HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 8, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #2,971 of 6,622
I was backer #163 so do not know if got second production batch, but firs R6 was without Any my mentioned problems, strange why first unit was getting good wifi signal and the new one is very poor on wifi, i did not changed nothing at home and tried wef days, but connection is iood as you are approx 2-3 meters from wifi station!

I am also experiencing very poor Wifi reception as expressed in my impressions a few posts above. My unit needs doesn't like to be away from the router at all.

May 8, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #2,972 of 6,622
Would this work as a desktop DAC with another amp compared to something like my Steinberg UR22mkii (audio interface) with the same amp. I would have the same amp but different DAC?

Also has anyone tried the Hiby R6 with LCD-X?

May 8, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #2,973 of 6,622
Yes. My delivery was just delayed a week. A little disappointing.

Same here. My first FedEx notification on May 2nd was "Label Created" with a location of Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, which stated a Delivery Date of May 8th via FedEx Economy International. I'm located in Southern California/U.S.A.

But on May 7th (the day before I thought that the R6 would be delivered to me), my next FedEx Tracking Update just said "Picked Up" in Sepang, Malaysia with a revised Delivery Date of May 14th in SoCal. :frowning2: No other tracking updates since. :/

I was really hoping to get this sooner since it was originally promised that ALL units would be shipped by April 30th, and there was no previous mention that HiBy would be using a proxy shipping service which would require additional time for the shipment. IMO, that should have been stated up front. I would have been fine with this if it was mentioned much earlier and I knew to expect the delay. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited to receive my R6!

Reviewer XD, Photograppher, Writer, Programmer, Muisc Enthusiast and I need to lose some weight and get in shape :)

I just figured I wanted to test some DSLR cameras today

The Nikon D7200 is a great camera! It and the D800/D810 are what first got me to start seriously looking into Nikon (I've been a Canon shooter my entire career). The newer D850 finally sealed the deal for me and I've switched entirely to Nikon (and I've had a huge investment in Canon Pro Bodies & Glass for years). The D850 just ticked all of the check boxes on my list. Enjoy the D7200, and don't even think about trying the D850! :p

Listening to my Stainless Steel R6 with the Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX through a balanced cable and loving it!

Of course, a few things did take me by surprise even after reading a whole bunch of reviews. Maybe all of these were expected by reviewers because the're used to the DAP market, but this is my first Android DAP so I was taken aback by the following things:

• The default launcher doesn't allow you to create folders within the app drawer. Probably silly, but that's the first thing I tried to do and it left me scratching my head.
  • Default launcher doesn't seem to let you create extra desktops. I haven't given up on it, but the truth is that if it's possible, it shouldn't be so difficult to figure it out. In the meantime, I downloaded Nova Launcher but since it doesn't support the HiBy Music App wallpapers, I have gone back to the default launcher.
  • No accelerometer? Whoah, this was big. Doesn't rotate pages and apps automatically. Again, this may not be an issue to those used to the DAP market, but it has really taken a while to get used to it. I did download an app called "Rotation Control" to be able to rotate the screen when necessary, but that's not as convenient as having an accelerometer would have been.
  • Very few options from the notification shade. There's only brightness, Wifi, Bluetooth, and Audio options. I suppose those are what really have any importance in a DAP, but it'd be nice to at least have a little shortcut to the Settings app and a quick toggle for the Line Out behaviour.
  • No light sensor, so no autobrightness but that's not a very big issue.
  • Wifi range is quite low. I thought the Nintendo Switch had a crappy Wifi antenna, but the R6 takes the cake. It performs fine when I'm in the same room as the router, but the signal quality goes south quick if I enter another room. All of my other devices maintain a good Wifi connection, but the R6 tends to lose it. Very disappointing in this aspect. Not sure if this is an issue with the stainless steel body (though the glass back should allow the signals to go through without an issue).
Now, these details may not be important for those that went in thinking DAP only and are more experienced with DAP's than I am. I just got into the audiophile hobby, and when I ran into the R6 I thought in Android terms first, so these details have really stood out to me and am surprised that I haven't run into a review that mentions these things (or maybe I missed them because I was too hyped).

