HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #4,771 of 6,628
Agreed. However the R6 is already on BF sale for 30% off in a number of colors with the exception of the stainless steel. It appears that the window to get a good price on any unit except perhaps the SS version is closing.

I was tempted to buy, but am going to wait for the Pro version. The impedance of the R6 makes my Noble Encores sound a little off. Yes, I can address with the in match, but why buy an older unit when I can get a newer version at roughly the same price (I want the SS version).

The ability to stream and run other Android apps is huge for me. For example one of my other daps is the QP2R. It sounds fantastic and even though I have a large number of Flac files saved to SD I would trade a bit of the performance for the ability to stream from Tidal. Quite frankly any hit to performance is likely not immediately audible in all but the most critical listening anyway and in the case of the R6 the high output impedance likely has more of a negative impact on the quality of sound. A minor hit on quality is a small price to pay for the ability to discover new artists or listen to new albums from favorite artists at work or around the home.
Yeh I just saw the big BF discount. Really excellent value at that price.

Nov 23, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #4,773 of 6,628
Advancedmp3players.co.uk has 15BLACK 15% off code running across all store and they do sell the R6
I'm gonna wait the R6 Pro

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #4,776 of 6,628
this. How many people besides me rent their music instead of amassing a personal library ripped from CDs. Answer: a lot.

Audio streaming is the number 1 format of music consumption. Here's an industry qoute:

"Interactive streaming music services — Spotify, Apple Music, Napster, Deezer, Tidal, etc. — now account for the majority of recorded music industry revenue and are growing at better than 50% per year. We’re now in the fifth era of recorded music, after the eras of vinyl, tape (8-tracks and cassettes), CDs and music downloads."

One of the main reasons I got the R6 as a digital transport was the open Android environment. It allows me to use pretty much any streaming app.

On the other hand, the hi-fi vendors with fancy and costly music servers/streamers demonstrate incredible shortsightedness by offering only a few streaming services. They expect you to shell out a few grands and be stuck with Tidal. Nuts.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #4,777 of 6,628
Audio streaming is the number 1 format of music consumption. Here's an industry qoute:

"Interactive streaming music services — Spotify, Apple Music, Napster, Deezer, Tidal, etc. — now account for the majority of recorded music industry revenue and are growing at better than 50% per year. We’re now in the fifth era of recorded music, after the eras of vinyl, tape (8-tracks and cassettes), CDs and music downloads."

One of the main reasons I got the R6 as a digital transport was the open Android environment. It allows me to use pretty much any streaming app.

On the other hand, the hi-fi vendors with fancy and costly music servers/streamers demonstrate incredible shortsightedness by offering only a few streaming services. They expect you to shell out a few grands and be stuck with Tidal. Nuts.
But, the bottom line is that the R6 absolutely sucks with Tidal. I’m on my second one. Returned the first because Tidal was awful on it. This one is worse with Tidal. Takes almost a minute to load. Extremely jerky scrolling. In fact if you don’t scroll at a snail-like speed, Tidal freezes and you have to load again. It’s so frustrating because Tidal is all I use. The R6 is a transport, through a Hugo2, into Sony Z1Rs.

At least with my first R6 the battery life was very good (about 8 hours just using Tidal). Now I’m lucky if I get 5. Anyone had experience using R6 with Qobuz? Need Hifi quality.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4,778 of 6,628
But, the bottom line is that the R6 absolutely sucks with Tidal. I’m on my second one. Returned the first because Tidal was awful on it. This one is worse with Tidal. Takes almost a minute to load. Extremely jerky scrolling. In fact if you don’t scroll at a snail-like speed, Tidal freezes and you have to load again. It’s so frustrating because Tidal is all I use. The R6 is a transport, through a Hugo2, into Sony Z1Rs.

At least with my first R6 the battery life was very good (about 8 hours just using Tidal). Now I’m lucky if I get 5. Anyone had experience using R6 with Qobuz? Need Hifi quality.

Fair enough and not encouraging to learn.

I use SoundCloud with stellar results

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #4,779 of 6,628
Fair enough and not encouraging to learn.

