HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 10, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #3,001 of 6,628
I hope so and also hope there is a simple solution. I hate to say it, but it almost seems as if the new assembly factory forgot to attach the Wi-Fi antenna to the tiny PCB connector, or it might come loose during shipping? Or perhaps if the antenna is a now a trace that is "built-in" to the PCB, it is too close to the edge of the aluminum or S-S frame, where in Chinese Rev.A units it was not?

Looks like you are not using the Stock HiBy Launcher though, so no HiBy "DTA" functionality???

Thank you to everyone for chiming-in regarding the Wi-Fi issues!!!

For those that have GOOD Wi-Fi reception, are your HiBy R6 DAPs early Chinese market units, or "early bird" Indiegogo backer units, or "2nd Batch"/"In Demand" Indiegogo backer units???

Please also post the Firmware Version of your unit!

For All Users with both Good AND Bad Wi-Fi reception, can you Please Test the Wi-Fi speed & performance with a "Speed Test" app for each Wi-Fi signal "bar level" and report back??
For example, what is your Wi-Fi Connection Speed at a signal strength of 1 Bar, 2 Bars, 3 Bars, and Full Bars?

Can you stream a 720P YouTube video using the YouTube app or Browser without buffering or stutters at all Wi-Fi signal strength bar levels from Full to just 1 bar?

Also, if I remember correctly, in Currawong's (Amos) HiBy R6 YouTube review, he showed that there is a place in the Settings Menu to "Send A Crash or Report Log to HiBy" for evaluation & bug fixes. Please check this.

If there is no simple or quick solution to the Wi-Fi or TIDAL streaming issue, I'm wondering if HiBy will accept a Return of the R6 for a Refund due to not delivering on major functions and marketing bullet points of this device? The Wi-Fi issue would also affect HiBy-Link and DLNA usability, etc. I'm guessing "no returns/no refunds'' due to Indiegogo's or HiBy's terms regarding this being a crowd-funded or "backed" campaign product?

If that is the case, my brand new, virgin, unopened, SS HiBy R6 may be up for sale "AS IS". (Note that it would only be sold & shipped within the U.S.A.).

This unit has SO MUCH potential! I would really hate for HiBy to have major, unsolvable issues and setbacks with the Wi-Fi & Tidal streaming on this device. That would be a major blow to the company. :frowning2:

But even if the R6 is otherwise an amazing DAP, the fact remains that A LOT of people (including myself) decided to back this campaign based on marketing that promised excellent 2.4 & 5 Ghz Wi-Fi, Music Streaming, & Wireless DLNA & HiBy-Link features...plus the marketing of "DTA" functionality when using those Streaming apps. If Wi-Fi is essentially rendered unusable, ALL of those features are lost. :frowning2:

I'll admit that I was personally very hesitant in the beginning to back this campaign due to the R6 having just One microSD memory card slot. But what ultimately persuaded me to back the R6 campaign was the fact that Wi-Fi & TIDAL Streaming plus Wireless HiBy-Link and DLNA functionality would be available as key features, and would supplement the on-board storage.

Fingers-Crossed for all of the backers and HiBy Music Co.

Regarding the Wi-Fi issue, I guess Hiby did some hardware modification on it.
For my first R6 (the date of production should be on January), the WiFi has better reception, since I can receive the signal from my room to the router outside with 2 bar.
However, as my first R6 has some hardware problem, I has sent it back and Hiby return a new one to me (the date of production is March). For the second one, the WiFi reception has significant drop, since I can no longer receive stable WiFi signal from my room :frowning2:

But one more important thing to mention, for the first one (with good WiFi reception), it has obvious noise when listening to balanced with WiFi on, while the second one (with worse WiFi reception), has no noise at all, the background is completely black.
So, I am happy with this modification, I think they have just strike a balance between WiFi reception and the noise??? I don't know if my situation is just a single case or not, just for your information.

PS: As I am living in Hong Kong, I directly bought my R6 from Taobao, but they have installed an international version firmware for me, and I am now using firmware version: 1.16G_20180303-2255

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #3,003 of 6,628
Hi Guys, I tried to use the R6 as a source in my car, but the line out power is a bit weak? I need to turn my car speaker volume quite high to get good volume.

How do the line out mode works on this?

On my headphone, it sounds great though!
You will have to turn the volume of your R6 at full and then adjust the volume of your car's stereo according to preference.
Sadly, R6's line out function is not ''fixed'' output but adjustable like the headphone out.