Having said that, the following features have exceeded my expectations way beyond any reason:
  • Screen quality. I knew it was an LCD, so I had certain expectations of it being a disappointing screen. However, it is actually a very bright screen that can hit eye-searing levels of brightness while keeping very high quality color reproduction and a very crisp presentation in regard to its resolution. It also has wonderful viewing angles; a big win altogether.
  • Performance is amazing! I expected some jerkiness because the CPU in the device is not the latest Snapdragon, but I suppose the 3GB of RAM coupled with the smart Android distribution (no needless clutter here!) are a match made in heaven for performance!
  • This is my first audio device with a 4-pole balanced connection and using it is lovely! Doing a great job pushing notes into HE4XX! Can't wait to get that balanced cable for my Sennheiser HD6XX to try them out with the HiBy as well!
At the end of the day, I am very pleased with my R6. Sure, I put more cons than pros there, but that's because I am listing the areas that are different from what I expected. At the end of the day, the R6 is an amazing device that I'm having a lot of fun with! I fed it some old Aerosmith and Michael Jackson DSD's and the quality was sublime. Unfortunately, I am not well-versed in the terminology so I can't provide any of those useful audio quality reviews as that is simply beyond my capability right now.

Great insights, mate! Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

I'm an Android smartphone and tablet user as well (former Apple iOS user) , and I agree that it is difficult if you're coming from a full-fledged Android smart device using the HiBy Player app or UAPP, etc and are used to the Auto-Rotate/Auto-Brightness screen, and all of the other Android UI goodies.

I find that a really strange decision about not allowing folder creation or creating additional "desktop" pages. :/ Will it "automatically" add another page if you load up more apps on the home screen than will fit on the one page?

Regarding Screen Orientation, some of the layout and gesture features change when using UAPP in portrait vs. landscape, and most of the time I prefer landscape orientation. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 GSM/LTE 8" Phablet (# SM-T715Y) with UAPP as my main audio source & for Google NAV in all of my car audio systems.

I take USB audio output from the Galaxy Tab S2 Phablet via a USB OTG "Y" cable into the USB Audio input of a Helix DSP Pro MK 2 car audio processor. The Helix DSP will also accept inputs via Digital Coaxial or Toslink optical S/PDIF (up to 24/192) as well as Analog in from the Line Out of my DAPs (currently iBasso DX200 & DX90) or any other Line Level source.

I obviously prefer the larger screen of the dash-mounted 8" phablet as opposed to the small DAPs in that setup, and I was thinking to use the Galaxy Tab S2 Phablet to "remote control" the R6 via HiByLink and keep the R6 hidden away in the center console storage bin.

An Auto-Brightness sensor really comes in handy for this car audio setup as well! And I agree that it would be very nice to have some of the key switching features available in the drop-down notification shade.

On my Android smartphones and tablets I'm still using the older Widgetsoid app to create a Custom Home Screen "Toggle Switch Bar" widget in order to quickly access all of my desired quick menu settings from the home screen without even having to use the notification shade.

I'm really disappointed to hear about the Wi-Fi performance. :frowning2: This is something that should be Rock Solid in this day and age! I was counting on this for the TIDAL streaming as well as HiByLink, DLNA, BubbleUPnP, etc! ...see below.

My first unit was absolutely fine, wifi 5ghz and 2.4ghz worked perfectly, just micro sd card was not working, no any additional specific sound i heard due wifi was on, after i got replacement, wifi is very weak, it almost impossible to use Tidal, i hear some strange artifact noise while switching another song on Tidal via wifi, i need my first unit Joe just with fixed micro SD !!! It is not player noe which i liked so so m!

Thoughts are your first unit was in the batch that reviewers were testing.

The second batch may have some changes in component quality? effecting wifi quality?

