthy on airplanes] and have just ordered some custom art FIBAE black series CIEM's which will be delivered in the new year. thoughts now turn to a DAP. upto now i have been using an iphone and chord mojo but find it a bit of a faff when on the move, i am great at losing cables and forgetting to charge, and i hope the new DAP will mean i can sell the mojo.

i was originally going to buy an xdp-300r / xdp-1a as i wanted an android based UI with spotify and expandable storage, but then discovered the hiby r6 and from what i read this seems to be the player for me. it's perceived flaws aren't ones that unduly bother me, and my choice in headphones means the high impedance output won't be an issue either.

my only question is whether to wait for the r6pro and what the tangible benefits of that would bring me? my CIEMs will be with me mid feb so i can wait a while for the DAP, and the price uplift doesn't bother me unduly. If i get better sound, better UI [i trust the android 8 UI will be upgradeable on the base r6?], feaures etc. i am onboard with that. simply lower impedence output not so much.

so, in my position would you hold out for the pro or take advantage of hiby's sale on the regular r6?

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #4,983 of 6,628
@shirt Welcome to headfi!
I would simply because the R6 has some wifi issues that is hardware related and an Android DAP that cant stream (properly) is a dead duck. So id wait for the Pro version for wifi reliability and an overall enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #4,984 of 6,628
thanks, i wasn't aware that the r6 can't stream. i need this to work at home, in the car and on the move so yes, definitely required.

any thoughts on cables? granted this does look like a newbie spurging out, but i have a 4mth deployment to the darkest recesses of africa coming up in march so would like a decent music companion. i have opted for recessed 2 pins on the CA and would like that to go into the 4.4mm balanced on the r6p.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #4,985 of 6,628
thanks, i wasn't aware that the r6 can't stream. i need this to work at home, in the car and on the move so yes, definitely required.

any thoughts on cables? granted this does look like a newbie spurging out, but i have a 4mth deployment to the darkest recesses of africa coming up in march so would like a decent music companion. i have opted for recessed 2 pins on the CA and would like that to go into the 4.4mm balanced on the r6p.
There is streaming albeit patchy because of the poor wifi implementation.
There are so many options for cables but you're good with any decent 4.4mm balanced cable.. plussound, etc
For example: https://oidiosound.co.uk/other-cables/iem.html

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,987 of 6,628

Hi,

First off, I have had no issues with WiFi on the R6 for the 3 months or so I've owned it. Second, I believe you have answerat the question yourself when you say you wanted a balance 4.4mm output. That is what the Pro has. The R6 only has 2.5mm balanced and since you said you are prone to losing cables...then an adaptor from 2.5 to 4.4 would just be another thing to lose.

But the caveat here is that no one really knows whether the Pro will be better at WiFi then the R6. Especially where you said you are going in March. Big cities maybe but outside of that not sure.

So your call really but the Pro seems to tick boxes for you on your known preferences.

Have fun.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #4,988 of 6,628
Thinking about picking this DAP up. Seems like a lot of the concerns/complaints about this device are poor wifi connectivity and the 10ohm output impedance. 95% of my listening would be 16 bit flac from SD card using Sony MDR-1AM2 (which are 16ohm headphones) at moderate listening volume. Should I be concerned about the 10ohm output impedenace? Should I achieve around 10 - 12 hours battery life; anything under 10 is a real turnoff.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4,989 of 6,628
hello all. first post so be gentle, although i have long read these forums for opinion and reviews i never felt the need to join up before now.

after a thoroughly ****ty year i want to reward myself with a new high-end portable audio rig. i have a pair of hifiman he-400i's for home use, a pair of nuraphones for mobile use [which replaced b&W p5's, i spend more time than is healthy on airplanes] and have just ordered some custom art FIBAE black series CIEM's which will be delivered in the new year. thoughts now turn to a DAP. upto now i have been using an iphone and chord mojo but find it a bit of a faff when on the move, i am great at losing cables and forgetting to charge, and i hope the new DAP will mean i can sell the mojo.

i was originally going to buy an xdp-300r / xdp-1a as i wanted an android based UI with spotify and expandable storage, but then discovered the hiby r6 and from what i read this seems to be the player for me. it's perceived flaws aren't ones that unduly bother me, and my choice in headphones means the high impedance output won't be an issue either.

my only question is whether to wait for the r6pro and what the tangible benefits of that would bring me? my CIEMs will be with me mid feb so i can wait a while for the DAP, and the price uplift doesn't bother me unduly. If i get better sound, better UI [i trust the android 8 UI will be upgradeable on the base r6?], feaures etc. i am onboard with that. simply lower impedence output not so much.

so, in my position would you hold out for the pro or take advantage of hiby's sale on the regular r6?
Just buy Fiio M9, for 300$ you’ll get normalTidal, Spoty and all sort of Bluetooth connection
And save Mojo, M9 will be good digital transport for it.