May 10, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #3,004 of 6,628
You will have to turn the volume of your R6 at full and then adjust the volume of your car's stereo according to preference.
Sadly, R6's line out function is not ''fixed'' output but adjustable like the headphone out.

Thx, that might be why, I just assumed that it will go max volume like line out would normally be.
Need to be careful I guess, if i forget to return it back before leaving the car, it might blow my eardrum when I use headphone.

I wonder if this is something that can be change through software update.

May 10, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #3,006 of 6,628
I've decided to run speedtest on both my LG V30+ and Hiby R6 (which has Tidal buffering issues) side by side, approx 10m away from router. Very similar results up and down, but ping and jitter readings were alarmingly different. Sidenote: Australian internet is crap.

LG V30+
Download: 4.66 Mbps
Upload: 0.92 Mbps
Ping: 19ms
Jitter: 1ms
Loss: -%

Hiby R6
Download: 4.75 Mbps
Upload: 0.79 Mbps
Ping: 379ms
Jitter: 58ms
Loss: 0.4%

Have no issues streaming 720p videos from YouTube or the same Tidal tracks using UAPP, so confused whether or not Tidal streaming issue is hardware or software related. The YouTube streaming and UAPP capabilities have been telling me software, but that ping and jitter have me questioning it all over again.

May 10, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #3,007 of 6,628
That ping is pretty horrible. Anyway, I was able to test pointing the back of my R6 to the router and that does give me much better reception, go figure. The unit also seems sensitive enough that it displays an actual difference with the leather case on than without it, much to my surprise. I haven't tried streaming Tidal yet though; I've been mostly playing my own tunes from the HiBy Music App.

As for the balanced cable that I'm using for my HIFIMAN HE4XX, it's just a generic cable I got at Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDTD79G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a little stiff on the wires that connect to the headphones but no complaints other than that. They work better than the single-ended cable that was included with my phones as that one loses connection to the left earcup if I move around from time to time; I don't have that problem with the generic balanced cable.

I also have a pair of TFZ King Pro's and I got a Fiio balanced cable for them, but I went back to the single-ended cable that the King Pro's included. The Fiio cable has some horrible microphonics that the TFZ cable doesn't suffer from; I guess I'll have to keep looking to find a good balanced cable for the King Pro's.

20180508_122153.jpg

May 10, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,009 of 6,628
Hi. For all of you with weak wifi : instead of comparing 'bars', I think you should install something like Wifi Analyzer :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en
You'll have then power values.
Of course download speed is more interesting, but it is tied to your router type and internet speed (vary from internet provider/localisation...)

The bonus of using this is tweaking your wireless network to get the best performance / avoid heavy traffic from neighbouring devices.

edit : read for example : https://blog.learningtree.com/using-wifi-analyzer-to-examine-wi-fi-networks/
or watch

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,010 of 6,628
Dear all,

Regarding the R6's WiFi reception, we are trying to devise a WiFi reception strength test that can be carried out on your end to gauge whether your R6 passes muster or should be returned for repair / exchange.

For now, try getting the "Wifi Analyzer" app from Google Play and post screenshots of the signal strength graphs for 2.4G and 5G, 2 meters away from your router with no obstruction in between. Note your subjective impressions of connection quality over different distances in footnote on the same post.

Best regards,
Joe
HiBy Music service director

edit: @oliwek2 Great minds think alike? :p

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 10, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #3,013 of 6,628
May have an answer for you, 8th May was election day in Malaysia, things have been hectic past few days there.
My unit made it from Malaysia to Memphis via Dallas. Might be here Saturday if I'm lucky. Massdrop Elex due the same day.

May 10, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #3,014 of 6,628
My unit made it from Malaysia to Memphis via Dallas. Might be here Saturday if I'm lucky. Massdrop Elex due the same day.

My R6 is reported by FedEx as being in Memphis via Dallas right now as well. Also reported "Clearance Issue Resolved". Final destination is in SoCal. Hoping to get it before I head out of town for Mother's Day, but FedEx Economy International "Special Handling/Services" on my Tracking page say, "Deliver Weekday", and is currently scheduled for delivery on Monday the 14th by 8pm so it's not likely. :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #3,015 of 6,628
That's interesting. Most US backers I've seen posting got theirs via FedEx, but I got mine via DHL. Probably more convenient or cheaper to use DHL for Puerto Rico I guess, even if we are part of the US. DHL was insanely fast; I got the HiBy email on May 2 and I had my R6 on May 7. Just took them 5 days to get from their origin in Hong Kong to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back