I suppose this is why there are so many mixed reviews on the performance of TIDAL streaming, with most of the reviews being negative. If the Wi-Fi performance remains subpar, this is a huge deal breaker for me and one of the key reasons I made my decision to back this project. You can be sure I'll be testing this as soon as I received my R6.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #2,974 of 6,622
Same here. My first FedEx notification was "Label Created" with a location of Petaling Jaya, Malaysia on May 2nd, which stated a Delivery Date of May 8th via FedEx Economy International. I'm located in Southern California/U.S.A.

But on May 7th (the day before I thought that the R6 would be delivered to me), my next FedEx Tracking Update said "Picked Up" in Sepang, Malaysia with a revised Delivery Date on May 14th in SoCal. No other tracking updates since. :/

I was really hoping to get this sooner since it was originally promised that ALL units would be shipped by April 30th, and there was no previous mention that HiBy would be using a proxy shipping service which would require additional time for the shipment. IMO, that should have been stated up front.

May have an answer for you, 8th May was election day in Malaysia, things have been hectic past few days there.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #2,976 of 6,622
Same here. My first FedEx notification on May 2nd was "Label Created" with a location of Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, which stated a Delivery Date of May 8th via FedEx Economy International. I'm located in Southern California/U.S.A.

But on May 7th (the day before I thought that the R6 would be delivered to me), my next FedEx Tracking Update just said "Picked Up" in Sepang, Malaysia with a revised Delivery Date of May 14th in SoCal. :frowning2: No other tracking updates since. :/

I was really hoping to get this sooner since it was originally promised that ALL units would be shipped by April 30th, and there was no previous mention that HiBy would be using a proxy shipping service which would require additional time for the shipment. IMO, that should have been stated up front. I would have been fine with this if it was mentioned much earlier and I knew to expect the delay. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited to receive my R6!

The Nikon D7200 is a great camera! It and the D800/D810 are what first got me to start seriously looking into Nikon (I've been a Canon shooter my entire career). The newer D850 finally sealed the deal for me and I've switched entirely to Nikon (and I've had a huge investment in Canon Pro Bodies & Glass for years). The D850 just ticked all of the check boxes on my list. Enjoy the D7200, and don't even think about trying the D850! :p

I'm an Android smartphone and tablet user as well (former Apple iOS user) , and I agree that it is difficult if you're coming from an full-fledged Android smart device using the HiBy Player app or UAPP, etc and are used to the Auto-Rotate/Auto-Brightness screen, and all of the other Android UI goodies.

I find that a really strange decision about not allowing folder creation or creating additional "desktop" pages. :/ Will it "automatically" add another page if you load up more apps on the home screen than will fit on the one page?

Regarding Screen Orientation, some of the layout and gesture features change when using UAPP in portrait and landscape, and most of the time I prefer landscape orientation. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 GSM/LTE 8" Phablet (# SM-T715Y) with UAPP as my main audio source & for Google NAV in all of my car audio systems.

I take USB audio output from the Galaxy Tab S2 Phablet via a USB OTG "Y" cable into the USB Audio input of a Helix DSP Pro MK 2 car audio processor. The Helix DSP will also accept inputs via Digital Coaxial or Toslink optical S/PDIF (up to 24/192) as well as Analog in from the Line Out of my DAPs (currently iBasso DX200 & DX90) or any other Line Level source.

I obviously prefer the larger screen of the dash-mounted 8" phablet as opposed to the small DAPs in that setup, and I was thinking to use the Galaxy Tab S2 Phablet to "remote control" the R6 via HiByLink and keep the R6 hidden away in the center console storage bin.

An Auto-Brightness sensor really comes in handy for this car audio setup as well! And I agree thought it would be very nice to have some of the key switching features available in the drop-down notification shade.

On my Android smartphones and tablets I'm still using the older Widgetsoid app to create a Custom Home Screen "Toggle Switch Bar" in order to quickly access all of my desired quick menu settings from the home screen without even having to use the notification shade.

I'm really disappointed to hear about the Wi-Fi performance. :frowning2: This is something that should be Rock Solid in this day and age! I was counting on this for the TIDAL streaming as well as HiByLink, DLNA, BubbleUPnP, etc! ...see below.