I use SoundCloud with stellar results
I was/ am planning on using bandcamp along with local flac files .. i just hope this works! Anyone tried DLNA with good results? Spotify would be good if it works flawlessly.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #4,780 of 6,628
Here's another strike against HiBy R6, at least as a digital transport:

The pinout on the coax port is reversed. that is, the signal/data is carried by the shield and the ground is connected to the core. A bizarre analomy.

The implication is a cable that is prone to picking up interferences. The longer the cable and the nearer to power line, the more sensative. In my case, with a 2.5m cable, the signal drops every time I turn on the lights. It takes a long second before it's re-locked. Annoying and unhealthy for the equipment.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #4,781 of 6,628

And to do so without resampling the original data. That's the R6's differentiating factor: the DTA architecture that prevents the android OS from taking over the bitstream and resampling it to it's native 48khz rate. Android resamples all audio to 48khz (or some integer multiple thereof - 96, 192) so that it can mix android system sounds in along with whatever is playing - a song/video, etc. When converting from 44.1 (CD format) to 48 (android) only 1 in 160 original samples are preserved, the rest are "interpolated" or approximated. So the amplitude plotting of each sample will not be precisely what it was when recorded - it will be the best approximation the re-sampler algorithm can manage. This is known as quantization error.

I've done sighted testing (so take it FWIW) and am convinced resampling detracts slightly from the quality. Mainly, how deeply into a musical piece you can "see". Low level detail is lost. Sometimes, the highs can become a bit more sibilant or splashy than original bitstream would produce. This is only really evident on very good recordings. At least with my ears and my gear.

Now for the life of me I can't think of why android would choose to operate this way. Why not resample whatever is not the primary source bitstream? IE, resample the system sounds and mix them in at 44.1 if you're listening to a 44.1 file. You'd think by now they'd have a dynamic resampler. It's easier to have a fixed core audio system vs an intelligent one.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #4,782 of 6,628
And to do so without resampling the original data. That's the R6's differentiating factor: the DTA architecture that prevents the android OS from taking over the bitstream and resampling it to it's native 48khz rate. Android resamples all audio to 48khz (or some integer multiple thereof - 96, 192) so that it can mix android system sounds in along with whatever is playing - a song/video, etc. When converting from 44.1 (CD format) to 48 (android) only 1 in 160 original samples are preserved, the rest are "interpolated" or approximated. So the amplitude plotting of each sample will not be precisely what it was when recorded - it will be the best approximation the re-sampler algorithm can manage. This is known as quantization error.

I've done sighted testing (so take it FWIW) and am convinced resampling detracts slightly from the quality. Mainly, how deeply into a musical piece you can "see". Low level detail is lost. Sometimes, the highs can become a bit more sibilant or splashy than original bitstream would produce. This is only really evident on very good recordings. At least with my ears and my gear.

Now for the life of me I can't think of why android would choose to operate this way. Why not resample whatever is not the primary source bitstream? IE, resample the system sounds and mix them in at 44.1 if you're listening to a 44.1 file. You'd think by now they'd have a dynamic resampler. It's easier to have a fixed core audio system vs an intelligent one.

Is the Android resampling / DTA solution applicable when the output is digital?
Internally, as far as I know, the data stream is processed by a USB/SPIDF chip, clock information is slapped on, and off the port the it goes.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #4,783 of 6,628
Nov 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #4,784 of 6,628
FWIW, the Android music player app "USB Audio Player Pro" completely replaces the stock Android audio kernel to bypass the SRC issue and provide bit-perfect output.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #4,785 of 6,628
FWIW, the Android music player app "USB Audio Player Pro" completely replaces the stock Android audio kernel to bypass the SRC issue and provide bit-perfect output.
yes, it works well on R6 - I have owned it for 2 years. Great if you want GEG, PEQ or crossfeed without SRC. However, the SQ is just fine using the tidal app on Hiby R6, and to me, doesn't appear to be performing SRC. I can't say the same for my LG V30... there, UAPP must be used unless you want your hifi files to sound like MP3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back