HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 7, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #2,956 of 6,622
Photograppher, Writer, Programmer, Muisc Enthusiast and I need to lose some weight and get in shape :)

I just figured I wanted to test some DSLR cameras today. Found out that I prefer D7200 over D5600...

Silly me, I thought you were a reviewer :p

May 7, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,957 of 6,622
Of course you prefer the D7200! :)
The first time I realized I was able to change all of my shooting settings (on a D7000) without having to dig into a menu, I knew I could never go back to an entry-level camera!

And that viewfinder goodness :)

D5XXX viewfinder looks like... tiny :)

Silly me, I thought you were a reviewer :p

Fixed it for you :)

Reviewer XD, Photograppher, Writer, Programmer, Muisc Enthusiast and I need to lose some weight and get in shape :)

---

Welp, the issue still remains, I really hope you guys all stay in shape because getting in shape takes some time, and effort...

May 7, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,958 of 6,622
And that viewfinder goodness :)
D5XXX viewfinder looks like... tiny :)
Fixed it for you :)
Reviewer XD, Photograppher, Writer, Programmer, Muisc Enthusiast and I need to lose some weight and get in shape :)
---
Welp, the issue still remains, I really hope you guys all stay in shape because getting in shape takes some time, and effort...

R6 is too lightweight to keep you in shape when walking around with it, you need heavier daps :D

Also, you can always add a male stripper to your list of hobbies, to combine music with excercising, and to work R6 into that equation (gotta make sure I stay on topic in my reply :p).

May 7, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #2,960 of 6,622
R6 too light for exercise ? You must have selected aluminium
:laughing:

yeah, and that I usually workout with WM1Z in one hand and SP1000 in the other lol!!!

May 7, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #2,961 of 6,622
Hi Hiby,
the tracking number provided over still shows no information...(see below) when does the tracking start? Only when it reaches the destination country?
why is the AWB not tracking from the start of the origin country? how do i know where is the parcel when the tracking is not even showing or suppose to start tracking?

upload_2018-5-8_9-48-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-8_9-47-1.png
    upload_2018-5-8_9-47-1.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #2,962 of 6,622
My unit stuck, i was pkaying music and it stopped, screen is black only blue light is on, i can not activate it now do not react to anything. Any suggestions?

Hold the power button for 15 seconds. This should restart the player. Also send a message to @Joe Bloggs to see if he's got something up that wizard sleeve of his that can help out if the power button trick doesn't work.

May 8, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,967 of 6,622
Listening to my Stainless Steel R6 with the Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX through a balanced cable and loving it!

Of course, a few things did take me by surprise even after reading a whole bunch of reviews. Maybe all of these were expected by reviewers because the're used to the DAP market, but this is my first Android DAP so I was taken aback by the following things:

• The default launcher doesn't allow you to create folders within the app drawer. Probably silly, but that's the first thing I tried to do and it left me scratching my head.
  • Default launcher doesn't seem to let you create extra desktops. I haven't given up on it, but the truth is that if it's possible, it shouldn't be so difficult to figure it out. In the meantime, I downloaded Nova Launcher but since it doesn't support the HiBy Music App wallpapers, I have gone back to the default launcher.
  • No accelerometer? Whoah, this was big. Doesn't rotate pages and apps automatically. Again, this may not be an issue to those used to the DAP market, but it has really taken a while to get used to it. I did download an app called "Rotation Control" to be able to rotate the screen when necessary, but that's not as convenient as having an accelerometer would have been.
  • Very few options from the notification shade. There's only brightness, Wifi, Bluetooth, and Audio options. I suppose those are what really have any importance in a DAP, but it'd be nice to at least have a little shortcut to the Settings app and a quick toggle for the Line Out behaviour.
  • No light sensor, so no autobrightness but that's not a very big issue.
  • Wifi range is quite low. I thought the Nintendo Switch had a crappy Wifi antenna, but the R6 takes the cake. It performs fine when I'm in the same room as the router, but the signal quality goes south quick if I enter another room. All of my other devices maintain a good Wifi connection, but the R6 tends to lose it. Very disappointing in this aspect. Not sure if this is an issue with the stainless steel body (though the glass back should allow the signals to go through without an issue).
Now, these details may not be important for those that went in thinking DAP only and are more experienced with DAP's than I am. I just got into the audiophile hobby, and when I ran into the R6 I thought in Android terms first, so these details have really stood out to me and am surprised that I haven't run into a review that mentions these things (or maybe I missed them because I was too hyped).

Having said that, the following features have exceeded my expectations way beyond any reason:

• Screen quality. I knew it was an LCD, so I had certain expectations of it being a disappointing screen. However, it is actually a very bright screen that can hit eye-searing levels of brightness while keeping very high quality color reproduction and a very crisp presentation in regard to its resolution. It also has wonderful viewing angles; a big win altogether.
  • Performance is amazing! I expected some jerkiness because the CPU in the device is not the latest Snapdragon, but I suppose the 3GB of RAM coupled with the smart Android distribution (no needless clutter here!) are a match made in heaven for performance!
  • This is my first audio device with a 4-pole balanced connection and using it is lovely! Doing a great job pushing notes into HE4XX! Can't wait to get that balanced cable for my Sennheiser HD6XX to try them out with the HiBy as well!
At the end of the day, I am very pleased with my R6. Sure, I put more cons than pros there, but that's because I am listing the areas that are different from what I expected. At the end of the day, the R6 is an amazing device that I'm having a lot of fun with! I fed it some old Aerosmith and Michael Jackson DSD's and the quality was sublime. Unfortunately, I am not well-versed in the terminology so I can't provide any of those useful audio quality reviews as that is simply beyond my capability right now.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,968 of 6,622
My first unit was absolutely fine, wifi 5ghz and 2.4ghz worked perfectly, just micro sd card was not working, no any additional specific sound i heard due wifi was on, after i got replacement, wifi is very weak, it almost impossible to use Tidal, i hear some strange artifact noise while switching another song on Tidal via wifi, i need my first unit Joe just with fixed micro SD !!! It is not player noe which i liked so so m!

May 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #2,969 of 6,622
My first unit was absolutely fine, wifi 5ghz and 2.4ghz worked perfectly, just micro sd card was not working, no any additional specific sound i heard due wifi was on, after i got replacement, wifi is very weak, it almost impossible to use Tidal, i hear some strange artifact noise while switching another song on Tidal via wifi, i need my first unit Joe just with fixed micro SD !!! It is not player noe which i liked so so m!

Thoughts are your first unit was in the batch that reviewers were testing.

The second batch may have some changes in component quality? effecting wifi quality?

May 8, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,970 of 6,622
I was backer #163 so do not know if got second production batch, but firs R6 was without Any my mentioned problems, strange why first unit was getting good wifi signal and the new one is very poor on wifi, i did not changed nothing at home and tried wef days, but connection is iood as you are approx 2-3 meters from wifi station!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back