I suppose this is why there are so many mixed reviews on the performance of TIDAL streaming, with most of the reviews being negative. If the Wi-Fi performance remains subpar, this is a huge deal breaker for me and one of the key reasons I made my decision to back this project. You can be sure I'll be testing this as soon as I received my R6.

Crying in still owning D5200 but planning to upgrade to D7200 :frowning2:

BTW, D850 is a real monster of a camera, I also tested it, just way above my price range.

Man, that camera is so freaking awesome, one of the best bodies they had in store available for testing.

They had some really bad boys in there as well, but not available for testing...

At any rate, R6 looks good on all cameras when taking photos of it! :)

DctWiCqXUAA3FaZ.jpg:large

May 8, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #2,977 of 6,622

I'm an Android smartphone and tablet user as well (former Apple iOS user) , and I agree that it is difficult if you're coming from a full-fledged Android smart device using the HiBy Player app or UAPP, etc and are used to the Auto-Rotate/Auto-Brightness screen, and all of the other Android UI goodies.

Regarding Screen Orientation, some of the layout and gesture features change when using UAPP in portrait vs. landscape, and most of the time I prefer landscape orientation. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 GSM/LTE 8" Phablet (# SM-T715Y) with UAPP as my main audio source & for Google NAV in all of my car audio systems.

An Auto-Brightness sensor really comes in handy for this car audio setup as well! And I agree that it would be very nice to have some of the key switching features available in the drop-down notification shade.

On my Android smartphones and tablets I'm still using the older Widgetsoid app to create a Custom Home Screen "Toggle Switch Bar" widget in order to quickly access all of my desired quick menu settings from the home screen without even having to use the notification shade.

WiFi on the R6 is terrible, but it may just be the Tidal app. Unfortunately, I stream Tidal exclusively, so bad Tidal performance isn’t good. It gets to the point where I won’t even play a song but just spins. UAPP is really buggy. Half the time you press the screen and nothing happens. I just want it fixed.

May 9, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #2,978 of 6,622
WiFi on the R6 is terrible, but it may just be the Tidal app. Unfortunately, I stream Tidal exclusively, so bad Tidal performance isn’t good. It gets to the point where I won’t even play a song but just spins. UAPP is really buggy. Half the time you press the screen and nothing happens. I just want it fixed.

I must be really lucky. My unit has no issues whatsoever.
See YouTube vid in the link

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #2,979 of 6,622
Can you guys with wifi problems swipe down from the top of the screen and select the wifi icon from the drop down.

It should display all local wifi hotspots including your own.

Wander away from your router and see how many bars are on your routers icon.

May 9, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #2,980 of 6,622
For wi-fi, you can use an app such as Wifi Sweetspots and/or run a speedtest and compare different devices at the same spot. Using a single app such as Tidal will not single out the problem between the device, device firmware/software, or the app compatibility.

May 9, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #2,981 of 6,622
It is not only with Tidal, the place i could easily run 5 ghz, no barely working 2.4ghz, and when using 2.4 ghz you get in backround some strange like connection to internet distortion sound. It is really should not be so as i iad previously unit which was working with out problems, Joe maybe will answer what it caused!!!

May 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,982 of 6,622
Can you guys with wifi problems swipe down from the top of the screen and select the wifi icon from the drop down.

It should display all local wifi hotspots including your own.

Wander away from your router and see how many bars are on your routers icon.

There isn't much troubleshooting to be done. The only way I can get a full bar connection to the router from the R6 side is to be right next to it. Moving just 2 or 3 feet away from the router immediately makes it lose a bar. My phone (a Galaxy S8+) and my Switch still have full bars in that scenario for comparison. If I walk from the router (which is in my living room, placed on top of a table so it's unobstructed) and sit on the couch, which is just about 12 feet away from the router, my phone and my Switch are still at top bars while my R6 is showing half bars. Moving into my bedroom my phone still has full bars, my Switch is now showing halfway on the bars (told you it has a crap Wifi antenna) and my R6 has lost connection to the router. I'm using a travel router that I've had for a while in my bedroom to extend a connection to my R6. At my office, the R6 can't even see the guest network and my phone can connect to it at full Wifi bars.