Dec 22, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #4,990 of 6,628

Yes, r6 WiFi problem is a big hindrance for me. I’m on my second R6, after sending back the first. The second one is even worse. People on this forum are still saying it’s great. It simply isn’t fit for purpose. Pure and simple. I’m stuck with it now after spending 500 GBP. But when it comes to streaming, I’ve given up and now stream Qobuz from an iPhone X, through a Hugo2. It sounds superb, this is streaming in exactly the same room as the R6 just can’t connect to WiFi. The iPhone streams with absolutely no buffering. For on the move listening I’m probably going to get the Herus+ in the new year. Any thoughts on that or alternative would be most welcome. But steer clear of the R6.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #4,991 of 6,628
Yes, r6 WiFi problem is a big hindrance for me. I’m on my second R6, after sending back the first. The second one is even worse. People on this forum are still saying it’s great. It simply isn’t fit for purpose. Pure and simple. I’m stuck with it now after spending 500 GBP. But when it comes to streaming, I’ve given up and now stream Qobuz from an iPhone X, through a Hugo2. It sounds superb, this is streaming in exactly the same room as the R6 just can’t connect to WiFi. The iPhone streams with absolutely no buffering. For on the move listening I’m probably going to get the Herus+ in the new year. Any thoughts on that or alternative would be most welcome. But steer clear of the R6.
I understand you had/have issues with the Ry but do you have to keep popping in every time someone ask about an issue about the R6 ? It seems you stated the same issue many times.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #4,992 of 6,628
I understand you had/have issues with the Ry but do you have to keep popping in every time someone ask about an issue about the R6 ? It seems you stated the same issue many times.

I personally don't see how it's bad that the person mentions issues over again, that's totally normal. I'd like to know all the issues before making my choice to buy the DAP. It's the forum where ppl need to know as much as possible abt DAPs & music, so what's the problem. Let the person speak, such makes the company attend to details and feedback and produce better products. C'mon.

Btw. Hiby officials, will the issue be fixed in the "coming very soon" Pro version of the DAP? :wink: Or I'm waiting for nothing? :-D

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #4,993 of 6,628
I personally don't see how it's bad that the person mentions issues over again, that's totally normal. I'd like to know all the issues before making my choice to buy the DAP. It's the forum where ppl need to know as much as possible abt DAPs & music, so what's the problem. Let the person speak, such makes the company attend to details and feedback and produce better products. C'mon.

Btw. Hiby officials, will the issue be fixed in the "coming very soon" Pro version of the DAP? :wink: Or I'm waiting for nothing? :-D
Please do not flame me but it seems to me that waiting for something that is unknown is not really productive. You will likely have to wait for people to get it, use it and then report any flaws or errors. If not it would be like adopting the R6 again with the unknowns.

Unless you have your heart on the Hiby, then just read what you see and go get the best DAP for you at this time becoz when the Pro comes out, maybe there will be a Pro elite or other brands may have another premium offer.

And yes I agree that the forum is a place for people to air their experiences good or bad. Many times if it suites the person. We can elect to read or ignore.

Just my 2 cents.

Btw I also would like to reiterate that I have had no problems with R6 WiFi. It connects and streams without issues of any kind. So there, the good and the bad

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #4,994 of 6,628
Please do not flame me but it seems to me that waiting for something that is unknown is not really productive. You will likely have to wait for people to get it, use it and then report any flaws or errors. If not it would be like adopting the R6 again with the unknowns.

Unless you have your heart on the Hiby, then just read what you see and go get the best DAP for you at this time becoz when the Pro comes out, maybe there will be a Pro elite or other brands may have another premium offer.

And yes I agree that the forum is a place for people to air their experiences good or bad. Many times if it suites the person. We can elect to read or ignore.

Just my 2 cents.

Btw I also would like to reiterate that I have had no problems with R6 WiFi. It connects and streams without issues of any kind. So there, the good and the bad

I'm waiting just to make sure it's worth it or I'll waste my $ again by buying a thing that disappoints me (like my current DAP). So "waiting" here is only because they promise it really soooon, so I I'll see the price and make my decision: to buy or not to.
Good to hear that there r no issues with streaming on your R6's side.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #4,995 of 6,628
I can only speak as I find and yes, companies will only address issues (and I’m not the only one by far who has had these WiFi problems) if people speak out. And sometimes you have to over-make a point to get anything to change. I’m glad some others have had no issues. But I’m sorry, when you spend this kind of money on anything you should at least expect it to function, even if it doesn’t excel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back