So I usually have the R6 connected to that travel router or tethered to my phone. I have to get too close to the actual routers for it to work with them, which is a shame. Another thing that casts a doubt on the quality of the R6 Wifi antennae arrangement is that if I pull up the access point list in the R6, it usually only picks out 2 or 3 options in spots where my phone can identify at least 9 options and my Switch can see about 6 or 7.

As for the multiple desktops, I realized that all I needed to do was to have more than one widget/icon on the desktop. That way, I can drag one of the icons to the right and create a new desktop. I haven't been able to create a third one though; maybe I need to fill both desktops for a third one to be created automatically. Unfortunately I can't have empty desktops; the HiBy launcher deletes them immediately if there's nothing on them. I usually keep an empty desktop as my "Home" desktop to get a full view of the wallpaper and put my widgets on other desktops, but I can't do that with the R6. I'm also unsure if the reason that I can at least create a second desktop is because I fully filled out the first one and that may have flipped a switch in the configuration files or something because I don't recall being given the option to drag an icon or widget to another desktop yesterday. I only recall seeing that option today, after I completely filled out the desktop (and the option has remained after I emptied it, though I need to fill out both desktops to get a third desktop to appear and even after doing that, if I clear the desktops I can't force the creation of a third desktop again).

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,984 of 6,622
There isn't much troubleshooting to be done. The only way I can get a full bar connection to the router from the R6 side is to be right next to it. Moving just 2 or 3 feet away from the router immediately makes it lose a bar. My phone (a Galaxy S8+) and my Switch still have full bars in that scenario for comparison. If I walk from the router (which is in my living room, placed on top of a table so it's unobstructed) and sit on the couch, which is just about 12 feet away from the router, my phone and my Switch are still at top bars while my R6 is showing half bars. Moving into my bedroom my phone still has full bars, my Switch is now showing halfway on the bars (told you it has a crap Wifi antenna) and my R6 has lost connection to the router. I'm using a travel router that I've had for a while in my bedroom to extend a connection to my R6. At my office, the R6 can't even see the guest network and my phone can connect to it at full Wifi bars.

So I usually have the R6 connected to that travel router or tethered to my phone. I have to get too close to the actual routers for it to work with them, which is a shame. Another thing that casts a doubt on the quality of the R6 Wifi antennae arrangement is that if I pull up the access point list in the R6, it usually only picks out 2 or 3 options in spots where my phone can identify at least 9 options and my Switch can see about 6 or 7.

As for the multiple desktops, I realized that all I needed to do was to have more than one widget/icon on the desktop. That way, I can drag one of the icons to the right and create a new desktop. I haven't been able to create a third one though; maybe I need to fill both desktops for a third one to be created automatically. Unfortunately I can't have empty desktops; the HiBy launcher deletes them immediately if there's nothing on them. I usually keep an empty desktop as my "Home" desktop to get a full view of the wallpaper and put my widgets on other desktops, but I can't do that with the R6. I also unsure if the reason that I can at least create a second desktop is because I fully filled out the first one and that may have flipped a switch in the configuration files or something because I don't recall being given the option to drag an icon or widget to another desktop yesterday. I only recall seeing that option today, after I completely filled out the desktop (and the option has remained after I emptied it, though I need to fill out both desktops to get a third desktop to appear and even after doing that, if I clear the desktops I can't force the creation of a third desktop again).

Thats bad.

The fiio x5 iii uses a flat pcb type ariel which tends to be directional , which does cause problems. They should be using Omni types.

Try pointing the rear of the player directly at your router and see if that improves the reception.

May 9, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,985 of 6,622
There is any way to buy the R6 in store or not yet? Anyone selling? :p
There is any way to buy the R6 in store or not yet? Anyone selling? :p
Hi, i just got replacement, as micro SD was not working, but as neneed now money, would consider selling it approx 450 EUR including shipment. Please pm if interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back